Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sulbaran question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,896

    Sulbaran question

    JCS's numbers look better this year and his K/IP looks good (though his K/BB ratio could be better). I don't know that much about the Bakersfield park, but have seen where it favors the hitters. Do you think that Sulbaran's numbers are skewed much by pitching there? It would be nice to think he might be making a big step forward this year and may be ready to step up in AA next year.

    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=543833

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,792

    Re: Sulbaran question

    If the park was affecting him, that would only show up in his hr rate, and that hasn't really been a problem so far. Consistency seems to be the thing holding Sulbaran back. Go check out his starts and you'll find a handful of absolutely dominating outings surrounded by others where he shows spotty control and doesn't miss as many bats.

    When I saw him in Dayton a few years ago, he wasn't throwing much over 91-92, but was really relying on a big breaking curveball. Maybe it's a Donnie Joseph situation where he's somewhat hittable if batters can lay of his breaking stuff?

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,312

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If the park was affecting him, that would only show up in his hr rate, and that hasn't really been a problem so far. Consistency seems to be the thing holding Sulbaran back. Go check out his starts and you'll find a handful of absolutely dominating outings surrounded by others where he shows spotty control and doesn't miss as many bats.

    When I saw him in Dayton a few years ago, he wasn't throwing much over 91-92, but was really relying on a big breaking curveball. Maybe it's a Donnie Joseph situation where he's somewhat hittable if batters can lay of his breaking stuff?
    It would go further than just the HR's. The air is considerably thinner in a lot of the parks than most of the minor leagues.

  5. #4
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,792

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It would go further than just the HR's. The air is considerably thinner in a lot of the parks than most of the minor leagues.
    Are you talking about the bite on breaking balls?

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,312

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Are you talking about the bite on breaking balls?
    Among other things. The thin air lets the ball travel a little further than it otherwise would. It leads to a few extra hits finding the grass both inside and outside of the park.

  7. #6
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,792

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Among other things. The thin air lets the ball travel a little further than it otherwise would. It leads to a few extra hits finding the grass both inside and outside of the park.
    Whatever impact that may have would also be countered by the fact that the centerfielder has fifty less feet to cover behind him. I'd say it's pretty much a wash as far as balls in play go, especially with a sample size like Sulbaran's.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,312

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Whatever impact that may have would also be countered by the fact that the centerfielder has fifty less feet to cover behind him. I'd say it's pretty much a wash as far as balls in play go, especially with a sample size like Sulbaran's.
    That only comes into play in home games and there are still 8 other positions on the field that have to field balls other than center.

  9. #8
    Member RedLegsToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    596

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Isn't the whole California League a hitter's paradise. Most of the teams play at altitude. I'd be pretty happy with Sulbaran if he maintains his k/bb ratio and is able to play a whole season. That would be a nice step forward.

  10. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,312

    Re: Sulbaran question

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Isn't the whole California League a hitter's paradise. Most of the teams play at altitude. I'd be pretty happy with Sulbaran if he maintains his k/bb ratio and is able to play a whole season. That would be a nice step forward.
    Yep. There is one park in the league that isn't a very favorable hitters park.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25