Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Adam Dunn - A picture is worth 1000 words

Adam Dunn - A picture is worth 1000 words

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/06/2...r_a1&eref=sihp

Article by Joe Posnanski is great, as always. The accompanying picture captures the essence of Dunn's 2011 season completely.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Adam Dunn - A picture is worth 1000 words

If the Sox pay half his salary , I would welcome a trade back to Cincinnati. He will snap out of the slump and be productive again.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

Better yet, they throw in John Danks and I would trade Arroyo straight up for him.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    If the Sox pay half his salary , I would welcome a trade back to Cincinnati. He will snap out of the slump and be productive again.
    nooo

I think he will rebound for a decent 2nd half. This is his first time in the AL, he hasnt seen the majority of these pitchers before. Once he familiarizes himself with the AL pitchers I would expect an uptick in his numbers.

I think he will bounce back somewhat in the second half. He can't continue to be this bad, can he?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I think he will bounce back somewhat in the second half. He can't continue to be this bad, can he?
    He has shown that he's not exactly a second half player...

-.234 career hitter in the month of August
    -.222 career hitter in the months of September/October
    -Only 39% of his career homeruns have come in the second half of season

To quote Marty...."How we looking partner?" "Not real good."
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    Dunn is an interesting case because he has gone from a model of consistency to absolutely awful. He's still walking at a good clip but he's striking out even more than ever and of course his power numbers are way down. That's power numbers that are easily spotted by the naked or trained eye and power in the eyes of the stat geek with his isolated power number. Fan graphs had an article bringing up that Dunn's drop in isolated power is not necessarily historic but it's very rare. His .143 isolated power average is ludicrously bad for a guy who's lifetime .265. Obviously the season isn't over for Dunn, but for the guys who had an isolated power drop of .100 or more points after at least 3 seasons of consistency, once their power numbers dropped that much they were pretty much done. There are a couple of exceptions or so, but in many cases history is not on Adam's side.

What has always been a problem for Dunn is he has "old player skills" and those guys a lot of times lose it and lose it quick. Even though he's not really "old" even by baseball player standards, guys with his skill set tend to lose it more rapidly than the slender, more athletic types.

Then again, Travis Hafner has bounced back. So maybe Dunn can as well. But he could very well also be close to being, well, done.

I can't find the article, but there was a quick interview with Dunn on the first day of ST asking when he started taking BP to prepare for the upcoming season. Dunn's comment was "about 20 mins ago" referring to his first ST batting session. Dunn to me is a "what you see is what you get" mentality that makes little effort to improve his game. He will continue to strike out a lot. If teams are willing to pay him a lot of money for the potential for 40+ home runs, regardless of his K ratio, he has no reason to improve. Granted, if he can't squeak out something close to 30+ home runs, his only useful skill will be gone. If his only means to get on base is via a walk, sign me up and I'll stand there with the bat on my shoulder and hope for 4 balls each at bat.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I like the guy....seems like a genuine, good, honest dude....but I don't want Adam Dunn the baseball player back in Cincy. Besides, I think he may be done.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

He may not be done, but he'll never be what he was again, and certainly not with the Reds. He'll never be able to play any position again other than DH and a poor 1B, and we have no such openings.

I always liked him and still do.Would like to go fishing with him.

Dunn had no business playing left field while he was here. Should have been at 1st base and we could have done without Hatteberg. He just hasn't adjusted to being a DH. So used to playing everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    Dunn had no business playing left field while he was here. Should have been at 1st base and we could have done without Hatteberg. He just hasn't adjusted to being a DH. So used to playing everyday.
    I agree with the shouldnt have been out there, but not buying he isnt adjusting to DH role cause he is used to playing every day.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?