Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 358

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

  1. #166
    OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    594

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    ESPN's Schoenfield weighs in with a gem

    Molina's spittle may have been unintentional, but his outburst was unprofessional and considering it happened in the 10th inning of a crucial game for his club, an alarming brain lock and lack of discipline for a veteran player.

    As for the Cardinals going after Braun, it's typical La Russa. His guy gets hit -- La Russa even said he thought it was unintentional -- so he then intentionally hits your guy. This stuff seems to happen much more often with the Cardinals, doesn't it? I can't fault La Russa for wanting to protect his star, but his eye-for-an-eye behavior isn't going to stop teams from pitching inside to Pujols. La Russa knows that's part of the game, and his insistence on retaliation has become a tiresome and dangerous tactic.

    But it makes for interesting baseball, issues to debate, and yet another club and fan base that finds the Cardinals rather loathsome. (Cincinnati welcomes you to the club, Milwaukee.)
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...uddenly-hotter

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Kinda wish we had a Brewers fan on here.
    Today, we are all Brewers fans.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  4. #168
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Motte did not pitch near Braun's head. That is the issue. TLR doesn't even have a problem with pitching inside. Its the head and hand area that he has a problem with. Pujols was almost hit in the head tonight and when he moved out of the way it hit his hand. Think about it, if Votto was almost hit in the head by a ball, don't you think Baker would send a message to the other side the next inning?

    Again, the ball that Motte threw was inside in the midsection of Braun and there was no danger of that ball breaking his hands or hitting him in the head.

    It should also be noted that when Cardinals pitchers are first associated with TLR, one of the first rules he puts out there to his pitchers is never intentionally pitch toward a guys head. I have heard that TLR has this policy from several different pitchers and ex-pitchers that pitched under TLR.
    Again, and again, and again, LaRussa is not the Godfather of baseball, getting to determine what is "etiquette" and then enforce it with force himself. So, honestly, his policies and procedures manual that you are paraphrasing has no authority.....NONE!!!!
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  5. #169
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,825

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Again, and again, and again, LaRussa is not the Godfather of baseball, getting to determine what is "etiquette" and then enforce it with force himself. So, honestly, his policies and procedures manual that you are paraphrasing has no authority.....NONE!!!!
    Tony pulled the same stuff as the A's manager, stresses amazement and fear for his players (while deriding the other team as dangerous and small minded) meanwhile taking the complete opposite stance when his hurlers have the ball.

    No manager ever ran faster out of the dugout to scream headhunter, nor has any manager stormed out faster to defend his pitcher against the same accusations. His lawyerish explanations concerning his actions in his little passion plays over the years are sour grapes and chest thumping nonsense 99% of the time and if anything just tarnish the mans image as a great manager in the history of the game.

  6. #170
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,855

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Think about it, if Votto was almost hit in the head by a ball, don't you think Baker would send a message to the other side the next inning?
    Give me a break. Your analogy holds no water. There have been several times this season that balls have come near Votto's head during an at-bat and the Reds haven't retaliated once, nor should they have. But feel free to keep trying to justify the ridiculous actions of LaRussa and company.

  7. #171
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Reds fans love them some Cardinals

  8. #172
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,825

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Reds fans love them some Cardinals
    They're like JTM, you know it ain't as good as they keep telling you it is.

  9. #173
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,784

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Pujols is to this past decade as what Bagwell was to the 90s. There's a reason he's gotten plunked around the hands a few times.
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  10. #174
    Attack Cat! OUReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    681

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    What I enjoy is LaRussa's contention that he would have "only" tried to hit Braun (oops, I mean "send a message") twice.

    I mean, he ducked out of the way of the first pitch, so we tried to plunk him again, but the second pitch, had he ducked out of the way of THAT one, that would have been it. No way I would have tried to hit him a THIRD time. Not us.

  11. #175
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Tony pulled the same stuff as the A's manager, stresses amazement and fear for his players (while deriding the other team as dangerous and small minded) meanwhile taking the complete opposite stance when his hurlers have the ball.

    No manager ever ran faster out of the dugout to scream headhunter, nor has any manager stormed out faster to defend his pitcher against the same accusations. His lawyerish explanations concerning his actions in his little passion plays over the years are sour grapes and chest thumping nonsense 99% of the time and if anything just tarnish the mans image as a great manager in the history of the game.
    Narcissism 101 right there.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  12. #176
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,567

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I don't see how anyone can defend the Cards' actions last night. That's just incomprehensible.
    Yes but it was very predictable. As soon as I heard Pujols got hit, I knew what was coming next as I watched on Sportscenter

  13. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,855

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes but it was very predictable. As soon as I heard Pujols got hit, I knew what was coming next as I watched on Sportscenter
    Oh, I agree it was predictable. Based on their reaction when Cordero hit Pujols a few months ago, they have a history of leaping to absurd conclusion that teams are intentionally throwing at batters at that absolute worst times possible.

  14. #178
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    I can't stand LaRussa or this current Cardinals squad. But I love it, and I hope they stay relevant. I don't know about all of you, but I'm enjoying the divisional action a hell of a lot more NOW than I was a few years ago. I can't stand them, but I enjoy not being able to stand them. Makes the summer a lot more fun. Keep up the antics Tony!

  15. #179
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I can't stand LaRussa or this current Cardinals squad. But I love it, and I hope they stay relevant. I don't know about all of you, but I'm enjoying the divisional action a hell of a lot more NOW than I was a few years ago. I can't stand them, but I enjoy not being able to stand them. Makes the summer a lot more fun. Keep up the antics Tony!
    Internet rumors have TLR moving back to the ChiSox after this year, and working for his friend Reinsdorf in some capacity, if not on the field. If so, things will go back to normal between the Cards and the rest of the NL Central, and the drama unfold anew in Chicago.

    The Cardinals have always been a very good baseball organization, and I don't expect that will change when TLR moves on.

    and I fully agree- I love watching them whine. Really, I laugh every time.

  16. #180
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Cardinals discussion thread

    Albert Pujols so far this series: 1-12, 0bb, 3k's. Wherever the Brewers are pitching Pujols, they should stay right there.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25