Turn Off Ads?

Thread: NBA Lockout

NBA Lockout

It will officially begin at midnight tonight. I personally think that we won't see basketball for quite a while. The NBA economic system is broken and it will be painful to fix it. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a few fewer teams when business does resume. I hope I'm wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA Lockout

The NBA needs to contract teams and radically reform their economic model. I don't know if it will happen but the league is in bad shape. This is a shame since interest is just now rebounding from the last labor strife. I almost always side with the players in labor disputes, but in this case it is hard to justify. Unlike the NFL, which is insanely profitable and the owners just want a bigger cut, the majority of NBA teams (17) lost money last year. Since the NBA is willing to open its books I am also willing to trust ownership's word a lot more than the ultra-secretive NFL leadership.

The owners have to be able to get out from under the awful contracts that cripple them.

It would be unfortunate, but I do think contraction would help the quality of the game. It seems a little thin and there are some awful teams.

So how would my fandom work if the Timberwolves fold? Do I get a "Get out of Jail Free" Card where I can choose, or do I automatically have to root for the team closest to me?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    So how would my fandom work if the Timberwolves fold? Do I get a "Get out of Jail Free" Card where I can choose, or do I automatically have to root for the team closest to me?
    I think that if your team contracts or leaves town you are allowed to root for whoever you want. In your case though once that happens your new team will automatically hire David Kahn to be the GM.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 07-01-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Good question. If my team was contracted I would probably follow my favorite player(s) from that team.

My view is if a team that you root for leaves or goes under then you get to pick a new team.

I think you would have to go to your secondary favorite team. Or follow your current favorite player to his new team.

I'm not sure if it would be acceptable to change your new team to like the Miami Heat or something liek that. That might be a little unethical.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...uled-nba-world

This is a lenghty column by Bill Simmons, but is a great read with some really good ideas.

Turn Off Ads?