Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rolen

BAKER12

Rolen

Not to be Mr. Negative, but he seems to be the only guy really producing a lot worse than from last year. What is the answer? Walt is totally tied to him and I understand the loyalty. Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy. Could we be approaching that with Rolen?
    C: A little better
    1B: Less power, less pitches to hit
    2B: Same
    SS: A little less, but not glaring
    LF: About the same
    CF: About the same
    RF: A little better
    EB: Absolutely worse
    Starters: Close to the same
    Bullpen: Slightly better
    Bench: A little better
    Same Management team front office and in dugout, same owner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen

Pretty much agree but I would break down our relief and say that our Middle relief has been worse while Cordero has been way better.

BAKER12

It's funny, if someone would have told me Cordero would have been lights out, I would have said we would be on fire. Instead I fear we may have a fire sale. This road trip scares me a lot. Simply put, we do not have the offense to compete with the big boys. No legit leadoff hitter, very weak 3B, SS spots and spotty at best hitting in two of the outfield spots. Prediction for post all star break, Heisey will play everyday and we will see Stubbs sent down and a new shortstop, even if it is change for the sake of change.

Rolen started his downfall after the all star break last season

He is a lot better when he gets time off, but his range is what is really lacking this season. He made a great attempt today but most of the time balls are getting by him that he always use to get to

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The raw numbers don't tell the story of this team. It's *when* the hits/production is coming that has made the difference. Stacking up hits and RBIs in a 9-2 victory isn't the same as getting the big hit to win 1-0 or 4-3. They just haven't gotten them when they "counted" this season to date.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

BAKER12

I agree with all these points. Rolen may be entering a platoon phase of his career, but for what he is making, that is not a legit idea. And frankly, good point Kraw, Rolen looks great when he gets two weeks off and plays four of seven days, etc. It sucks, because he is a great team guy and a guy who plays the game the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy.
    What's the basis for this statement? What has occurred to make anyone think that Price is better than Pole?

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    Not to be Mr. Negative, but he seems to be the only guy really producing a lot worse than from last year. What is the answer? Walt is totally tied to him and I understand the loyalty. Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy. Could we be approaching that with Rolen?
    C: A little better
    1B: Less power, less pitches to hit
    2B: Same
    SS: A little less, but not glaring
    LF: About the same
    CF: About the same
    RF: A little better
    EB: Absolutely worse
    Starters: Close to the same
    Bullpen: Slightly better
    Bench: A little better
    Same Management team front office and in dugout, same owner
    Did our ss have 15 errors and only one homer at the break last year?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    The raw numbers don't tell the story of this team. It's *when* the hits/production is coming that has made the difference. Stacking up hits and RBIs in a 9-2 victory isn't the same as getting the big hit to win 1-0 or 4-3. They just haven't gotten them when they "counted" this season to date.
    Agreed. Stats can give you an idea of how a team is performing or will perform, but they also can give you the wrong idea. If you watch this team everyday you will notice that the biggest weakness is the lack of a consistent run producing threat behind Votto. If you look at the statistics the numbers suggest that the offense is fine. Clearly the offense is not "fine."

Turn Off Ads?