Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have my first game tonight

Time is the Revelator.

I have my first game tonight

Soo.. I joined an amature wooden bat baseball league here in Nashville and our first game (after two previous rain outs) is tonight. Mind you I haven't played baseball in over 10 years and I'm not in the best of shape

.. but I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Most of the guys are mid 20's-30's.

I'm going with no batting gloves, lots of pine tar and high socks

Not sure what position I will be playing. Wish me luck.

Oh and if there is anyone in the area [Nashville] who is interested, let me know. I think they could use a few more players. Everyone gets to play at least 4 innings a game, too.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: I have my first game tonight

Good luck man. Pine tar and high socks is always a thing you would want, I feel.
    Cool Story Bro time:

I joined a softball league about 7 years ago with a guy I worked with. I was pretty much a legend in my own mind at this point. I all but guaranteed a championship for the team to go with my MVP award. I probably made it seem like they signed Willy Mays, looking back on it.

I failed so hard I cannot even describe it in words. I went ~3-11 in two games, before spraining an ankle running into first base. Didn't play a game the rest of the season due to the ankle. 3 singles into shallow left field, after all the trash talk I put out.

I really really really hope you didn't fare like me.

I am jealous. I played in a 30 and up league until I was well into my 40s. I am 58 now and would love to play...but no one really wants me anymore.

At least the muscle pulls and various pains are behind me.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Definitely let us know how it goes. I've seen leagues like that around Columbus, but I think I'll stick to softball, little more my speed these days!
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Good luck man. Pine tar and high socks is always a thing you would want, I feel.
    Cool Story Bro time:

I joined a softball league about 7 years ago with a guy I worked with. I was pretty much a legend in my own mind at this point. I all but guaranteed a championship for the team to go with my MVP award. I probably made it seem like they signed Willy Mays, looking back on it.

I failed so hard I cannot even describe it in words. I went ~3-11 in two games, before spraining an ankle running into first base. Didn't play a game the rest of the season due to the ankle. 3 singles into shallow left field, after all the trash talk I put out.

I really really really hope you didn't fare like me.
    I made sure everyone had very low expectations of me going in just in case.

So, what happened?

I went 0-2, 2 BB, 1 RBI, 3 R, 1 SB, 1 K
    Struck out on a reliever they brought in who was throwing in the 90s. Sigh.

Not playing in at least 10 years really showed at the plate. However, I did make some decent contact. I'll get it down - but it's going to take a few games for sure.

I ended the night as the dirtiest player in the game Stole 3rd and then scored on a wild pitch. Mind you, I am not fast or small. 6 FT, 195.

It was a lot of fun and I got banged up a bit. Played 2nd base for the whole game. We won 17-7 I believe someone said over 10 errors were made by both teams. First game jitters and a few players like me who haven't played in a long time really stood out.

We have a double header Sunday! This is a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post

I went 0-2, 2 BB, 1 RBI, 3 R, 1 SB, 1 K
    .500 OBP - Hall of Fame material!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Struck out on a reliever they brought in who was throwing in the 90s.
    You gotta be kiddin' me?

Have fun, I play in a 28+ plus wood bat league and have for 4 years, before that I played in a 18+ metal bat league for 5 years. I am 38 and manage not to spike myself every week. Only 2 minor injuries in 9 years, a smashed thumb on a hbp and water on the knee from trauma from diving for a ball.

This will sound dumb but looking forward to playing ball helps me get through the week.

When I first played they asked what number I wanted, I took 61 because I thought it sounded like a cut number for minor league spring training players, I wanted to set the bar low.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I am jealous. I played in a 30 and up league until I was well into my 40s. I am 58 now and would love to play...but no one really wants me anymore.

At least the muscle pulls and various pains are behind me.
    I could be mistaken but I thought you lived in the Indy area, there is a 45+ league that plays on Monday nights and from what I hear it is a bunch of guys just getting together playing ball having a good time. There is a guy who played in the 18+ league against us that was well into his late 50's and we could not get the guy out. Turns out he is in the Reading Phillies Hall of Fame and was still one of the fastest guys in the league even at his advanced age.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    You gotta be kiddin' me?
    There are a handfull of guys in our league that touch 90 mph, including a AAA ringer.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I could be mistaken but I thought you lived in the Indy area...
    No, I live in central Arkansas.

I have a heavy-duty pitchback in the backyard. I throw to it when it isn't too wet or too hot outside. I have discovered that the focus muscles in my eyes don't adjust quickly enough any more. At least, that is what I think is going on. I just can't pick up the ball coming right at me like I could even five years ago.

Growing up stinks.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    .500 OBP - Hall of Fame material!
    Like a boss!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    You gotta be kiddin' me?
    Nope. The kid was 22, pitched in high school, but for some reason didn't goto college. He was tall and slim but had a great arm. However, he was a little wild. He struck out the side the only inning he pitched. He's starting Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

This will sound dumb but looking forward to playing ball helps me get through the week.
    I can completely understand. It cost $300 to get into this league but it is so worth it. Makes me super happy and like you said - I have been looking forward to this all weeeeek. I am tried and sore but can not wait til Sunday! Going to be rough! This is much better than a gym membership.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post

Nope. The kid was 22, pitched in high school, but for some reason didn't goto college. He was tall and slim but had a great arm. However, he was a little wild. He struck out the side the only inning he pitched. He's starting Sunday.

Back in the box and try to look for something outside to dump into right field, that is my strategy against hard throwers.

God I wish I lived in Nashville.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I started out the day in Nashville, but am now back in WV. Did anyone die of heatstroke during the game? Walking around downtown yesterday, I saw medical people treating a woman passed out on the ground and getting another call in the process. I'd bet you guys worked up a sweat out there.

Turn Off Ads?