Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Catching Hell

Catching Hell

Has anyone watched this movie? Just saw this on my cable service's On Demand and was wondering if it was worth it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=6390738

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Catching Hell

From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about Eddie Taubensee, Jason Larue, Javier Valentin, Paul Bako and David Ross.

On second thought, that would probably be titled "Looking Back at the Backstop Hell." Not a whole lot of actual catching was going on when those guys were here.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I would take Jason LaRue off that list.

Rem

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I would take off Dave Ross, too. His only weakness was catching balls thrown from the outfield imho.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I would take off Dave Ross, too. His only weakness was catching balls thrown from the outfield imho.
    Yep. Good stick and very good arm.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Back to the movie. I watched the preview and saw that it was an ESPN film. I generally haven't liked those much, but the preview looked a little interesting. I'd probably watch it if it was free, but at least on our system here its pretty pricey at $6.99. I'll pass.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I watched it last night, it's really good. There's too much Red Sox stuff in it, other than that I really enjoyed it.

At one point they interview Moises Alou and he says that he and Aramis Ramirz booked flights home after game 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

What I don't understand is why they singled out Bartman. Every other Cub fan around him did the same thing, go for the ball, and they all affected the play, IMO.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Is this a documentary?
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    Is this a documentary?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Back to the movie. I watched the preview and saw that it was an ESPN film. I generally haven't liked those much, but the preview looked a little interesting. I'd probably watch it if it was free, but at least on our system here its pretty pricey at $6.99. I'll pass.
    If you can wait until September 27th you can save yourself $6.99. It will be on ESPN at that time according to this WIKI article on the 30 for 30 series. It's near the bottom of the article.
    IMO the Cubs organization showed what butts they were in handling this. They could have easily forgave Bartman for what he did. They could have had him back the next season and threw out the first pitch in some middle of the season game and hosted him in the owners box. Something like that anyway. He only did what ever other fan would have done. It really wasn't a clear cut catch either for Alou. If it was that clear cut then the umpire should be blamed as much or more than Bartman for not caling interference. I just it really sad what happened with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's kind of like saying that Edison Volquez is a great pitcher except for the walks.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you can wait until September 27th you can save yourself $6.99. It will be on ESPN at that time according to this WIKI article on the 30 for 30 series. It's near the bottom of the article.

IMO the Cubs organization showed what butts they were in handling this. They could have easily forgave Bartman for what he did. They could have had him back the next season and threw out the first pitch in some middle of the season game and hosted him in the owners box. Something like that anyway. He only did what ever other fan would have done. It really wasn't a clear cut catch either for Alou. If it was that clear cut then the umpire should be blamed as much or more than Bartman for not caling interference. I just it really sad what happened with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30
    I heard a lot of good things about this documentary. To their credit the Cubs people got Bartman out of the stands but the security people weren't exactly zealous in protecting him once they got underneath the stands. I think Bartman was a scapegoat. If you check the video, he's not the only one with his hands outstretched trying to get the ball. If it wasn't him it would have been someone else. As for what the Cubs didn't do for him afterwards, I think it's easy to say what they should or should not have done when you are a fan of an opposing team - especially when you are a direct rival of that other team. What do you think would happen if the situation was reversed and Bartman lived in Mt. Auburn, was a Reds fan and was involved in a play that arguably cost the Reds a shot at the World Series? If you as a fan were angry at the person you feel cost the Reds the World Series, how would you feel if the Reds embraced him?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's kind of like saying that Edison Volquez is a great pitcher except for the walks.

I heard a lot of good things about this documentary. To their credit the Cubs people got Bartman out of the stands but the security people weren't exactly zealous in protecting him once they got underneath the stands. I think Bartman was a scapegoat. If you check the video, he's not the only one with his hands outstretched trying to get the ball. If it wasn't him it would have been someone else. As for what the Cubs didn't do for him afterwards, I think it's easy to say what they should or should not have done when you are a fan of an opposing team - especially when you are a direct rival of that other team. What do you think would happen if the situation was reversed and Bartman lived in Mt. Auburn, was a Reds fan and was involved in a play that arguably cost the Reds a shot at the World Series? If you as a fan were angry at the person you feel cost the Reds the World Series, how would you feel if the Reds embraced him?
    I would hope, for myself personally, that after the initial anger I would realize that person could have been me and that was the instinct of any fan that sets in the stands. Yes there were others going after that ball and Bartman was the convienant scapegoat. I just think the Cubs organization could have reached out to him more and basically forgiven him for this "terrible" sin. But I guess when you have been a loser for 100 years you can't expect much decency from them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's like saying Johnny Cueto is a bad pitcher except for the guys he gets out.

Turn Off Ads?