Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Re: Cardinals discussion thread

ESPN's Schoenfield weighs in with a gem

Molina's spittle may have been unintentional, but his outburst was unprofessional and considering it happened in the 10th inning of a crucial game for his club, an alarming brain lock and lack of discipline for a veteran player.

As for the Cardinals going after Braun, it's typical La Russa. His guy gets hit -- La Russa even said he thought it was unintentional -- so he then intentionally hits your guy. This stuff seems to happen much more often with the Cardinals, doesn't it? I can't fault La Russa for wanting to protect his star, but his eye-for-an-eye behavior isn't going to stop teams from pitching inside to Pujols. La Russa knows that's part of the game, and his insistence on retaliation has become a tiresome and dangerous tactic.

But it makes for interesting baseball, issues to debate, and yet another club and fan base that finds the Cardinals rather loathsome. (Cincinnati welcomes you to the club, Milwaukee.)
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...uddenly-hotter
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Kinda wish we had a Brewers fan on here.
    Today, we are all Brewers fans.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Motte did not pitch near Braun's head. That is the issue. TLR doesn't even have a problem with pitching inside. Its the head and hand area that he has a problem with. Pujols was almost hit in the head tonight and when he moved out of the way it hit his hand. Think about it, if Votto was almost hit in the head by a ball, don't you think Baker would send a message to the other side the next inning?

Again, the ball that Motte threw was inside in the midsection of Braun and there was no danger of that ball breaking his hands or hitting him in the head.

It should also be noted that when Cardinals pitchers are first associated with TLR, one of the first rules he puts out there to his pitchers is never intentionally pitch toward a guys head. I have heard that TLR has this policy from several different pitchers and ex-pitchers that pitched under TLR.
    Again, and again, and again, LaRussa is not the Godfather of baseball, getting to determine what is "etiquette" and then enforce it with force himself. So, honestly, his policies and procedures manual that you are paraphrasing has no authority.....NONE!!!!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Again, and again, and again, LaRussa is not the Godfather of baseball, getting to determine what is "etiquette" and then enforce it with force himself. So, honestly, his policies and procedures manual that you are paraphrasing has no authority.....NONE!!!!
    Tony pulled the same stuff as the A's manager, stresses amazement and fear for his players (while deriding the other team as dangerous and small minded) meanwhile taking the complete opposite stance when his hurlers have the ball.

No manager ever ran faster out of the dugout to scream headhunter, nor has any manager stormed out faster to defend his pitcher against the same accusations. His lawyerish explanations concerning his actions in his little passion plays over the years are sour grapes and chest thumping nonsense 99% of the time and if anything just tarnish the mans image as a great manager in the history of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Think about it, if Votto was almost hit in the head by a ball, don't you think Baker would send a message to the other side the next inning?
    Give me a break. Your analogy holds no water. There have been several times this season that balls have come near Votto's head during an at-bat and the Reds haven't retaliated once, nor should they have. But feel free to keep trying to justify the ridiculous actions of LaRussa and company.

Reds fans love them some Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Reds fans love them some Cardinals
    They're like JTM, you know it ain't as good as they keep telling you it is.

Pujols is to this past decade as what Bagwell was to the 90s. There's a reason he's gotten plunked around the hands a few times.

Attack Cat!

What I enjoy is LaRussa's contention that he would have "only" tried to hit Braun (oops, I mean "send a message") twice.

I mean, he ducked out of the way of the first pitch, so we tried to plunk him again, but the second pitch, had he ducked out of the way of THAT one, that would have been it. No way I would have tried to hit him a THIRD time. Not us.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Tony pulled the same stuff as the A's manager, stresses amazement and fear for his players (while deriding the other team as dangerous and small minded) meanwhile taking the complete opposite stance when his hurlers have the ball.

No manager ever ran faster out of the dugout to scream headhunter, nor has any manager stormed out faster to defend his pitcher against the same accusations. His lawyerish explanations concerning his actions in his little passion plays over the years are sour grapes and chest thumping nonsense 99% of the time and if anything just tarnish the mans image as a great manager in the history of the game.
    Narcissism 101 right there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I don't see how anyone can defend the Cards' actions last night. That's just incomprehensible.
    Yes but it was very predictable. As soon as I heard Pujols got hit, I knew what was coming next as I watched on Sportscenter

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes but it was very predictable. As soon as I heard Pujols got hit, I knew what was coming next as I watched on Sportscenter
    Oh, I agree it was predictable. Based on their reaction when Cordero hit Pujols a few months ago, they have a history of leaping to absurd conclusion that teams are intentionally throwing at batters at that absolute worst times possible.

I can't stand LaRussa or this current Cardinals squad. But I love it, and I hope they stay relevant. I don't know about all of you, but I'm enjoying the divisional action a hell of a lot more NOW than I was a few years ago. I can't stand them, but I enjoy not being able to stand them. Makes the summer a lot more fun. Keep up the antics Tony!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I can't stand LaRussa or this current Cardinals squad. But I love it, and I hope they stay relevant. I don't know about all of you, but I'm enjoying the divisional action a hell of a lot more NOW than I was a few years ago. I can't stand them, but I enjoy not being able to stand them. Makes the summer a lot more fun. Keep up the antics Tony!
    Internet rumors have TLR moving back to the ChiSox after this year, and working for his friend Reinsdorf in some capacity, if not on the field. If so, things will go back to normal between the Cards and the rest of the NL Central, and the drama unfold anew in Chicago.

The Cardinals have always been a very good baseball organization, and I don't expect that will change when TLR moves on.

and I fully agree- I love watching them whine. Really, I laugh every time.
    sorry we're boring

Albert Pujols so far this series: 1-12, 0bb, 3k's. Wherever the Brewers are pitching Pujols, they should stay right there.

Turn Off Ads?