Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandal Taken for Granted

Re: Grandal Taken for Granted

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    With all the talk of trading prospects, he's come up a bit, the throne belongs to Mez for now, but why? I mean the numbers are all here for Grandal. Let's not get too spoiled and ignore Grandal's chances at taking over at Catcher. Perhaps others can speak to it, but he could also be 1b or 3b if Mez does work out. With Votto and Rolen out of the long term picture, I see Grandal as a very important piece to our system and not really all that expendable.
    Mes is knocking on the door to the big leagues and has always projected as the better player. No one's knocking Grandal, but placing him on the same level as Mesoraco is just inaccurate. And for that reason, he's probably the most expendable player in the system. Not saying you give him away for nothing, but splitting time with Mesoraco or playing him at 1B is just a huge waste of value. He's a must trade in my book.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I disagree with the premise of this thread. I'm sure there are a bunch of Reds fans like me who are following Grandal's minor league progress very closely. I started the thread when he was promoted from Bakersfield to Carolina. Prior to that, there were several posters clamoring for him to be promoted because of how well he was playing. We were talking about it all the time in the minor league game threads.

Maybe you just weren't paying close enough of attention ... but no one is taking Grandal for granted. There's been plenty of talk about him on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I disagree with the premise of this thread. I'm sure there are a bunch of Reds fans like me who are following Grandal's minor league progress very closely. I started the thread when he was promoted from Bakersfield to Carolina. Prior to that, there were several posters clamoring for him to be promoted because of how well he was playing. We were talking about it all the time in the minor league game threads.

Maybe you just weren't paying close enough of attention ... but no one is taking Grandal for granted. There's been plenty of talk about him on this board.
    There is talk. I mean, he's no Billy Hamilton, but he gets mention when he performs. I think too often I'm seeing the talk surrounding Grandal is absent of future plans within the organization. He's either getting traded or??

He's the picture of consistency. He's not disappointed observers at all. Perhaps the norm around here is that the 1st rounder should just breeze right up to the majors. Well, that's what he appears to be doing so far, just without much desire or need for it among fans. My thinking is we've got to find a way to work this guy into the future if he keeps this up.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    My thinking is we've got to find a way to work this guy into the future if he keeps this up.
    Are we going to move him off catcher? The guy has a chance to be a pretty elite player behind the dish, but probably isn't all that special at first or third. Let scouts drool over him for the next year and then start actively shopping him until someone backs the truck up to Walt's doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Are we going to move him off catcher? The guy has a chance to be a pretty elite player behind the dish, but probably isn't all that special at first or third. Let scouts drool over him for the next year and then start actively shopping him until someone backs the truck up to Walt's doorstep.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    It's as good a plan as any I suppose. I mean, they all sound good in theory. There are still a lot of unknowns though, so I am thinking more about how we keep this guy and benefit from it. If he performs well and by god we do not need him, then how lucky we are! The vibe surrounding him will hopefully not be that we don't want or need him, that doesn't help his value.

As for 1b, if he OPS'd .825 he'd be above league average, so it's possible he'd be a benefit there. If somehow he played 3b and OPS'd .750 he'd be above league average. 3b is not the power position it once was I guess.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?