Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dontrelle Willis: did I read this right?

Dontrelle Willis: did I read this right?

I follow Louisville, but not as closely as many here. So when looking at Willis' stats today, I saw a lot of good things: BB/9 less than 2.5, a 3.3:1 K/BB ratio, 64% strikes which is sufficient, only 5 homers in 75 innings, etc.

But here's what jumped out at me: 3:1 GB:FB ratio.

Is that accurate? If so, this might turn out to be a tremendous addition for Cincinnati.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dontrelle Willis: did I read this right?

Yep, that's right. Ive been following D-Train pretty closely since we signed him. He's been killing it in AAA lately, and it's been rumored that a lot of teams have interest in him. Im glad it seems that he'll get a shot soon with the MLB club. About time.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Yep, that's right. Ive been following D-Train pretty closely since we signed him. He's been killing it in AAA lately, and it's been rumored that a lot of teams have interest in him. Im glad it seems that he'll get a shot soon with the MLB club. About time.

-Matt
    Great to hear, thanks.

The Reds could use someone that doesn't walk guys and keeps the ball on the ground. Cueto and Leake have been doing it. Bailey is capable of it. But getting another guy in the rotation to do that would be tremendous. Hopefully Willis' turnaround is legit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I follow Louisville, but not as closely as many here. So when looking at Willis' stats today, I saw a lot of good things: BB/9 less than 2.5, a 3.3:1 K/BB ratio, 64% strikes which is sufficient, only 5 homers in 75 innings, etc.

But here's what jumped out at me: 3:1 GB:FB ratio.

Is that accurate? If so, this might turn out to be a tremendous addition for Cincinnati.
    supposedly he has found a little extra velocity as well, at least according to his agent.

Yea, I believe he's hitting 94-95 routinely, no?

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Yea, I believe he's hitting 94-95 routinely, no?

-Matt
    That is what I was thinking. I always liked watching Dontrelle, other than Arroyo, he is still the most accomplished starter in the Reds system.

The only thing I worry about with Dontrelle is his mental state. There is no question he has the arm and the stuff to succeed because he used to be an excellent MLB pitcher. Did he have any arm problems after that? It seems to me when he had those awful years it was because he fell apart mentally. It sure looks like he has gotten his head screwed on straight again now. I can't wait to see how he does for the Reds.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

He will start Sunday against the Brewers

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dontrelle Willis in AAA: 54% GB rate.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dontrelle Willis in AAA: 54% GB rate.
    The numbers don't seem to jive quite right, though 54% is obviously excellent. If Baseball America's 2.97 GB:FB is correct, that means his FB% is 18.1%. That's possible, though it also means his LD% is as high as 27% which is a bit shaky.

Either way, he's having a good year and I hope it continues. I was just curious if those numbers were accurate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The numbers don't seem to jive quite right, though 54% is obviously excellent. If Baseball America's 2.97 GB:FB is correct, that means his FB% is 18.1%. That's possible, though it also means his LD% is as high as 27% which is a bit shaky.

Either way, he's having a good year and I hope it continues. I was just curious if those numbers were accurate.
    http://firstinning.com/players/Dontrelle-Willis-a/

Oh I went and looked at that, so I didn't mean to doubt you, I just meant I'm trying to reverse-engineer these numbers and decide if they're accurate. I suppose they could be, but I was nearly giddy at the thought of another extreme GB pitcher and didn't want to get my hopes up

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    He will start Sunday against the Brewers
    Is this true? Who's spot is he taking?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Is this true? Who's spot is he taking?
    Considering Volquez got sent to AAA today, my money is on him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Considering Volquez got sent to AAA today, my money is on him.
    I didn't even hear that. Sorry Walt...maybe you aren't in a coma after all.

Turn Off Ads?