Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Still "like what we've got" Walt?

Gary Redus Ruled

Still "like what we've got" Walt?

Trade for a leftfielder or call up Alonso or Sappelt NOW. Call up Cozart 10 days ago...wtf the season is slipping away. This team is going nowhere without immediate change....
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Still "like what we've got" Walt? If so F U!

Strict Gomes/Lewis platoon in LF based on SP, Heisey in CF, Bruce in RF, and let Stubbs get his head on straight. Call up Cozart, DFA Renteria, and save Janish for a 9th inning defensive substitution (if necessary, depending on Cozart's defensive abilities).

See how that goes for a couple of weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Strict Gomes/Lewis platoon in LF based on SP, Heisey in CF, Bruce in RF, and let Stubbs get his head on straight. Call up Cozart, DFA Renteria, and save Janish for a 9th inning defensive substitution (if necessary, depending on Cozart's defensive abilities).

See how that goes for a couple of weeks...

I want a strict platoon in center too- Stubbs can play against lefties, hes hitting .330 against them. Platoon Stubbs and Lewis. Platoon Gomes and some lefthanded hitter from Louisville. I don't care who. Let Heisey come off the bench. I'm tired of getting killed by righthanded pitching. See "Baker solves Poincaré Conjecture".

The starting pitching has been getting it done. But the Reds aren't getting runs when they need them. It is hard to tell if this is just bad luck, or if their is some lack of "never say die attitude." They are in a tough stretch of the schedule, and just to stay at .500 would be a success. The schedule gets WAY easier in early August.

If they want to mix it up, they could bring up Cozart at SS, and Alonso to play in LF. The production out of LF hasn't been that bad using Gomes/Lewis/Heisey. There is no guarantee that Alonso would be much better. There is little chance they would replace Rolen, even if Frazier or Francisco might be offensive improvements. Neither would be a defensive upgrade.

Honestly, other than bringing up Cozart, I don't see a lot of options. They just have to hope their young talent plays well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    Honestly, other than bringing up Cozart, I don't see a lot of options. They just have to hope their young talent plays well.
    I agree. I'd obviously love if the Reds could grab Reyes, but he's not worth it if you can't do a long term deal. LF is not the problem right now. In fact that's been the most productive position over the past month. The problem is CF and RF, where there are 2 young guys who are struggling but seen as future stars for the team, and 3b, where the Reds can't afford to pay another salary. Additionally, Votto and Phillips have both been underwhelming. Walt can't trade the whole team. Hopefully Cozart is with the team soon because I think he could help (and that might come with the added bonus of getting rid of Renteria), but guys like Stubbs, Bruce, and Votto really need to turn it on.

Re: Still "like what we've got" Walt?

last season is looking more and more like a fluke everyday that goes by. Somebody made a good point last night on 700 about alot of below average players on this team having career years last season. Again this all goes back to Walt and Castellini for doing nothing in the offseason and standing pat with these players.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    The starting pitching has been getting it done. But the Reds aren't getting runs when they need them. It is hard to tell if this is just bad luck, or if their is some lack of "never say die attitude." They are in a tough stretch of the schedule, and just to stay at .500 would be a success. The schedule gets WAY easier in early August.

If they want to mix it up, they could bring up Cozart at SS, and Alonso to play in LF. The production out of LF hasn't been that bad using Gomes/Lewis/Heisey. There is no guarantee that Alonso would be much better. There is little chance they would replace Rolen, even if Frazier or Francisco might be offensive improvements. Neither would be a defensive upgrade.

The Reds are second to last in the NL in starter ERA (4.57) this season. Only team that's worse is the lowly Cubs (4.57).
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

The Reds were 5th in NL in the month of June with 3.38,that's lately,and that's getting it done.I agree with everything Roush said.I think moderators should look at language used on this board lately.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 07-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.

This team needs some "new blood" or a spark in the worst way. Such a shame that our management seems to be fine with a .500 record and just "hanging in there" in the Central. I'm sort of hoping the Cards and Brewers both go on some winning streaks so Walt finally realizes we won't win the division with this roster.

It's one thing if you don't have the talent in your farm system, but come on management we have serious talent down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    Still "like what we've got" Walt?
    Yeah they have been playing well below what the team is capable of and they are only 3 games back.

If they can get the pitching and hitting clicking at the same time they will be leading the division in no time.

They play the Cards and Brewers very will and could easily be in 1st place by the break

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    They play the Cards and Brewers very will and could easily be in 1st place by the break
    Or essentially out of the race. It's a slippery slope...

They play with no heart this year. Only a couple of players even show emotion and Gomes is one of the only ones. I love Brandon but maybe he needs to keep his a$$ off twitter for a bit and keep his mind on his JOB. This team is much better than it has played and much better than The Cards, esp with AP hurt, yet they seem to win anyway. The reason they are winning is because they are playing every game like it is a playoff game. Next week will either get us going or put us away. The only way they gain ground next week is to start playing like they give a crap. Right now this team is very tough to watch and quite frankly very tough to even like. I have been a fan through thick and thin since 1970 but this bunch is really making me scratch my head. Maybe the players know they need help and also know they ain't gonna get it. It is pretty sad when your starters feel if they give up more than a run or two they have no shot at winning. 4th place is not where I thought we would be at this point in the year and if things don't change we may fall even farther. It is really something how adding maybe one to two players could be the diff in winning the division or finishing 4th or 5th but that is where we are. No changes = No playoffs plain and simple.

Turn Off Ads?