Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals discussion thread

Re: Cardinals discussion thread

Now, lets discuss Berkman. I can't believe he's still hitting, but he keeps doing it, even against LH pitching. So, do you give him an extension? How much and how many years. How far would you go?
    lol dang I thought I was just going to leave it in my last message but this is actually an intriguing question. I think maybe Berkman is at the point in his career where he might sign for less if that means staying on a winning ballclub. Sure, he could sign for the big bucks but I get a feeling he really likes the chemistry on the Cardinals. Who knows. What ever happens he has been pleasure to watch and I wish more power to him where ever he goes.

By the way, I think the injury Pujols had was kind of misunderstood a bit. Many people said it was a broken wrist but it was actually a non-displaced fracture on the forearm and it was almost like a hair-line fracture of sorts. The Cards kind of made it sound worse than it really was. Pujols is still playing with the "fracture" but normal baseball activities will not hurt it more or there isn't a greater chance that it will become worse. Pujols has played through pain all his career so it didn't really surprise me that he came back as soon as he did.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm not trying to bring my personal issues into the Red Zone but it is so good to be back in the forum. I have spent a week in the hospital due to Crohn's disease issues and it is good to have some sort of normalcy back, debating baseball topics. There are too many issues that were covered this week on the forum to catch up on and respond to though so all I'm going to say is great to be back (much to the chagrin of some of the Reds fans here ) in the Red Zone. I wish the Reds and their Fans good luck the rest of the season and I really hope it will be a good NL Central fight down the road.

Glad you are home and feeling better.

I'm not trying to bring my personal issues into the Red Zone but it is so good to be back in the forum. I have spent a week in the hospital due to Crohn's disease issues and it is good to have some sort of normalcy back, debating baseball topics. There are too many issues that were covered this week on the forum to catch up on and respond to though so all I'm going to say is great to be back (much to the chagrin of some of the Reds fans here ) in the Red Zone. I wish the Reds and their Fans good luck the rest of the season and I really hope it will be a good NL Central fight down the road.

Not to make light of your illness but right now the Reds look like they are playing with more than a few diseases. Hope you are feeling pain free for the rest of the year.

Thank you everyone

Good to see you back, Mike. Hope you are feeling better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Between St. Louis and Milwaukee, if both stay healthy in the rotation, whoever gets their bullpen straightened out first will win this division. They're both around 4 era this year, and St. Louis has 16 losses out of their pen to Milwaukee's league high 20 losses. The Reds have 18 losses themselves but with a top 10 bullpen era in baseball it seems a bit unlucky. NY, CLE, TB and PHI have the least bullpen losses.

I firmly believe the Cards have the best rotation in the division (best WHIP and OPS) and just need another quality arm (starter or reliever) at the deadline to pull away. Their offense is better than Cincinnati now that it's healthy with Frease and, ahem, Albert.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Between St. Louis and Milwaukee, if both stay healthy in the rotation, whoever gets their bullpen straightened out first will win this division. They're both around 4 era this year, and St. Louis has 16 losses out of their pen to Milwaukee's league high 20 losses. The Reds have 18 losses themselves but with a top 10 bullpen era in baseball it seems a bit unlucky. NY, CLE, TB and PHI have the least bullpen losses.

I firmly believe the Cards have the best rotation in the division (best WHIP and OPS) and just need another quality arm (starter or reliever) at the deadline to pull away. Their offense is better than Cincinnati now that it's healthy with Frease and, ahem, Albert.
    I kind of like what the Cards are doing with their bullpen. Management has actually woken up from its use of old veterans by getting rid of Miguel Batista and Ryan Franklin. They are finally letting young arms have a chance to succeed. Sanchez is coming back from the DL after the All Star break so that should give them a boost in the bullpen. I have also liked what I have seen from Lance Lynn. He projected to be an ok to mediocre starter but he has really done a nice job in the pen since he was put in there. The biggest flaw with the Cards bullpen is their left handed relief and I don't see any quick fixes in that regard.

I kind of like what the Cards are doing with their bullpen. Management has actually woken up from its use of old veterans by getting rid of Miguel Batista and Ryan Franklin. They are finally letting young arms have a chance to succeed. Sanchez is coming back from the DL after the All Star break so that should give them a boost in the bullpen. I have also liked what I have seen from Lance Lynn. He projected to be an ok to mediocre starter but he has really done a nice job in the pen since he was put in there. The biggest flaw with the Cards bullpen is their left handed relief and I don't see any quick fixes in that regard.
    IMO, it would behoove them to slightly overpay at the deadline for an arm that will shore them up for the year. Not sure if that means Shelby Miller for Anibel or Nolasco or the ilk, but they should do something soon.

IMO, it would behoove them to slightly overpay at the deadline for an arm that will shore them up for the year. Not sure if that means Shelby Miller for Anibel or Nolasco or the ilk, but they should do something soon.
    Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez are untouchable right now if the Cards are going to sign Pujols. Those two pitching prospects will be great in the rotation in a year or two and will add cost certainty for a large payroll. With the drafting of Wong this year at 2nd, I think Zach Cox becomes almost a player without a position in the Cardinals organization sort of like what Brett Wallace was a couple of years ago. I could see a Zach Cox type trade for something.

That said, I don't know if there is a whole lot out there the Cards can get. Heath Bell is the big name but I don't see the Cards giving up a lot for a rental player. They might have to just live with what they have. Though with Dave Duncan's history, they might be able to find a diamond in the rough somewhere out there.

Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez are untouchable right now if the Cards are going to sign Pujols. Those two pitching prospects will be great in the rotation in a year or two and will add cost certainty for a large payroll. With the drafting of Wong this year at 2nd, I think Zach Cox becomes almost a player without a position in the Cardinals organization sort of like what Brett Wallace was a couple of years ago. I could see a Zach Cox type trade for something.

That said, I don't know if there is a whole lot out there the Cards can get. Heath Bell is the big name but I don't see the Cards giving up a lot for a rental player. They might have to just live with what they have. Though with Dave Duncan's history, they might be able to find a diamond in the rough somewhere out there.
    Yeah, ya know relieving is a funny thing, in the Cards case they may want to sign a bunch of guys, trade for some others without giving much up and see what sticks, although a guy like Heath Bell would really make them a top notch squad and a WS dark horse. They've got the bats to face Philly, I think.

Yeah, ya know relieving is a funny thing, in the Cards case they may want to sign a bunch of guys, trade for some others without giving much up and see what sticks, although a guy like Heath Bell would really make them a top notch squad and a WS dark horse. They've got the bats to face Philly, I think.
    I will say that with the Cardinals full lineup, there isn't a lot of easy outs there. Rasmus is an enigma right now and its frustrating to see him turning into another JD Drew but he is still a dangerous bat at times. I would say that Schumaker is probably be the easiest out of them all but he has really come on after missing time on the DL and getting playing time under his feet. The last 28 days he has been hitting .311 with .361 OBP. I'll take that in the 8 hole.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I have also liked what I have seen from Lance Lynn. He projected to be an ok to mediocre starter but he has really done a nice job in the pen since he was put in there.

Lynn reminds me of Sam Lecure.

His stuff plays up much better out of the pen.

But How does Carpenter explain this thread to his son?

It just had to be asked.

Lynn reminds me of Sam Lecure.

His stuff plays up much better out of the pen.
    Puffy, I totally agree with you. His velocity seems higher when coming out of the pen. I guess its because he can let it fly instead of trying to save energy as a starter.

Really though, there is way anyone can explain this thread to his son

The Colby Rasmus issue in St. Louis has become intriguing. It would not surprise me if the Cards decide to wash their hands with him at the trade deadline. Here is an interesting read about the situation:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...a4bcf6878.html

Turn Off Ads?