Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Your Fangraphs WAR NL All-Star Team

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Your Fangraphs WAR NL All-Star Team

I thought this would be fun. I selected players solely on the basis of their aggregate fWAR. When players were tied, I took the guy listed first on the leaderboard on the assumption that they led by decimals. I did take a player from every team, using the team's player who was closest to making it.

Code:

C  McCann	ATL	3.1	SP Halladay	PHI	4.8	
    1B Fielder	MIL	3.6	SP Hamels	PHI	3.8
    2B Weeks	MIL	3.3	SP Lee		PHI	3.6
    SS Reyes	NYM	5.3	SP Kershaw	LAD	3.6
    3B Roberts*	ARI	2.1	SP Hudson*	ARI	3.4
    OF McCutchen*	PIT	4.6	SP Lincecum	SFG	3.0
    OF Kemp		MIL	4.5	SP Bumgardner*	SFG	2.9
    OF Victorino*	PHI	4.2	SP Sanchez*	FLA	2.8

C  Montero*	ARI	2.3	RP Kimbrel*	ATL	1.9
    C  Iannetta*	COL	2.3	RP Venters	ATL	1.4
    1B Votto	CIN	3.6	RP Axford*	MIL	1.3
    2B Espinosa*	WAS	3.1	RP Marhsall*	CHI	1.2
    2B Phillips	CIN	2.8	
    SS Tulowitzki	COL	3.5	Next 5 (Fan "Vote")
    SS Drew*	RI	2.1	OF Young	ARI	2.7
    3B Headley*	SDP	2.0	OF Beltran	NYM	2.7
    OF Braun	MIL	4.0	OF Berkman	STL	2.6
    OF Bourn*	HOU	3.4	1B Sanchez	FLA	2.5
    OF Upton	ARI	3.3	1B Helton	COL	2.5
    OF Holliday	STL	3.2
    The guys who were snubbed by requiring all teams be represented were Pablo Sandoval (by decimals) and Jordan Zimmerman (by 0.3). I starred guys who were not selected. Interesting to see 3 guys leading their positions who didn't even make it as a reserve -- though I'd be Victorino wins the fan vote. I can't believe McCutchen wasn't even on the fan voting list. The guy is a good defensive CF hitting .289/.390/.493 with 12 HR and 15 SB. If he were a Yankee he'd be getting MVP talk.

Personally, I'd like to see the game full of "stars", guys who have established themselves as the best in the game, but this was interesting none-the-less. I think the NL's reserve squad might be better than it's starters...
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Your Fangraphs WAR NL All-Star Team

Fascinating stuff RMR and I agree that the NL reserve team is quite strong. Sandoval was also on the DL for a while which may have hurt his AS chances too (didn't he just come back within the last few weeks?). Thanks for sharing that info. Nice work!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Nice work, Rick. High Five!

Isn't Kershaw LAD though? I saw him pitch last night (vs. Jered Weaver no less.) That would be one helluva Phillies rotation though...not that it isn't already.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Nice work, Rick. High Five!

Isn't Kershaw LAD though? I saw him pitch last night (vs. Jered Weaver no less.) That would be one helluva Phillies rotation though...not that it isn't already.
    Kershaw is definitely a Dodger (the Reds beat him in LA during our west coast trip) although I can see how he got PHI happy with those three guys all listed back to back to back, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Oops. Force of habit apparently...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow I only just realized that McCutchen did not make the reserves or even the fan vote! That certainly is high on the snub list.

I'm not sure what stats WAR is comprised of but offensively I can't see how McCutchen can beat out Braun. I guess defensive numbers must be included.
    Here is the 2 deep NL OPS All-Star team

1b Fielder .998
    2b Weeks .819
    ss Reyes .927
    3b Ramirez .822
    OF Kemp 1.021
    OF Berkman 1.014
    OF Braun .961
    C McCann . 909

reserves
    1b Votto .938
    2b Espinosa . 794
    ss Tulo .834
    3b Headley . 799
    OF Victorino . 900
    OF McCutchen . 890
    OF Upton .881
    C Montero .817

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    I'm not sure what stats WAR is comprised of but offensively I can't see how McCutchen can beat out Braun.
    If the goal is to select the players who have produced the most so far this year, defense matters too. The way the All-Star selections are made, all OFs are grouped together. If we broke out the positions separately, LF would have been Braun going away, with McCutchen in CF and Upton in RF.

I realize though that most voters, fans and players alike, don't consider defense.

Kemp would be in centerfield over McCutchen as the starter
    and it's not really even close

Kemp would be in centerfield over McCutchen as the starter and it's not really even close
    You make a very compelling argument.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wow I only just realized that McCutchen did not make the reserves or even the fan vote! That certainly is high on the snub list.
    As far as I'm concerned, anything that causes even a momentary bit of misery to Andrew McCutchen gets high marks from me.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Kemp would be in centerfield over McCutchen as the starter
    and it's not really even close
    Kemp's glove in CF really hurts him; he'd be a better corner guy. He's one of the worst defending CF regulars over the past two seasons.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?