Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Reds vs. Indians at GABP -July 2, 2011 (The start of the playoff push!)

Re: Reds vs. Indians at GABP -July 2, 2011 (The start of the playoff push!)

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Three months into the season is it now safe to say those that predicted the Reds 2011 fall were correct?

Where is Hal King when you need him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

It seems like this team just can't hit well and pitch well at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It seems like this team just can't hit well and pitch well at the same time.
    Mark of a .500 baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Mark of a .500 baseball team.
    And that's what this team is, make no mistake about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'd absolutely love to know what the "our offense is just fine" crowd sees/thinks when they see a game like this.

Two games, three solo home runs. That's it.
    Will reference small sample sizes?

Meanwhile in, I believe, 7 of their last 9 games at home, they've scored 2 runs or less, and one of those games they scored 3, of course the other game they scored 10.

Offensively I think they simply lack a good approach throughout the line-up and are as streaky and inconsistent as you can be, extreme highs followed by extreme lows/droughts.

I'm not even worried about the pitching, it should continue to improve in the 2nd half. I have no idea how this team leads the NL in RS. They did last year as well, and I thought the post-season series with Philly was a microcosm of this season and the type of team they really are outside of this division.

They need more help/talent, and there's a lot of misplaced hope and cheek-turning from Reds' management regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Three months into the season is it now safe to say those that predicted the Reds 2011 fall were correct?
    If they were out of contention, yes.

3 games out of first with three months to go? Are you kidding?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Let me preface my comments here by mentioning that I was at last night's game and today's game and they were frustrating games. Today I ended up sitting by three Indians 'fans' who paid NO attention to the game at all through about 8.5 innings and then had the gall to stand up and cheer when the Indians won which made me ten times crankier than if the Reds had just lost today. Absolutely the stupidest and most annoying thing I have experienced at the ballpark this season. Bandwagon fans honk me off so bad that I can't even put it into words. I haven't really gotten over seeing so many Cleveland bandwagon fans the last two days either so I'm a little cranky tonight.

That said, is this a game thread? I came here to see what you guys thought about the Janish play in the 3rd inning (Indian dude was out from my vantage point) and instead of seeing game comments, all I saw was more of the same random crap that has permeated the rest of the board and made me not want to post here. Look, I know the team isn't doing well right now, I'm not stupid and I know something needs to kick start these guys, but when I can't even poke my head in a game thread to see what other folks (especially those at home who may have seen the replay) thought about a play during a game I was at without seeing all that same stuff again, that's ridiculous. Can't the game threads actually be about the games anymore?

One last thought....we went to the HOF today and saw the Johnny Bench exhibit (which is awesome BTW). Something stood out to me when we were watching the movie thing they made for him. The Big Red Machine did NOT win the World Series right off the bat when they were first coming together in the early 70's. They had some success, some failures, lots of young talent, and some disappointments along the way. It took them a few years to find all the right pieces to make it work and it showed in '75 and '76. They were competitive for most of that decade but they weren't world champions in their first few years together. Just because Walt hasn't done anything to this point DOESN'T mean he won't do anything and I really believe that if some sort of trade that will HELP THIS CLUB LONG TERM comes up during the month of July that the Reds brass will pull the trigger. I don't want to see a flash in the pan/one year wonder. I want a team that's in the hunt for a long amount of time and eventually, maybe we'll find our piece/s that pull it all together for a World Championship. I refuse to give up on my team and until the magic number doesn't exist for us anymore, we ARE in this race.

/end rant

*goes back to lurking*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Double post. Sorry!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

We were at yesterday's game, and the only thing hot was the weather.

Intently watching our hitters, all I can say is that these guys are pressing bad. They were up there first pitch swinging, hacking away, and showing very little patience at all. It was simply a pitiful display.

Thank God we're in a division where no one is playing like they want to win it (so far). We're playing poorly, yet still only 3 games out, so this division is winnable still.

But the wild card, IMO, won't be coming from the Central.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-03-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Let me preface my comments here by mentioning that I was at last night's game and today's game and they were frustrating games. Today I ended up sitting by three Indians 'fans' who paid NO attention to the game at all through about 8.5 innings and then had the gall to stand up and cheer when the Indians won which made me ten times crankier than if the Reds had just lost today. Absolutely the stupidest and most annoying thing I have experienced at the ballpark this season. Bandwagon fans honk me off so bad that I can't even put it into words. I haven't really gotten over seeing so many Cleveland bandwagon fans the last two days either so I'm a little cranky tonight.

That said, is this a game thread? I came here to see what you guys thought about the Janish play in the 3rd inning (Indian dude was out from my vantage point) and instead of seeing game comments, all I saw was more of the same random crap that has permeated the rest of the board and made me not want to post here. Look, I know the team isn't doing well right now, I'm not stupid and I know something needs to kick start these guys, but when I can't even poke my head in a game thread to see what other folks (especially those at home who may have seen the replay) thought about a play during a game I was at without seeing all that same stuff again, that's ridiculous. Can't the game threads actually be about the games anymore?

One last thought....we went to the HOF today and saw the Johnny Bench exhibit (which is awesome BTW). Something stood out to me when we were watching the movie thing they made for him. The Big Red Machine did NOT win the World Series right off the bat when they were first coming together in the early 70's. They had some success, some failures, lots of young talent, and some disappointments along the way. It took them a few years to find all the right pieces to make it work and it showed in '75 and '76. They were competitive for most of that decade but they weren't world champions in their first few years together. Just because Walt hasn't done anything to this point DOESN'T mean he won't do anything and I really believe that if some sort of trade that will HELP THIS CLUB LONG TERM comes up during the month of July that the Reds brass will pull the trigger. I don't want to see a flash in the pan/one year wonder. I want a team that's in the hunt for a long amount of time and eventually, maybe we'll find our piece/s that pull it all together for a World Championship. I refuse to give up on my team and until the magic number doesn't exist for us anymore, we ARE in this race.

/end rant

*goes back to lurking*

The 2010 team is no 1970 Reds....even if the 1970 Reds pygath showed them at 91-71 instead of the 102-60 that they were. Hence, they won a lot of close games.....and this team can barely function when they are tied late in the game or in EI.

The 1970's teams...up until 1977-78....did not have to worry too much about FA or arbitration......or starting the clock on arbitration.
    They could make trades based on a player for player worth/value to each teram.

Now trades are almost always.... vet for prospects. The Reds are hesitant to do this beacuse of how long it took them to even have a handful of prospects.

They also were in the Top 3 in attendance.

Some see this team as having a short window and think Joey is out the door in 2 more years. You want to waste one of those years...just happily middling around and hoping things click? Unless there is some Magic button in the clubhouse...that is going to make these guys start winning some of these games.... some of the frustration and sarcasm is going to seep into some of those game threads.

I read the quotes in this morning's enquirer on line...... from Bailey and Baker....and I wonder if they think we are morons.

Turn Off Ads?