Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who has served on a Jury.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 34.09%
  • No, was called but not selected.

11 25.00%
  • No

17 38.64%
  • No, not of age.

1 2.27%

Thread: How many people have served on a Jury?

How many people have served on a Jury?

How many RedsZoners have served on a jury?

I have never served, always got out of it because I was serving in the military away from my home of record.

So here goes a poll.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How many people have served on a Jury?

I am actually on call right now through the end of September. Waiting to see if I get called. It is federal.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I was called once but the judge excused me because I am a lawyer. Lawyers are not necessarily excused from jury service as a matter of course but I have yet to try a case where one side or the other did not eventually strike any lawyer from the jury panel. Particlarly in a smaller state such as West Virginia most lawyers are at least somewhat known to other members of the bar and too easily pegged as being either pro-plaintiff or pro- defendant.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was called, but was in the middle of student teaching, so they let me out of it.

I've been called 3x, got out the first time due to travels. And never had my group called into the courthouse (you check online or call in the night before to see if you have to show up) either of the next two times.

Something I'd love to do when I'm retired, but while I have work to do, would much rather skip. With that said, not a huge fan of the jury system, I'd rather see all trials be decided by a group of 3 or 5 judges that are familar with the law and can't easily be confussed by a "slick" lawyer/prosecuter.

Called once, but didn't actually have to go to the courthouse--another "call the night before" situation.

I'd like to do jury duty at least once. Think it would be an interesting experience.

I served as an alternate on a Murder trial, it lasted 3 days. Very interesting and I am glad I got to have the experience.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

For a Level Playing Field

Was seated on a trial for crack cocaine possession. The accused was the brother of the mayor of Dayton at the time. I think it was the 3rd time he had been busted for crack possession and was looking at 1-1/2 years of jail time. This trial took place approx. 6 months after OJ Simpson was found not guilty of double-murder. During the Q-and-A session with both attornies I was asked if I thought the court system was fair. Of course all those questioned before me gave the PC answers... my answer was "I feel the system is flawed". I was told that my honesty was appreciated and asked to elaborate. I told them that a recent trial in California really made me doubt the system and the tactics that attornies are allowed to use to manipulate the outcome of a trial. Both sides were allowed to excuse 3 jurors. Needless to say I was #1 on the defense's list. See what happens when you are honest in the courtroom?!? lol

Convicted in twenty minutes- home by lunch. Seriously, it was sad; a case where the accused insisted on fighting a drug possession and OWI charge. She had no chance.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I was on a jury for a case where the defendant was accused of selling crack cocaine. He was a wealthy 70+ year old man. It was a sting operation recorded on audiotape. We convicted him and he got 3 years I think. Most of the people on the jury were morons who paid almost no attention to the testimony nor the evidence. They just felt the guy must be guilty or he would not have been charged. Only a couple of us actually wanted to deliberate and review the evidence before reaching a conclusion. I came away feeling the "jury of your peers" system was a travesty. The guy was definitely guilty even though the prosecution was not entirely honest in their tactics. But most defendants would be convicted whether they are guilty or not unless one stubborn juror holds out long enough for a mistrial to be declared. That is the way the justice system works in Warren County apparently. I read somewhere during the Ryan Widmer trial that Warren County has the highest conviction rate in the nation -- and I can see why that is since the jurors there trust the authorities so implicitly that they don't need to pay attention during a trial.

All in all I found the experience very interesting and even enjoyable. If you are called for jury duty I recommend not trying to get out of it. Everyone should experience it at least once to see what it is like. It will make you a better citizen.

I was on a jury for district court in Kentucky way back in the early 80's. It was a court mainly for misdemeanors. A class C felony was the highest crime tried in this court. Most of the cases gave you good laugh. It was people trying,on their own, to fight public drunkedness or minor drug possesions. This jury met weekly, on Tuesdays for about three months IIRC. I got out of it after four weeks because I had to go back to college. Good experience though. I wouldn't mind serving again as long as it wasn't a jury that met for a few months like Federal grand jury's do. I have gotten notices to report for jury duty here in Loudoun County Virginia. But when I call the night before my jury number doesn't have to report.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Most of the people on the jury were morons who paid almost no attention to the testimony nor the evidence. They just felt the guy must be guilty or he would not have been charged. Only a couple of us actually wanted to deliberate and review the evidence before reaching a conclusion. I came away feeling the "jury of your peers" system was a travesty. The guy was definitely guilty even though the prosecution was not entirely honest in their tactics. But most defendants would be convicted whether they are guilty or not unless one stubborn juror holds out long enough for a mistrial to be declared. That is the way the justice system works in Warren County apparently. I read somewhere during the Ryan Widmer trial that Warren County has the highest conviction rate in the nation -- and I can see why that is since the jurors there trust the authorities so implicitly that they don't need to pay attention during a trial.

All in all I found the experience very interesting and even enjoyable. If you are called for jury duty I recommend not trying to get out of it. Everyone should experience it at least once to see what it is like. It will make you a better citizen.
    This was my experience as well, a few of the juror's pretty much said this is what I think and I am not going to change my mind so either go with what I say or call it a hung jury. After they had us deliberate for 12+ hours in a 14 by 14 room people just caved to get out of there. If I am ever on trial I want a jury trial only if I am guilty.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Attempted murder trial the summer after my Freshman year of trial -- two drug dealers in north Minneapolis. Should have been an open and shut case as the defendant shot at and hit his target twice, pausing for 4-5 seconds between shots, as the target drove past him. Hit him once in the hand through the windshield and a second time in the lower back through the passenger side rear door. But the prosecutor was completely incompetent, focused on the wrong things and basically ignored the question of intent. And of course a few jurors came to the belief that short of an admission, intent is impossible to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt. "Maybe he thought it was self-defense" or "Maybe he was just trying to scare him". Ended up as a hung jury -- completely and utterly ridiculous.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

On a jury in a DUI case. It was awesome.

One of the jurors was (1) an attorney, who (2) had been convicted of something like 8 DUIs in a decade. I've talked to probably 25 attorneys and judges since then, and every single one of them is completely baffled as to how that guy ended up being empaneled.

The defendant was a middle-aged female. All the women on the jury just absolutely tore the woman to shreds. She admitted to being out with friends until about 3, then went home. Got called by friends at 4:30 am to meet up at IHOP. She was pulled when she was on her way home from IHOP at about 5:30 am.

As soon as the door closed to start deliberating, the female jurors all started railing on her for lying. All of the guys asked how the women knew the defendant was lying.

"When you're home in bed asleep and you get a call to go back out, you don't put your stiletto heeled boots back on."

Boom.

Guilty, Your Honor.

Maybe I'm a rare commodity, but I've never been called (yet). I'm sure my day is coming soon enough though.

Turn Off Ads?