Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandal Taken for Granted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grandal Taken for Granted

Seemingly since the day he was drafted. He wasn't the pick that many wanted, mainly because he wasn't likely to be available. There is a lot to like about Mesoraco, who's "comeback" has been fun to watch, but no one is a guarantee, so why discount what Grandal is doing?

A+ .296 /.410 /.510 /.920
    AA .333 / .351 /.583 /.935

11 HR, 20 2b, 42bb/64k's, 22 years old. Likely stopping into AAA next year. Boom, at the ready, here's your top 5 talent. With all the talk of trading prospects, he's come up a bit, the throne belongs to Mez for now, but why? I mean the numbers are all here for Grandal. Let's not get too spoiled and ignore Grandal's chances at taking over at Catcher. Perhaps others can speak to it, but he could also be 1b or 3b if Mez does work out. With Votto and Rolen out of the long term picture, I see Grandal as a very important piece to our system and not really all that expendable.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Re: Grandal Taken for Granted

I've been saying this since he was drafted and I didn't feel like too many agreed at the time. I feel like many at RZ vastly underrated him during the prospect rating exercise before the season started. The guy is a good baseball player. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back here but rather pointed out that many either dismissed or vastly underrated Grandal far too early.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-06-2011 at 04:03 AM.

How are people undervaluing him? It is not as if he is being dismissed but what Mes has been doing has just been so very good plus he is closer to being ready.

AAA .308/ .385/ .527/ .912

9 HR, 30 2b, 32bb/52k at 23 years old

Sure his is not getting salivated over, but he is reason number one to pay attention to Carolina and for many on the board I would assume it is the same.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Yeah, I don't think anyone is overlooking Grandal. Don't forget, Mes is only 6 months older than him, and crushing AAA (he's averaging a double about every 9 ab's, that's incredibly impressive).

Grandal has only played about 15 games above A ball. If he continues to rake the rest of this season in AA, then he's definitely someone to be excited about next year. There's a good chance Mes and Grandal will be listed as the Reds top 2 prospects going into next season. That's a nice problem for a team to have.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Seemingly since the day he was drafted. He wasn't the pick that many wanted, mainly because he wasn't likely to be available. There is a lot to like about Mesoraco, who's "comeback" has been fun to watch, but no one is a guarantee, so why discount what Grandal is doing?

A+ .296 /.410 /.510 /.920
    AA .333 / .351 /.583 /.935

11 HR, 20 2b, 42bb/64k's, 22 years old. Likely stopping into AAA next year. Boom, at the ready, here's your top 5 talent. With all the talk of trading prospects, he's come up a bit, the throne belongs to Mez for now, but why? I mean the numbers are all here for Grandal. Let's not get too spoiled and ignore Grandal's chances at taking over at Catcher. Perhaps others can speak to it, but he could also be 1b or 3b if Mez does work out. With Votto and Rolen out of the long term picture, I see Grandal as a very important piece to our system and not really all that expendable.

I agree that he is taken for granted by most Reds observers because of the presence of Mesoraco. He is a very good prospect, and most likely one of the 10 best (maybe even top 5) catching prospects in all of baseball.

However I disagree that he is "not really all that expendable." Grandal and Alonso are the very definition of expendable, meaning that they could and should be traded in the right deal for a more pressing need. Their value lies at one position, and that position is unlikely to be available in the forseeable future. Now if Grandal could be an above average 3B, I might think differently, but I really see his value being behind the plate, much like Alonso's is at 1B.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I agree that he is taken for granted by most Reds observers because of the presence of Mesoraco. He is a very good prospect, and most likely one of the 10 best (maybe even top 5) catching prospects in all of baseball.

However I disagree that he is "not really all that expendable." Grandal and Alonso are the very definition of expendable, meaning that they could and should be traded in the right deal for a more pressing need. Their value lies at one position, and that position is unlikely to be available in the forseeable future. Now if Grandal could be an above average 3B, I might think differently, but I really see his value being behind the plate, much like Alonso's is at 1B.
    Maybe it's just me, but I think often times Catchers can readily move to 1b. To that end, I see Grandal as a potential solution to 1b if Votto is gone. He's also insurance if Mez doesn't work out. I don't consider him blocked yet for that reason. 3b would be a real boon for the organization. I'd love to see that as well. One thing I think can be counted on is the Reds will want/need defense at C, so that will go a long way in determining who's at C, 1b, 3b, or even with the Reds.

Grandal needs to learn how to play 3B.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I have included he with Mes every time a post has come u suggestinf they be included in a deal. They aren't untouchable, but shouldn't be dealt unless there is MAJOR talent in return that is under club control for more than this season. Both are very valuable commodities at a premium position.

If we were to do a midseason Top 40 Reds prospect list right now, they might well be 1 and 1A for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Grandal needs to learn how to play 3B.
    Or Alonso. Someone other than Cisco since I have no interest in bringing him up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't think anyone is taking Grandal for granted, but there are two things that should be noted.... he has a handful of at bats outside of the California League (which is almost the equivalent of playing in Coors) so his numbers, while good, should be tempered a little bit because of the league he was playing in and the fact that Mesoraco is just nearly unanimously viewed as the better of the two.

I maintain Grandal is taken for granted, just as Alonso has been since Votto emerged. In these circumstances the lack of need takes the luster off. Perhaps it's a better way to perceive a player when you don't need them. The fervor isn't there and you're not projecting too high of a ceiling. Look at the Juan Francisco and Todd Frazier effects. When Rolen slumps or gets injured they start getting sized up a little more eagerly. Maybe it just brings their fans out of the woodwork. It's impossible to keep track of who has stated this about that player, so this isn't meant to single anyone out. I just think the general sheen of a player like Grandal would have been much brighter in 2008, for example. All that optimism during that time has really been rewarded by the likes of Cueto, Votto, and Bruce. So, it makes me wonder, are we selling Grandal short just because Mez is doing so well? I'd have to say yes. He's off to a great start. Perhaps the power isn't there like Mez, but he's still at an Alonso type level.

I maintain Grandal is taken for granted, just as Alonso has been since Votto emerged. In these circumstances the lack of need takes the luster off. Perhaps it's a better way to perceive a player when you don't need them. The fervor isn't there and you're not projecting too high of a ceiling. Look at the Juan Francisco and Todd Frazier effects. When Rolen slumps or gets injured they start getting sized up a little more eagerly. Maybe it just brings their fans out of the woodwork. It's impossible to keep track of who has stated this about that player, so this isn't meant to single anyone out. I just think the general sheen of a player like Grandal would have been much brighter in 2008, for example. All that optimism during that time has really been rewarded by the likes of Cueto, Votto, and Bruce. So, it makes me wonder, are we selling Grandal short just because Mez is doing so well? I'd have to say yes. He's off to a great start. Perhaps the power isn't there like Mez, but he's still at an Alonso type level.
    I guess the question is.... why does it matter if the fans don't estimate his value correctly? The Reds do and the scouts do. I think that right now Grandal is a Top 50 prospect in baseball or really close to it. Top 75 without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess the question is.... why does it matter if the fans don't estimate his value correctly? The Reds do and the scouts do. I think that right now Grandal is a Top 50 prospect in baseball or really close to it. Top 75 without a doubt.
    Fair enough. I mean, the fans opinion almost never matters to the brass tacks stuff. But us fans will still cluck if that's alright, right? To your point on rankings, why was he left off BA's top 100? Too many Reds or something?

Fair enough. I mean, the fans opinion almost never matters to the brass tacks stuff. But us fans will still cluck if that's alright, right? To your point on rankings, why was he left off BA's top 100? Too many Reds or something?
    He hadn't played yet when it came out? He was inside some guys Top 100's from BA, just not the overall one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He hadn't played yet when it came out? He was inside some guys Top 100's from BA, just not the overall one.
    I guess its a similar instance where subjective analysis left him unnoticed.

Turn Off Ads?