Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Cardinals discussion thread

Looks like Molina is suffering some of that "roid rage"

"According to Craig Mish of SiriusXM, catchers Yadier Molina and Gerald Laird got into an “ugly” fight on Wednesday night after arriving in south Florida for a four-game series against the Marlins."

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ht-last-night/

2. Turn Off Ads?

All major league managerial jobs are highly sought after. There's only 30 of them, and if a guy doesn't think he's the answer, then he has no chance.
    So you think a managerial job in Oakland is as desirable as the job in St. Louis? You would be kidding yourself if you think it is on the same level. Managers don't leave their teams to pursue a job in Oakland or even Pittsburgh. There would be managers from other ball clubs that would leave in an instant if they can go to a place that gets 3.5 million fans a year, gets financial support from management, management willing to do anything to put a winning team on the field, and constantly in the playoff picture. It may sound pompous but there are few places in baseball that are desirable for players and managers to go. Boston, Yankees, and now Philly would be considered prime destinations. St. Louis has for at least 50-60 years have been one of those places. You may hate the Cardinals but you can't deny those factors.

By the way, David Freese might be the most unluckiest players in baseball. Dude gets hit in the head by a ball. Another injury due to bad luck rather than being injury prone. Hope he is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post

"According to Craig Mish of SiriusXM, catchers Yadier Molina and Gerald Laird got into an “ugly” fight on Wednesday night after arriving in south Florida for a four-game series against the Marlins."

But Molina is such a great guy! All the Cardinals fans say so!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Really?

It's just that easy eh?
    You didn't hear? The St. Louis Cardinals are God's gift to the earth.

Luck is a skillset, especially if it means staying healthy.

Just ask Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Luck is a skillset, especially if it means staying healthy.

Just ask Cal.

I guess with David Freese it is, lol. Dude gets in a car wreck and screws up his ankles. They weren't fully healed and he tweeked them a bit last year. During rehab, he drops a weight on his foot and out for the rest of the year. This year, he gets hit on the hand by a pitch and is out for two months with a broken hand. Now he gets hit in the head by a pitch and has a mild concussion with a contusion. I have a feeling he is going to be ran over by a bus sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm just saying that if I'm hedging my bets on who is going to be the next Cardinals manager, its going to be Joe Maddon. They could go outside the box and hire some unknown guy from the minor league system but the guy who replaces TLR is going to need to have some "juice" in my opinion. Its going to be a highly sought after managerial job as well so there might be some other big named candidates in there.
    I always thought Tony LaDoubleday was keeping the seat warm for Jose Oquendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I always thought Tony LaDoubleday was keeping the seat warm for Jose Oquendo.
    I think Cards fans want Oquendo but I have a feeling they are going to go with someone with a lot of managerial experience. Oquendo I think would be a good manager but he might be best served to start somewhere with a young team where success isn't needed immediately. There might be tons of pressure on the next manager following TLR. Again, I know you guys hate him here and that's fine. However from a pure baseball standpoint, it is hard to followup a manager with that much success plus in a situation where the emphasis is to win a division every single year instead of going into rebuild mode.

I think Cards fans want Oquendo but I have a feeling they are going to go with someone with a lot of managerial experience. Oquendo I think would be a good manager but he might be best served to start somewhere with a young team where success isn't needed immediately. There might be tons of pressure on the next manager following TLR. Again, I know you guys hate him here and that's fine. However from a pure baseball standpoint, it is hard to followup a manager with that much success plus in a situation where the emphasis is to win a division every single year instead of going into rebuild mode.
    I think it could be done. Joe Torre did it with Don Mattingly in LA, so its definitely possible in St Louis.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

So you think a managerial job in Oakland is as desirable as the job in St. Louis? You would be kidding yourself if you think it is on the same level.
    He didn't say that.

He said all managerial jobs were sought after.

He made no comment on ranking desriability.

Puffy, I probably should have included the whole quote. This was added in there too:

Is this the same thinking, that has been proven wrong, that players are just falling all over themselves and taking lesser contracts to play in "baseball city?" Managers too, huh?
    I was kind of responding to that as well.

No question that that all managerial jobs are sought after. I'm just saying that there are more desirable places than others and there would be situations where managers from other teams would leave their current position to go to a more desirable place.

Completely out of Molina's character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Geez. Who to root for in that fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Grim Reaper?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Uh...Laird, or whoever else was involved...except players named Carpenter or...no, that's it.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?