Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

Re: Cardinals discussion thread

I don't expect Molina to draw a suspension anywhere near as long as the 30 days levied against Pete Rose for bumping an Ump but anywhere between 10-15 days would be nice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The Reds are not making the playoffs.

GO BREWERS! Frustrate the dog poo out of these babies!!
    This.

I really hope the Cards end up losing the division by 1 game.

If the Reds can't win the division, that's clearly the 2nd best way to end the season.

do the Cards even have another catcher? Seems like Molina catches every game

Last night was a very good night for Brandon Philips.

I would honestly be embarrassed to root for the Cardinals. I would be even more embarrassed to actually defend that display last night.

The cardinals continue to do a fine job of proving Brandon Phillips right.

I doubt there's a team in the NL (and throw in the royals since they routinely play the cards) that doesn't agree 100% with BP.

Barring a miraculous Reds run the next two months, go Brewers!

That pitch up and in on Albert the other night was a bit scary - intentional or not. Braun getting hit doesn't really bother me much. It was a message pitch and a fairly safe one at that. But that should have been it. LaRussa's ranting to reporters was sanctimonious and over the top as usual.

Oh, and if Tony is so worried about Albert getting hit in the hands, perhaps he should tell him not to set up with them hanging over the plate in the strike zone.

Molina last night looked absolutely silly. I watched the replay a few times from a few different angles. I can only guess that he was already jacked about some previoius calls because the one that he argued was a pretty good pitch. The worst part was that he chased the umpire around chest-bumping him and spraying him with spittle. And then after the game he made excuse after excuse for his actions never once taking responsibility.

And I think that is what rubs people the wrong way with the Cardinals. Nothing is ever even partially their fault. Always it seems that someone else has done them wrong and they are completely justified with their response.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Again, the ball that Motte threw was inside in the midsection of Braun and there was no danger of that ball breaking his hands or hitting him in the head.
    This is simply not true. First you mention Motte's poor control; if the ball goes up on him, Braun gets hit in the head. Then you mention the midsection. If Braun turns the wrong way, the ball hits his hands. If the ball goes a little bit less inside, it would have been right at his hands.

Anyone who thinks it is OK to throw directly at the other team's players, while whining about hand injuries to his own team, is fooling himself at best. The correct baseball etiquette is that it's OK to pitch inside, and the batter has to get his hands out of the way. If you bat with your hands in the strike zone, or right off the zone, you may get hit.

Make no mistake: when Larussa has his pitchers PURPOSELY hit the other team, in retaliation for an accidental HBP, that is escalating the situation and provoking problems. That my friends, is Cardinal baseball: Bush League.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Wow, what a swell bunch of guys! Yadi should have a nice long suspension. And TLR calling Brewers fans "idiots" was outta line too. Dusty's complacency ticks me off sometimes, but I'll take him over the downright jerk LaCrybaby is any day.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Make no mistake: when Larussa has his pitchers PURPOSELY hit the other team, in retaliation for an accidental HBP, that is escalating the situation and provoking problems. That my friends, is Cardinal baseball: Bush League.
    This x 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Oh, and who was that Brewers reporter? He deserves a promotion!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Every player loses his cool. Its nothing new in baseball. Get over it.
    What's up with the Cardinal fan coming onto our board telling us to "get over" stuff?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Oh, and if Tony is so worried about Albert getting hit in the hands, perhaps he should tell him not to set up with them hanging over the plate in the strike zone.
    this

Watch Pujols set up- his hands are in the strike zone. He could get hit by a pitch that would otherwise be a strike, if he didn't move.

Pitching inside is part of the game, and what all great pitchers do. How would Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale pitch to Pujols?
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Liar/Hypocrite... Business as usual for DUI Tony.

You would think a lawyer would be more adept at avoiding such obvious self-incriminating statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Oh, and who was that Brewers reporter? He deserves a promotion!

According to Brewers' fans, it was Greg Matzek of Sportsradio 620 AM in Milwaukee.

I'm a fan.

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/directory/44931567.html

All I can go by is what was said in a local interview with one of the Cardinals insiders. Carpenter was responding to what your announcer said about "whining" on the field. He told the reporter that he was willing to pitch through the smoke but the ump came to him and told him not to throw.

It was the same thing with the mound. The umpire came up to Carpenter between innings asking if something needed to be put down on the mound to make it easier to pitch. He didn't really lobby for it. Even if he did, he isn't the first pitcher in the history of baseball to ask for dirt to be put on a wet mound. It happens all the time. Carpenter didn't understand the issue that your broadcaster had. Your broadcaster just seemed to react to the situation without knowing the whole story.
    I appreciate your viewpoint and respect you putting yourself "out there" on a Reds board... but I need to question this logic.

Isn't it possible - probable, even - that Carp would downplay his antics in an interview with a friendly so as not to look like he's whining?

You say someone on here is not looking at the whole picture... but couldn't the same be said in return?

I always ask myself... if that guy was on my team, would I defend him or even enjoy his antics? But Carp is just one guy (Hines Ward is the other) I can not say that about. This is the same guy that makes no attempt to hide his displeasure with his defense behind him or how long they take to set up... all the way to the point of taking a guy barely into the dugout tunnel and balling him out about it.

Sorry... you say we should take Carp's side into consideration. I say we've learned enough about him to say he doesn't get the usual grain of salt consideration.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?