Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Serious Question

Serious Question

First off: I don't get to see many of the games because I am usually working in the evenings. But it seems more often then not when we lose like last night, it is because we choose to pitch to the teams best player. Whether its Pujols in St Louis or Longoria in Tampa, etc. Meanwhile anything remotely high pressure results in Votto not getting anything remotely tempting to swing at.

A) Do I have a selective memory?
    B) Is this how others view it?
    C) Is this Dusty "trusting" the guys he has?
    D) Other?

Really want to know what others thinks because this is something that (when I have gotten to watch) drives me up a wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Serious Question

I mean besides tonight when has someones best player beat us? An aging Chipper beat us in Atlanta, Orlando hudson beat us in SD, Raul Ibanez beat us in Philly.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

selective memory....

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Votto had game winning HRs vs. Milwaukee, a three run homer that blew open a close game and a game winning single in Los Angeles in the month of June. That I'm remembering off the top of my head.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I can see pitching around Pujols and making just putting him on. I fear Pujols. Maybe a couple other guys like Kemp or Howard I'll be very careful with and pitch Votto-like. But Evan Longoria? He's a good player, but hardly a Pujols.

Its baseball. You go after guys.

Pay attention to the open sky

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

And Longoria has had a rough season so far. I imagine Cordero talked to Ondrusek after the game: "no inside pitches in the late innings."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I imagine Cordero talked to Ondrusek after the game: "no inside pitches in the late innings."
    I'm more upset that Cordero wasn't pitching the ninth. I would think that using your best reliever against the opposition's best hitters in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game is a no-brainer. He's hardly pitched lately (only 1 appearance since the 19th) and he's your bullpen ace. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    I'm more upset that Cordero wasn't pitching the ninth. I would think that using your best reliever against the opposition's best hitters in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game is a no-brainer. He's hardly pitched lately (only 1 appearance since the 19th) and he's your bullpen ace. Am I wrong in thinking this?
    I'm with you on this... I want to see our best reliever in high leverage situations, not just save situations. I'm more than fine with Bray being used against Damon in the 8th, but if that were a RH I would want Coco out there. Even as little as Coco has been used there is no way Dusty would use him for a 4 out save, even with the game in the balance.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Longoria is a talented kid, don't get me wrong, but he's struggled considerably this year. I don't think he's the best player on their team right now. But I do see the OP point. Frustrating.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I'm with you on this... I want to see our best reliever in high leverage situations, not just save situations. I'm more than fine with Bray being used against Damon in the 8th, but if that were a RH I would want Coco out there. Even as little as Coco has been used there is no way Dusty would use him for a 4 out save, even with the game in the balance.
    Very few things frustrate me more than a manager not using his best reliever in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. Who cares that it isn't a save situation -- if the opposition scores, you lose, so put your best pitcher out there.

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Very few things frustrate me more than a manager not using his best reliever in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game. Who cares that it isn't a save situation -- if the opposition scores, you lose, so put your best pitcher out there.
    His agent cares. "You have taken a potential save opportunity away from my client, which affects his ability to get paid, which in turn affects MY ability to get paid!"

I agree with you. From a baseball standpoint, I want my best out there in that situation, and then work backward in extra innings, if necessary--Cordero, Massett, Ondrusek, then LeCure. But the economics of baseball are a factor that cannot be ignored.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?