Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why not give Renteria a shot at being the everyday SS for a while?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why not give Renteria a shot at being the everyday SS for a while?

Hey, I would like Zack Cozart to be called up too ... not sure what they are waiting for there. But presuming Jocketty can be taken at face value (which I don't totally believe) that he's content with the tandem of Janish and Renteria, I think it's time for Renteria to be given a legit chance to be the starting SS. Not once every 4-5 games, but everyday for a couple or three weeks. Janish has been given a fair shake and has failed miserably. While Janish and Renteria have similar batting averages (.228 for Joft J; .230 for Renteria) Renteria has a much-higher on-base percentage (.314) due to him knowing how to take a walk. Janish has one of the lowest OBP for any regular starter I can ever remember (.255). He's taken seven walks in 219 ABs this year. There is no excuse for that from a punch-and-judy hitter IMO. If you are going to bat in the .220s, you better at least take a walk occasionally. And Janish sure makes a lot of errors for a "great" defensive SS.

I realize Renteria would be a step down in that department, but he would be a huge upgrade offensively. And I'm not suggesting that the Reds hand the job over to Renteria for the rest of the season. But what's wrong with giving him a fair shake for 2-3 weeks? You know, kind of like what the team has done with Janish all year. He's been given his chance. Now it's Renteria's turn IMO ... unless they decide it's finally time to give Cozart a shot. Renteria has never been given a chance to get in the lineup on a regular basis and get comfortable. I think he would do well if he did. And even as is, don't we want a guy with a .314 OBP in the lineup instead of a guy with a .255? .255 is almost too staggering to believe for an on-base percentage. Seven walks all year from Janish! Yet they keep giving him a chance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Why not give Renteria a shot at being the everyday SS for a while?

Is it possible for a man Renteria's age (or just Edgar period) to stay healthy being a starting SS in MLB? The possibility of losing that extra infielder off the bench must play into this equation.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Because he's not an upgrade offensively, and he's a severe downgrade defensively?

He hasn't shown much offense and hes made 2 more errors in about 200 less innings so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    He's taken seven walks in 219 ABs this year. There is no excuse for that from a punch-and-judy hitter IMO. If you are going to bat in the .220s, you better at least take a walk occasionally.
    Would you walk Paul Janish? No pitcher in his right mind is going to be nibbling the corners to a guy hitting .220 with zero power.

Edit: As I'm posting this I realize Renteria has a very healthy walk rate. What do you know
    Last edited by Superdude; 06-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Because he's not an upgrade offensively, and he's a severe downgrade defensively?
    He's not an upgrade offensively? Whaaaaaat? Renteria's on-base percentage is .80 points higher than Janish's. C'mon man, if you are going to bring an argument to the table, don't say something absurd like Renteria is not an offensive upgrade over Janish. They hit for about the same average but Edgar actually knows how to take a walk once in a blue moon.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter though. Cozart should have been called up yesterday. Or last week.

I'd much rather see Renteria DFA's than being the every day starter. I'm honestly shocked that anyone would want to see Renteria starting.

He's not an upgrade offensively? Whaaaaaat? Renteria's on-base percentage is .80 points higher than Janish's
    Renteria's OBP is entirely propped up by the best walk rate of his career. I think it's reasonable to question whether or not that will continue.

Honestly, it shouldn't matter though. Cozart should have been called up yesterday. Or last week.
    This very much. I'd rather not open the other spoiled milk in my fridge just because Walt says it's not time to go to the grocery yet.

He's not an upgrade offensively? Whaaaaaat? Renteria's on-base percentage is .80 points higher than Janish's. C'mon man, if you are going to bring an argument to the table, don't say something absurd like Renteria is not an offensive upgrade over Janish. They hit for about the same average but Edgar actually knows how to take a walk once in a blue moon.

No, he's not. Check out his last year of playing regularly. And that was 2 years ago. He's not. Janish's OPS was higher last year than the last 3 seasons of Renteria. Let that sink in. Then throw in the defensive difference. It's not even an argument.

Put it this way, big at bat in the game, say the 7th inning and runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out, who would you rather have at the plate...Renteria or Janish.

Renteria is the no brainer, but you can try and convince me otherwise. That right there just shows he is an offensive upgrade. Regardless of the numbers, just watching the two at the plate tells you Renteria is the better hitter of the two. He has a better approach, has more pop (even though its not much), and looks over powered a lot less.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Put it this way, big at bat in the game, say the 7th inning and runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out, who would you rather have at the plate...Renteria or Janish.

Renteria is the no brainer, but you can try and convince me otherwise. That right there just shows he is an offensive upgrade. Regardless of the numbers, just watching the two at the plate tells you Renteria is the better hitter of the two. He has a better approach, has more pop (even though its not much), and looks over powered a lot less.
    So use him as a pinch hitter. Janish's glove is worth a whole lot more than Renteria's bat. Their bats are a push at this stage or Renteria's career.

Neither should be starting-both are backups at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Renteria has three doubles this year and those are his only extra base hits. He doesn't have anything even resembling pop.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Is it possible for a man Renteria's age (or just Edgar period) to stay healthy being a starting SS in MLB? The possibility of losing that extra infielder off the bench must play into this equation.
    Very true. Although Edgar and Scott Rolen are roughly the same age, and they both need some down time, we can see how devastating the loss of Rolen is to the team (even though Cairo has been adequate). Good point.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?