Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone recognize this plant?

Anyone recognize this plant?

Somebody posted these on another message board, saying they planted some seeds without knowing what they were and he still doesn't know what it is. And I'm just curious and figured this might be sort of a fun puzzle for people who know one plant from another. Also, somebody on the other board told him to taste it, and that immediately made me wonder if it might be poisonous. Some of the posters there don't seem too nice.

"Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone recognize this plant?

i think this is money plant

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Looks like Mint. I think we have some in the garden.
    Smell it.
    (BTW, I know nothing about this stuff, I'll ask my gardener (wife))

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Looks like Mint. I think we have some in the garden.
    Smell it.
    (BTW, I know nothing about this stuff, I'll ask my gardener (wife))

You can tell mint by the stem, it is squared, not round

I would need to see more pics but it appears to be a weed. Common in potting soil, especially from miracle grow or promix. What happens in those bags of soil is wild. There are crazy amounts of bugs in those bags and you get the stray seed or 2 from weeds that don't get burned out from the time release nutrients.

If you can take more pics I can tell you for sure. But from what I see it's the same look of the weeds I get in my container plants. The only other option I see is maybe a plant that's called the "ice plant" sold in many greenhouses. Let it grow and see see if it flowers. Once it flowers you'll know for sure what it is by searching for the flower on the net or posting a pic on here.

in the first picture it looks like purslaine.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    You can tell mint by the stem, it is squared, not round
    So, I'm right: I know nothing about this stuff.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

He posted some more pics:

Purslane was also mentioned by someone on the other board, as well as eggplant, purseplant, and salvia.

And, it's okay, oneupper, I know nothing about plants and those leaves reminded me of catnip, which looks a lot like mint to me, too.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Someone on the other board figured it out from that flowering in the last picture. A few hints: Lidspinner was kind of on the right track, it's something you'd likely consider a weed and it pops up all over, that indent in its leaves is just a less common variation that made it harder to find a google images match. But you might buy its seeds if you're on a gluten free diet or its greens if you're into ethnic cooking or trendy health food.

I dropped it into google reverse image search and found that it's either a large tortoise or an unidentified blue Romanian bird. I can't swear to the accuracy of the results.

Turn Off Ads?