Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 62.00%
  • No

19 38.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

I believe that he should definitly be considered for the Hall after he retires.
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

I think he certainly is in the mix. Defensively he is one of the greatest ever to play. His offensive numbers aren't too shabby, either. A quick perusal of HOF 3B shows that he stacks up quite favorably.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofst3b.shtml

I was having this discussion with a buddy the other day, then it got me thinking, if he was a hall of famer...what team would he go in as?

He won a ring with the Cards and had some good years there, but I do not think he has an ounce of respect for TLR, and I know he had a pretty bad ending with STL? IIRC he didn't have the best of exits from Philly either. Not sure which of those two hats he would wear.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think so, but then again, I'm a "big hall" guy.

On Fangraphs Career WAR leaderboard, he's pretty much right at that cutoff point where the guys above him are in and the ones below him are not.

As far as I'm concerned, he's got a very similar case to Larkin. One of the best defenders in the league throughout his career. Above average with the bat, if not always elite. Played a long time, but missed a lot of games due to injury.

Here's some guys for comparison. Again, I like him in the hall, but I could certainly understand thinking he doesn't make the cut. If you're not going to put Santo in, then how can you justify Rolen?

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Rolen is a borderline HOFer. His offensive numbers are good but not good enough to get him in. Really the only stellar number is his 300+ homers. His defense was elite. He won a lot of Gold Gloves -- and those Gold Gloves were legitimately earned unlike those won by the likes of Derek Jeter. Rolen's case is boosted because he was a clean player in a PEDs-tainted era. I think if Rolen can play another couple healthy and productive seasons then he will get in.

I am a huge Scott Rolen fan but I think he comes up short for the HOF. If you compare his numbers to Matt Williams you will see they are very simlilar. Unfortunately for Rolen, Williams got very little support for the HOF. I think his vote percentage was never above 15%. So if Williams had such weak support and Williams and Rolen are very comparable, I don't anticipate Rolen getting over the hump of 75%
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think so, but then again, I'm a "big hall" guy.

On Fangraphs Career WAR leaderboard, he's pretty much right at that cutoff point where the guys above him are in and the ones below him are not.

As far as I'm concerned, he's got a very similar case to Larkin. One of the best defenders in the league throughout his career. Above average with the bat, if not always elite. Played a long time, but missed a lot of games due to injury.

Here's some guys for comparison. Again, I like him in the hall, but I could certainly understand thinking he doesn't make the cut. If you're not going to put Santo in, then how can you justify Rolen?

He's also not finished playing yet though, right? Santo is at 79.3 WAR, Rolen is currently at 73.9 with a season and a half on his current contract. It's not unrealistic at all for Rolen to reach Santo by the end of next year. This assumes as well that he retires at the end of next year. I realize you're saying that even if his numbers are similar to Santo's, Rolen shouldn't be in because Santo isn't in.

I'm just saying, Rolen isn't finished with his career yet and we don't know when he'll be done definitively, even if all signs point to him retiring after next season.

Right now I think Rolen is a borderline HOF'er. Not very many third basemen in the HOF so that might help his case ya never know.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yes.

I'd vote for him, once you factor in defense. His offensive numbers don't stack up to his era peer, Chipper Jones, but he was vastly superior defensively. Really one of the all time greats with the glove at 3rd. With that, I'd put him in.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Hall of Famer... ..... .... Yes...

Will he have to wait ..... Yes...

Will the Hall of fame ballot matter the year he is voted in...... YES!!!

I'm suprised to see Brooks Robinson doing so well on that chart. From all I've heard in stories, he is an "underserving" HOF guy. So much for that premise.

No.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am a huge Scott Rolen fan but I think he comes up short for the HOF. If you compare his numbers to Matt Williams you will see they are very simlilar. Unfortunately for Rolen, Williams got very little support for the HOF. I think his vote percentage was never above 15%. So if Williams had such weak support and Williams and Rolen are very comparable, I don't anticipate Rolen getting over the hump of 75%
    My memory evades me, but was Williams anywhere close to Rolen with the glove? Defense is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    My memory evades me, but was Williams anywhere close to Rolen with the glove? Defense is huge.
    I am not a new age stats guy but Williams did win 4 GG's.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?