Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

Re: Cardinals discussion thread

Some say losing Brandon Phillips would crush the Reds fan base.

Surely Albert Pujols is just as vital if not more important to the Cardinal fan base.

2. Turn Off Ads?

More trouble in paradise related to alcohol in the St. Louis Orgabization. This time top prospect and rotation savior Shelby Miller is suspeneded

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5977/shelby-miller

The Cardinals have suspended top prospect Shelby Miller indefinitely for violation of team policy
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    They won't lose Pujols. St. Louis has a very important factor working in their favor: The Yankees and Red Sox are already committed long-term to big-money first basemen. If there were an opening with one of those two teams, all bets would be off. But right now? Where he's going to go? The Cubs? Yeah right. I suppose a West Coast team could make a play for him (the Angels or Giants ... not the Dodgers since they are broke) but I doubt they will offer him more than St. Louis does. I think the Cardinals will be willing/able to at least match whatever another team offers since the Yankees and Red Sox won't be a part of the bidding.
    I actually think a dark horse in all of this is the Texas Rangers. They have yet to maximize profits and their TV deal they signed last year is the largest TV deal to a team that doesn't have its own network. That deal is worth 3 billion over the next 20 years. They have a ton of money they can spend on any given free agent. Plus, with Michael Young's huge contract coming off the book in the next year or so, they might be the one team that can compete with any team in baseball over Pujols.

Since when is gettting 3.5M fans once in the franchise's existence become a place "that gets 3.5 million fans a year"?
    Sorry Puffy I wasn't accurate. Let me rephrase even though the point is valid and still remains the same. There would be managers from other ball clubs that would leave in an instant if they can go to a place that gets 3.2-3.5 MILLION fans per year, gets financial support from management, management willing to do anything to put a winning team on the field, and constantly in the playoff picture.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I actually think a dark horse in all of this is the Texas Rangers. They have yet to maximize profits and their TV deal they signed last year is the largest TV deal to a team that doesn't have its own network. That deal is worth 3 billion over the next 20 years. They have a ton of money they can spend on any given free agent. Plus, with Michael Young's huge contract coming off the book in the next year or so, they might be the one team that can compete with any team in baseball over Pujols.

Sorry Puffy I wasn't accurate. Let me rephrase even though the point is valid and still remains the same. There would be managers from other ball clubs that would leave in an instant if they can go to a place that gets 3.2-3.5 MILLION fans per year, gets financial support from management, management willing to do anything to put a winning team on the field, and constantly in the playoff picture.
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about the Rangers, but that makes sense. That said, I will be shocked if Pujols signs anywhere else than with the Cardinals.

You guys know you're keeping Albert. You're just mentally preparing for the worst in case he LeBrons you. But deep down you know he's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about the Rangers, but that makes sense. That said, I will be shocked if Pujols signs anywhere else than with the Cardinals.

You guys know you're keeping Albert. You're just mentally preparing for the worst in case he LeBrons you. But deep down you know he's not going anywhere.
    I would like it to happen but not at the expense of not putting a competitive team on the field. Still, there is some room for payroll expansion even more so than this year and I have a feeling people would be willing to pay higher ticket prices/concessions if that means keeping a player like Pujols.

I think you are right about Texas' werewithal, but I'd guess they'll throw it all at CC when he opts out. They may not get him, but I'll bet the Yankees will need to pay through the nose to keep him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Well, the way the season is turning out, the Reds fans won't have to put up with LaRussa much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards decided to move in a different direction in the off season.

Well, the way the season is turning out, the Reds fans won't have to put up with LaRussa much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards decided to move in a different direction in the off season.
    I don't like TLR. I don't like his antics nor the way he views him self related to the game. That said I think he has done a pretty good job keeping the Cards relevant over the past few seasons with a less talented team. You also have a GM who is trading key everyday regulars for BOR starters with pricey contracts. I think TLR's antics were done in part to give his team a boost. I have a feeling if TLR leaves the Cards may be destined for a couple of difficult seasons.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

and neither will Cards fans, Mike.

Interweb rumor has him perhaps going to Chicago to work for his buddy Reinsdorf, maybe in the front office?

TLR, at the end of the day, will be considered one of the great managers of our time. And he is. His "gamesmanship" gets tiresome, especially when he complains when the tables are turned on him. No one likes hypocrisy.
    sorry we're boring

nm

Two times in the last two years, the Cards have folded when faced with adversity. Last year, the brawl with the Reds. This year, the skirmish with the Brewers. After both series, the Cards collapsed. I think LaRussa has run his course in St. Louis. But if they let him go, will Albert stay? Tough situation to be in.

The bigger question to me, if/when TLR leaves, what does Dave Duncan do? I think Dave Duncan has meant more to TLR's success as a manager than any tactics, lineups or advice TLR has Dished out over the years.

He'll be 66 next year, will St Louis give him a shot at manager, does he even want to be a manager, I'm surprised he's never had a chance somewhere, is he ready to hang 'em up?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    The bigger question to me, if/when TLR leaves, what does Dave Duncan do? I think Dave Duncan has meant more to TLR's success as a manager than any tactics, lineups or advice TLR has Dished out over the years.

He'll be 66 next year, will St Louis give him a shot at manager, does he even want to be a manager, I'm surprised he's never had a chance somewhere, is he ready to hang 'em up?
    He changes careers and becomes Johnny Cueto's personal barber.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Stay classy Albert!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...rn=mlb-wp17848

Honestly, the play itself would have been noteworthy. But then, when Pujols stopped his momentum, he locked eyes with a gentleman standing along the railing with his arms extended. Pujols approached the fan, stuck out his glove in what appeared to be an invitation to take the ball, and then snatched it away and returned the ball to the infield.

Hes a Brewers fan so he probably deserved it.

Turn Off Ads?