Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 MLB All-Star game - Jay Bruce over Andrew McCutchen?

2011 MLB All-Star game - Jay Bruce over Andrew McCutchen?

Joe Posnanski doesn't think much of Jay Bruce's defense in right field. He says this:

But then the players voted and ... huh? Excuse me? They voted for Jay Bruce, Matt Holliday and Hunter Pence.

Baseball Reference has Jay Bruce with an 0.2 WAR (Fangraphs is kinder and gives him a 1.4 WAR). This means that they calculate he is roughly two-tenths of a win better than a replacement level player. They rank him so low because they estimate that he has been a dreadful right-fielder in 2011 (after being an excellent fielder in 2010). I don't know if that's right. Look, Bruce is a fine player. But McCutchen is better. He's been better over the last two seasons. And he's a lot better this year. McCutchen's on-base percentage is 60 points higher, he has a higher slugging percentage even though Bruce plays half his games in the Great American Bandbox, he's much faster, he plays a most important defensive position and he plays it better. I tweeted that with the players choosing Bruce over McCutchen might give us a hint about the quality of the next generation's color commentators.
    Check it out here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 MLB All-Star game - Jay Bruce over Andrew McCutchen?

Yeah I don't think Bruce is more deserving than McCutchen. As a Reds fan I'm excited he made the team, but taking off my homer glasses McCutchen should definitely be there.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're talking about snubs how do you get by Sabathia? I HATE the Yankees and yes I know he couldn't play anyway since he is due to pitch but the guy is a legit Cy Young candidate this year, again.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're talking about snubs how do you get by Sabathia? I HATE the Yankees and yes I know he couldn't play anyway since he is due to pitch but the guy is a legit Cy Young candidate this year, again.
    Maybe MLB couldn't dish out enough hotdogs for Tubby Sabathia!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think Bruce read this today!

Putting on a clinic in RF.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Joe Nobody has no clue....absolutely no clue....

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Except for the fact that Jay is the worst hitter in this lineup right now in a lineup full of struggling hitters.

The players voted during Bruce's epic 2 two week hot streak

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

He actually may be the best baseball writer going today, but on this topic, he's off-base.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

What the baseball writers need to be talking about is the homerism that is Bruce Bochy selecting FOUR of his pitchers from the Giants pitching staff. Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Vogelsong and Brian Wilson.

Cain and Wilson are very deserving in my honest opinion, but I'm not so sure of Vogelsong and Lincecum. Vogelsong's numbers are good (6-1, 2.13 ERA), however he's started only 13 games this year. Lincecum has a LOSING record at 6-7, but a respectable 3.14 ERA. Little Timmy gets in b/c of name recognition and/or because his skipper IS the selection committee. Sheez.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Joe Nobody? You must not get SI. He does most of their baseball stuff now. Plus, he gets the back page column every other issue. One of the best sportswriters going nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Joe Nobody? You must not get SI. He does most of their baseball stuff now. Plus, he gets the back page column every other issue. One of the best sportswriters going nowadays.
    After the ridiculous article about tOSU SI has lost all credibility with me.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    After the ridiculous article about tOSU SI has lost all credibility with me.
    lol.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Yeah I don't think Bruce is more deserving than McCutchen. As a Reds fan I'm excited he made the team, but taking off my homer glasses McCutchen should definitely be there.
    Not saying McCutchen isnt, butBruce was a player of the month this season, that *has* to count for something for an all star game. IMO, the All Star game recognizes who is having an all star year so far as well as past (should be recent) history/reputation.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    lol.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
    I doubt you know anything about what is true and what isn't regarding Ohio State.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Turn Off Ads?