Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bakermetrics 101

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Bakermetrics 101

Ok, folks....we're a french bread crust piece past the halfway point in the season, and the boys are underachieving. 84 games in, we are all-square at 42-42. Predictably, the natives are restless, and most of the jeers and taunts are directed towards one Dusty Baker. I agree wholeheartedly that the Reds are underachieving. However, I will not (and never will) tolerate spears and arrows being aimed in the direction of the architect of the most successful and thought-provoking strategery of winning baseball ever developed - Bakermetrics.

Over the next few days, possibly spilling past the all-star break, Yours Truly and the venerable Texasdave are going to give you folks a wake up call - a hands-on seminar of how to manage and play winning baseball. Depending on the performance of the students, this class may take a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Assessments will be given and decisions as to the scope and depth of the course will be made on the fly, so to speak.

The class is called "Bakermetrics 101" because we are starting at the bare-bones beginning. How far will we go with it? We'll see, dude.

First question. A fundamental concept of BM (henceforth, for the sake of expediency, "Bakermetrics" may simply be referred to as "BM"): We're talking lineup construction.

You manage a baseball team. You need to construct a lineup for today's game against the Montgomery Manhandlers. Who bats first and why?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Bakermetrics 101

Pitchers slot. Get that out of the way early, and he won't be clogging the bases.

CF bats leadoff, dude. Bigtime.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

Who's most adept to batting leadoff for this team?

Honestly, it's a tough decision. Do I go with Stubbs? A man who strikes out on the pace of Adam Dunn. Chris Heisey? A man who doesn't hit well when he starts and strikes out at a Jay Bruce-like pace with a lower career OBP than Stubbs (albeit small sample)?

Who else do we have?

Big Poppa is 100% correct. CF bats leadoff, dude. Always and forever. Darren Lewis high-fives him and I place one toothpick in his quiver.

Next question, still on the subject of proper lineup construction.

In the given scenario, who bats second, dude?
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I would like to see a thread on "redszone metrics" to see how they would construct things before the fact, rather than after. It's easy to say something would work like "Start Chris Heisey in LF" only to have later threads like "Heisey is a better bench player." or my personal favorite "Janish's stats project out like this, and he plays AMAZING defense" to "Bring up Cozart Now!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Big Poppa is 100% correct. CF bats leadoff, dude. Always and forever. Darren Lewis high-fives him and I place one toothpick in his quiver.

Next question, still on the subject of proper lineup construction.

In the given scenario, who bats second, dude?
    Shortstop,of course.
    Hey this BM is pretty easy

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

BM scenario.2 on 1 out,bottom of 8th.Reds leading 3-1.Do you A.Leave in starterB.Go to bullpenC.Wait on starter to blow lead,then go to bullpen.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

BAKER12

I remember all the experts that were ticked that Cabrera was getting all the playing time over Janish last year. Same goes in 2009 when all the people were whining about Gomes not playing enough. Perhaps (shocking to some) Dusty and Walt have a better idea how to run a big league team than the message board experts.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    I remember all the experts that were ticked that Cabrera was getting all the playing time over Janish last year. Same goes in 2009 when all the people were whining about Gomes not playing enough. Perhaps (shocking to some) Dusty and Walt have a better idea how to run a big league team than the message board experts.
    Says Baker12
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    Says Baker12
    Come to think of it... I've never seen the two of them in the same place at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Shortstop,of course.
    I'd agree with SS...OR whoever is struggling at the plate and needs to "see some better pitches"

Does the leadoff spot really matter that much? Stubbs has been awful lately, but with the way they're hitting it doesn't matter if Lewis or Stubbs leads off. Either way Bphil and Votto have nothing to drive in.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This team sucks. There is no lineup that is going to get them out of 4th place. I wish the Cubs weren't so far out and they had a chance to pass the Reds in the standings. Then maybe we'd get some real change.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Shortstop,of course.
    Hey this BM is pretty easy
    Exactly right. SS bats 2nd, dude. A toothpick for you.

Now for some hypothetical situations. These are short-essay questions.

It's the bottom of the 7th and you manage the home team. Your starter has pitched well but appears to be a bit gassed. You own a 2-0 lead but the leadoff hitter for the other team doubled. No outs. You have both a dependable lefty and righty available in the 'pen. What moves, if any, do you make?

Turn Off Ads?