Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Dusty win a game for us?

Can Dusty win a game for us?

I hate to bust on Dusty yet again.. But yesterday we were talking about how many games Dusty has won for us this year, I cant think of any.

Well, last night, a good manager gives us a shot.

Example...

7th inning, Ramon on second, Stubbs on first, one out and Edgar up.

Why are we not pinch running for Ramon. Why not run with Heisey, or even Leake for that matter if you are worried about an extra inning battle.

If we did that, Leake could have been able to score easily if the ball went over Jay's head, so he would not have had to go half way. He could have tagged and went on to third, and scored on a bad throw from the cut off guy, an impending balk, a wild pitch, or a cue shot by Cueto down the line like the Cards ended up winning on.

Not to mention, if Leake is in, the Cards know he can score on a single, so they may bring Jay in one to two steps to give him a shot at the plate, in that case, Edgar's shot goes to the wall and we score two.

He could have won that game for us, he didnt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Dusty win a game for us?

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    I hate to bust on Dusty yet again.. But yesterday we were talking about how many games Dusty has won for us this year, I cant think of any.

Well, last night, a good manager gives us a shot.

Example...

7th inning, Ramon on second, Stubbs on first, one out and Edgar up.

Why are we not pinch running for Ramon. Why not run with Heisey, or even Leake for that matter if you are worried about an extra inning battle.

If we did that, Leake could have been able to score easily if the ball went over Jay's head, so he would not have had to go half way. He could have tagged and went on to third, and scored on a bad throw from the cut off guy, an impending balk, a wild pitch, or a cue shot by Cueto down the line like the Cards ended up winning on.

Not to mention, if Leake is in, the Cards know he can score on a single, so they may bring Jay in one to two steps to give him a shot at the plate, in that case, Edgar's shot goes to the wall and we score two.

He could have won that game for us, he didnt.
    We are finding out this year just how "good" our manager is...and well I think we are seeing the true Dusty.

It doesn't matter, as long as everyone on the team is happy Dusty has done his job.

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    We are finding out this year just how "good" our manager is...and well I think we are seeing the true Dusty.

So last year does not count
    The Reds win despite him and all the losses are his fault
    Excellent and unbiased thinking

So Baker, care to explain last nights circumstance that I described above?

Yes, the line you just utterred in jest, is factual more often than not.

This team wins in spite of having a dumb ass for a manager, and when we lose, it often is his fault.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    This team wins in spite of having a dumb ass for a manager, and when we lose, it often is his fault.
    As venerated as Sparky is, a lot of Reds fans thought the same way about him at the time. The truth is, no one is ever going to be 100% happy with a manager.

Dusty runs a game, and a lineup based on individual matchups. He supposedly manages everything like this, which means he analyzes everything. At least that is his excuse for not playing guys after hot streaks.

So, I am going to over analyze his every move, or lack there of.

Last nights move was a common sense baseball move, he didnt do it, as usual.

The man is just not good at his job. He wins games because he has SOME good players, and he has managed a crap ton of games.

Generally you don't sub for the catcher because then if the backup gets hurt you're completely out of luck. This is obviously not a hard and fast rule, but I don't think last night's situation warranted the sub. Hernandez should have been on 3rd regardless of how slow he is. That was just poor baserunning. The manager can't be blamed when the players don't take the extra base or just don't hit with runners in scoring position.

Dusty is fine as long as he is not asked to actually in game manage. He is a players manager, not a good tactican of the game.

Turn Off Ads?