Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday 7/6/2011 MiLB Updates:

Re: Wednesday 7/6/2011 MiLB Updates:

The line tonight for Justice French of the AZL Reds, the 25th-round draft choice out of Mercer: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 12 K. They lead 9-1 in the ninth.

Brandon Dailey is 3/5 (.450) and stole home in a double steal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Billings won 13-9. Nick O'Shea (3/6, 2 doubles, .308) is looking interesting. He's the 24th-rounder out of Minnesota, listed as a first baseman. But he has been catching for Billings. Big guy (6-3, 220). Anybody have a scouting report on his catching?

Brennan May, who I believe was signed out of independent ball, has six RBIs tonight for the AZL Reds, and he didn't start the game. After an earlier HR, he just doubled with the bases loaded on two-out walks. It's 12-1.

Bakersfield lost 7-6. Stephen Hunt (.330) had two doubles.

Whoa. And now SS Juan Perez (.367) has added a ninth-inning grand slam and the AZL Reds lead 17-1 . . . And that's the final . . . Billings and AZL both had 8-run innings tonight.

Amid all the slugging tonight (even the VSL Reds won 9-3), there was this line (today) from 19-year-old (almost 20) lefty Wandy Peralta, the starter for the DSL Reds, who won 6-0:
    5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 5 BB. 8 K.
    Two relievers completed the 1-hit shutout.
    Last edited by mace; 07-07-2011 at 01:04 AM.

The rally included a HR by Torreyes.
    And he's going to be significantly stronger in 3-4 years.

There is no reason to worry about Ronald Torreyes being a legitimate prospect to start in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Cozart is a major upgrade over Janish TODAY.

and as a previous poster pointed out, Alonso looked very comfortable in LF tonight. Made some very instinctive plays in the field. He's obviously getting more comfortable out there.
    Thank you for your eyewitness accounts. They go a long way with me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    And he's going to be significantly stronger in 3-4 years.

There is no reason to worry about Ronald Torreyes being a legitimate prospect to start in the big leagues.
    I don't know why there is an assumption that he is going to be significantly stronger in a few more years. If he were 6'2" and 165 pounds, sure. He would have room to add a lot of muscle. But he is about 5'7" and 130 pounds. Not a ton of room to add on to.

I don't know why there is an assumption that he is going to be significantly stronger in a few more years. If he were 6'2" and 165 pounds, sure. He would have room to add a lot of muscle. But he is about 5'7" and 130 pounds. Not a ton of room to add on to.
    Kids grow up. He'll have access to advanced strength and conditioning coaching, too. While we could debate what it means to gain "significant" strength, I think there's no doubt he'll put on at least 20 pounds of mostly muscle. He can hit the ball out of the park now. He'll have no real trouble finding that short leftfield deck in GAB from time to time a few years from now.

Kids grow up. He'll have access to advanced strength and conditioning coaching, too. While we could debate what it means to gain "significant" strength, I think there's no doubt he'll put on at least 20 pounds of mostly muscle. He can hit the ball out of the park now. He'll have no real trouble finding that short leftfield deck in GAB from time to time a few years from now.
    20 pounds of muscle is a LOT to add for someone of his size. If Billy Hamilton put on 20 pounds of muscle, I would be willing to say ok. But Hamilton is also 6 inches taller. Torreyes simply is a very short, very frail framed guy. I have argued this point against Dee Gordon for 3 years now and he hasn't added any weight. He is a similar type of frame.

And lets temper the "he can hit the ball out of the park now so he will have no trouble doing so in the future" talk. I have seen Paul Janish hit HR's too. That doesn't mean he isn't having trouble doing it with that short left field deck in GABP. The guy has 1 HR this year (Torreyes). He has a range of power that could be anywhere from none to Jimmy Rollins. We simply don't know at this point.

He has a range of power that could be anywhere from none to Jimmy Rollins. We simply don't know at this point.
    I think we know more than you think. RT has unquestioned EBH power/hittability at his current size and age. He's going to add strength. That's simply a fact. He won't slug a big number, but he won't "get the bat knocked out of his hands," as some seem to think. Doug, you've contended Torreyes' size is a major concern. I'm saying it isn't. Let's leave it at that.

I think we know more than you think. RT has unquestioned EBH power/hittability at his current size and age. He's going to add strength. That's simply a fact. He won't slug a big number, but he won't "get the bat knocked out of his hands," as some seem to think. Doug, you've contended Torreyes' size is a major concern. I'm saying it isn't. Let's leave it at that.
    Who are these "we" people that you are referring to?

As for him adding some strength, sure. But I don't think he is going to add anywhere near the kind of muscle mass that you seem to think he will. I also don't seem to think that anyone expects him to have the bats knocked out of his hands.

I don't think his size is a major concern, or even a concern to really be worried about. I just don't think the guy is going to get all that measurably bigger than he is right now because of the frame that he has.

Who are these "we" people that you are referring to?
    All of us who are paying attention.

As for him adding some strength, sure. But I don't think he is going to add anywhere near the kind of muscle mass that you seem to think he will. I also don't seem to think that anyone expects him to have the bats knocked out of his hands.
    We'll see. I'm pretty certain RT will be around 160 by the time he's 23-24.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    20 pounds of muscle is a LOT to add for someone of his size. If Billy Hamilton put on 20 pounds of muscle, I would be willing to say ok. But Hamilton is also 6 inches taller. Torreyes simply is a very short, very frail framed guy. I have argued this point against Dee Gordon for 3 years now and he hasn't added any weight. He is a similar type of frame.
    When I was 18, I was 5'8" 125 lbs. 6 years later I am 150 lbs with the same body fat, and I am by no means a big guy. Still pretty small actually. At 5'7" it's highly unlikely that Torreyes every becomes a power hitter, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect him to put on 15-20 pounds with a good training program.

Turn Off Ads?