Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if we are sellers?

What if we are sellers?

We've debated who we need to acquire to improve our bid to enter the playoffs a second year running. Should it be a starting pitcher? A LF with clout? A SS who doesn't have a noodle for a bat? We've identified the targets, speculated on what each might cost and argued long and hard about whether we need an MVP or ace, whether simply solid players might do, whether one acquisition or a mix of ringers are required, whether they can be rentals, etc., etc.

What hasn't entered into our debate as of yet? What if we aren't buyers at all? What if, heaven forbid, we are sellers? I realize that all of us would rather be hopeful, than Debbie Downers, but the reality is: One 4- or 5- game losing skid and we might suddenly be out of the hunt, not only well off the pace of the surging Brewers, but also buried behind the flailing Cards and smoke-and-mirror Pirates.

If that happens, all of our speculation over trade targets could be rendered obsolete. In the blink of an eye, we would then turn from shoppers into sellers. My challenge to you: What happens then? Who among our roster of players might we make available to competing teams? Who would attract the most attention? The likely suitors? The possible returns? And would you pull the trigger?

I have some thoughts along these lines, but I open the floor to all of you first. Don't by shy. If you think we can ship Edgar Renteria off the Nationals for Bryce Harper, have at it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What if we are sellers?

Has a team with a top 2 run differential in the league ever been sellers?

People whom do not have a foreseeable long-term future on the club and whom also could fill a role on any of several other teams in contention:

Cordero
    Renteria
    Gomes
    Lewis
    Cairo
    Arredondo

Thinking radically outside the box:

Phillips and Votto...........because realistically either one could be making huge $$$$ for someone else in the somewhat near future and either one would bring several nice prospects in return.

No one wants Volquez or Bailey because of durability issues.

Everyone will want Leake, Wood, and Cueto, but they will not be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Has a team with a top 2 run differential in the league ever been sellers?
    Don't know if that's happened before or not, but if we get to July 15, and we're in fourth place and mired 8-10 games behind the Brewers, we could well become sellers -- no matter what our run differential. It's not the run differential that gets anyone into the playoffs, but the differential in your W-L record vs. those of your divisional rivals.

I don't think the Reds would end up as pure sellers but rather a blend where they move someone like Ramon but also look to do a Rolen like move for the following season. There are not many parts that realistically would be moveable that would be considered for a move. The exceptions would be Phillips if no LTC is considered possible, same for Cordero. I could also see Arroyo being moved to Boston but nowhere else. They are a bit SP shy and he would be okay with that (I imagine) but nowhere else would take on his $ most likely.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I've been saying it a long time, but I think Francisco Cordero will be moved if we don't start winning. He'll be the first guy shipped out. Especially with the way he has performed this year.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Volquez would be getting more in arbitration, and he's turned down a LTC once. I'd see what we could get for him in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I've been saying it a long time, but I think Francisco Cordero will be moved if we don't start winning. He'll be the first guy shipped out. Especially with the way he has performed this year.
    Yes, the demand ought to be high for Cordero's services, given how well he has performed this year. Who would be his logical suitors? And which prime prospects might we get back in return if we agreed to pick up, say, $2-$3 million of the lingering balance due to our closer?

I dont think we will be sellers but guys that we could afford to move for prospects and guys that are deemed worth enough for others are:

1)Cordero- is a FA at the end of the year and has been lights out.
    2)Arredondo-teams always looking for MR
    3)Ramon Hernandez-with Mesoraco tearing up AAA he can be moved.
    4)Gomes-would fill a bat off the bench, DH role in the AL.
    5)Renteria-someone looking for a backup SS,Postseason experienced vet.

these guys are what I would try to move if we become out of it with Hernandez and Cordero netting us the most in return!

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    No one wants Volquez or Bailey because of durability issues.
    I think you'd find buyers for both of those guys, but you wouldn't come close to getting the value of their upside.

I think Cordero and Hernandez are the only guys who don't fit in to the plans and who could bring solid value.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I could realistically see Hernandez going because of Mesoraco. He'd be dealt for help right away though.

The Reds won't be sellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

What about what the CHI WS did in 1997 or so....when they called it "Raising the White Flag deals" and in 2 years were back in the playoffs?

It would be crazy to do it though when you are trying to rebuild your fan base again.

Middle of the road approach.....

I believe Hanigan has peaked, it might be a ripe time to move him to get value in return.

Ondrusek and his spiffed up ERA might be enticing for someone as well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

This isn't really a team built to sell even if we do fall out of the race. Hernandez would probably bring a good return, but other than that, I don't see any other realistic trade candidates fetching more than peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Volquez would be getting more in arbitration, and he's turned down a LTC once. I'd see what we could get for him in a trade.
    For Volquez, I'd take six hot wings at Buffalo Wild Wings and a case of Yuengling. Nothing more.

Turn Off Ads?