Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

Re: Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

I wonder how true this is. If this is a fait accompli, why isn't there more news about it than Gammons' tweet? Why isn't there anything on ESPN about it or MLB.com or Sports Illustrated? I checked the Houston paper and all I saw was an Astros blog with a statement from the Astros' owner to be denying anything has taken place.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...hange-al-move/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Better late than never. I've been calling this for the last 5 years. It made no sense to have one division with six teams and other division with four. Only MLB would do something so stupid. It was obvious the Astros would be the ideal team to move to the AL West because they'll have the natural rivalry with the Rangers. Also, Houston is nowhere near the rest of the five NL Central cities, which are all fairly close together. This makes too much sense and has for quite some time.

And I've read stuff that makes it sound like a done deal. Won't take effect until 2013, but it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Houston works better then the Milwaukee or Colorado because it gives Texas someone to play in their geographical area, unlike what they have now.

Now to get Tampa into the NL East....
    MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions. The only exception to this currently is the Pirates and Phillies:

Reds (NL) Indians (AL)
    San Fran (NL) Oakland (AL)
    Astros (NL) Rangers (AL)
    Marlins (NL) Rays (AL)
    Nationals (NL) Orioles (AL)
    Cardinals (NL) Royals (AL)

And recently:

Brewers (NL) Twins (AL)

This isn't counting the Yankees-Mets, White Sox-Cubs, and Dodgers-Angels, since they are within the same city or close to it.

I'd move Arizona to the AL West and Houston to the NL West:

NL Central-
    Cubs
    Reds
    Brewers
    Pirates
    Cardinals

NL West-
    Rockies
    Astros
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Giants

AL West-
    Angels
    DBacks
    A's
    Mariners
    Rangers
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions. The only exception to this currently is the Pirates and Phillies:

Reds (NL) Indians (AL)
    San Fran (NL) Oakland (AL)
    Astros (NL) Rangers (AL)
    Marlins (NL) Rays (AL)
    Nationals (NL) Orioles (AL)
    Cardinals (NL) Royals (AL)

And recently:

Brewers (NL) Twins (AL)

This isn't counting the Yankees-Mets, White Sox-Cubs, and Dodgers-Angels, since they are within the same city or close to it.

I'd move Arizona to the AL West and Houston to the NL West:

NL Central-
    Cubs
    Reds
    Brewers
    Pirates
    Cardinals

NL West-
    Rockies
    Astros
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Giants

AL West-
    Angels
    DBacks
    A's
    Mariners
    Rangers
    I'd personally say screw it and start over. 2 leagues, 15 teams each league, 3 divisions in each league, each division has 5 teams. All divided up geographically and still allowing for near proximity rivals. Both leagues either have the DH or don't have it. Balanced in both leagues. Personally, I'd abolish the DH and interleague play.

Balanced scheduling to equal the playing field. 18 games against each of your 4 in division opponents (72 games). 9 games against each of your other 10 in league opponents (90 games).

Natural geographic in-state rivals are colored

National League

West
    Mariners
    A's
    Giants

Dodgers
    Angels

Southwest
    Padres
    Diamondbacks
    Rockies
    Rangers
    Astros

Central
    Twins
    Cubs
    White Sox

Royals
    Cardinals

American League

Central
    Reds
    Indians

Blue Jays
    Tigers
    Brewers

Southeast
    Marlins
    Rays

Nationals
    Orioles

Braves

Northeast
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Phillies
    Pirates

I know it seems weird to have some teams in different leagues, but if we eliminate the stereotypes of the leagues (as in the DH stuff) then that's diminished considerably. It may look weird to have the Pirates in the same division as the Yankees, but it should actually help the pirates in the fact that they'll draw more fans due to the quality of their opponents and should see a rise in their income. I also like the fact that the 4 powerhouse teams in terms of finances are in the same division and thus will only get 1 team in the playoffs (possibly the wild card).

For the playoffs, I go with the 3 division winners and 1 wild card. Best overall record in each league plays the wild card regardless of wild card's record. 2 remaining division winners play each other. 1st round, best of 5. Pennant, best of 7. World series best of 7.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 10-14-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd personally say screw it and start over. 2 leagues, 15 teams each league, 3 divisions in each league, each division has 5 teams. All divided up geographically and still allowing for near proximity rivals. Both leagues either have the DH or don't have it. Balanced in both leagues. Personally, I'd abolish the DH and interleague play.

Balanced scheduling to equal the playing field. 18 games against each of your 4 in division opponents (72 games). 9 games against each of your other 10 in league opponents (90 games).

National League

West
    Mariners
    A's
    Giants

Dodgers
    Angels

Southwest
    Padres
    Diamondbacks
    Rockies
    Rangers
    Astros

Central
    Twins
    Cubs
    White Sox

Royals
    Cardinals

American League

Central
    Reds
    Indians

Blue Jays
    Tigers
    Brewers

Southeast
    Marlins
    Rays

Nationals
    Orioles

Braves

Northeast
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Phillies
    Pirates

I know it seems weird to have some teams in different leagues, but if we eliminate the stereotypes of the leagues (as in the DH stuff) then that's diminished considerably. It may look weird to have the Pirates in the same division as the Yankees, but it should actually help the pirates in the fact that they'll draw more fans due to the quality of their opponents and should see a rise in their income. I also like the fact that the 4 powerhouse teams in terms of finances are in the same division and thus will only get 1 team in the playoffs (possibly the wild card).

For the playoffs, I go with the 3 division winners and 1 wild card. Best overall record in each league plays the wild card regardless of wild card's record. 2 remaining division winners play each other. 1st round, best of 5. Pennant, best of 7. World series best of 7.
    Pittsburgh is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Philadelphia, and much closer to Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

National League

West
    Mariners
    A's
    Giants

Dodgers
    Angels

Southwest
    Padres
    Diamondbacks
    Rockies
    Rangers
    Astros

Central
    Twins
    Cubs
    White Sox

Royals
    Cardinals

American League

Central
    Reds
    Indians

Blue Jays
    Tigers
    Brewers

Southeast
    Marlins
    Rays

Nationals
    Orioles

Braves

Northeast
    Red Sox
    Yankees
    Mets

Phillies
    Pirates

I love this idea.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Report: Astros staying put in the National League

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/10/1...68&feedID=3716

According to the Chronicle, a spokesman for Jim Crane's prospective ownership group said there have been "no meetings about moving the Astros to the American League" as of Wednesday morning.

Crane's group is seeking to buy the Astros for $680 million.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    MLB most usually has two teams within close geographical areas in different divisions.
    True but all of the examples you listed have another team close by in their division.

Texas/Houston in the AL West together works better then two divisions then 1 team in the central time zone and 4/3 in the western time zones.
    Go Gators!

Report: Astros staying put in the National League

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/10/1...68&feedID=3716
    This can change quite easily if Bud lets them know moving to the AL is a part of being approved for ownership.
    Go Gators!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Pittsburgh is closer to Cincinnati than it is to Philadelphia, and much closer to Cleveland.
    But I think it's more useful to take advantage of in-state natural rivalries. 2 from Ohio, 2 from Pennsylvania.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This can change quite easily if Bud lets them know moving to the AL is a part of being approved for ownership.
    True, and that change can un-change if the current owners threaten to sue MLB for cramming the league switch down their throats and reducing the marketability of their team.
    Stick to your guns.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros...os-move-to-al/

Sounds like Crane will walk away from the sale if things aren't settled by Nov. 30th.

Is MLB negotiating in bad faith here by making the league switch a mandatory part of approving the sale? This has never been an issue for any other prospective ownership group in the history of the game.

All told, this could be easily settled with Arizona switching to the AL since they've said that they would have no problem switching leagues.

All told, this could be easily settled with Arizona switching to the AL since they've said that they would have no problem switching leagues.
    The problem is too many teams in the NL Central. How does moving Arizona solve that problem?

You would have to move NL Central teams west. I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The problem is too many teams in the NL Central. How does moving Arizona solve that problem?

You would have to move NL Central teams west. I don't see that happening.
    Easy, you move Houston to the NL West, where they were before the 3 division split.

Turn Off Ads?