Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Thing That Happened Was Winning Division In 2010

Worst Thing That Happened Was Winning Division In 2010

That will set us back 3 years and may cost us our window.

The cold hard truth is that Walt Jockerty did not want Dusty Baker back, but because the Reds arrived a year early and won the division in spite of BakerMetrics, Walt was forced to give Baker a contract extension.

Instead of a solid baseball man to oversee the youngsters, the Reds are now stuck with Baker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst Thing That Happened Was Winning Division In 2010

While ultimately fans don't win games, it's rather amusing lots of folks were content JUST winning the division last year.

Just remember, we played 3 more games than the Pirates last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post

The cold hard truth is that Walt Jockerty did not want Dusty Baker back, but because the Reds arrived a year early and won the division in spite of BakerMetrics, Walt was forced to give Baker a contract extension.

Instead of a solid baseball man to oversee the youngsters, the Reds are now stuck with Baker.
    This might be the most ignorant thread i've seen. If you really think Dusty Baker is the problem with the Reds, then you haven't watched much baseball. The simple fact of why they are losing games is either the pitchers give up to many runs, and the fact that when they get very few runs they don't score. I don't think going to the playoffs is going to set us back, and Walt was probably gonna give him an extension anyways. "I think we got here sooner than a lot of people thought -- to the playoffs," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "I think a lot of it is due to Dusty's leadership."
    Last edited by matt85webb; 07-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.

I'll take the memories.

Until last year, in the time that I've been actively following the team, I had never seen the Reds A). win their division, or B). play in the postseason.

The ending was disappointing, as has this season thus far, but I will never forget where I was and what I was doing when Jay Bruce hit that home run to win the central.

Yep, Dusty is the guy pitching 4.5 ERA ball, and OPSing .520
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post

Hi BRM7576, why did you change your screen name?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Pretty forward thinking from a guy named "FireDusty."

Ok, so let's fire Dusty. Who did you have in mind to hire that would actually come here? Are you a Jerry Narron fan?

Quote Originally Posted by matt85webb View Post
    This might be the most ignorant thread i've seen. If you really think Dusty Baker is the problem with the Reds, then you haven't watched much baseball. The simple fact of why they are losing games is either the pitchers give up to many runs, and the fact that when they get very few runs they don't score. I don't think going to the playoffs is going to set us back, and Walt was probably gonna give him an extension anyways. "I think we got here sooner than a lot of people thought -- to the playoffs," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "I think a lot of it is due to Dusty's leadership."
    Agree 100% with this.

Any logical person can see how the team has improved in the Walt/Dusty era although a big kudos should be sent to Wayne Krivsky for some very good draft classes as well.

But when your screen name is FireDusty, you probably missed the logic train.

So, some of you think we are winning more games because of dusty? I completely disagree with that, I personally think he throws more games away than any manager in the MLB. He stuck with Volquez too long, he stuck with reneria/janish too long, he stuck with Gomes too long, he is sticking with stubbs WAY too long. He is a TERRIBLE manager.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

either way if he good or bad dusty trust his players. he trust the player can get the job done. yes he does some dumb things but it happens everywhereeee. he also does some good things. I think some people care more about dusty than winning.

Quote Originally Posted by HatchMo View Post
    So, some of you think we are winning more games because of dusty? I completely disagree with that, I personally think he throws more games away than any manager in the MLB. He stuck with Volquez too long, he stuck with reneria/janish too long, he stuck with Gomes too long, he is sticking with stubbs WAY too long. He is a TERRIBLE manager.
    Part of growing young talent and relying on them to win you games is living with the ups and downs that come with being a young player. I'm mainly talking about Stubbs here btw. He stuck with Bruce when he was in a rut and Bruce carried the team for a month in a hot stretch.

We don't have a bunch of proven seasoned vets on the team so we just have to accept that guys are going to be up and down at this point in their career.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I'll take the memories.

Until last year, in the time that I've been actively following the team, I had never seen the Reds A). win their division, or B). play in the postseason.

The ending was disappointing, as has this season thus far, but I will never forget where I was and what I was doing when Jay Bruce hit that home run to win the central.
    This. If it's all Dusty's fault this year, why did they win last year with Dusty? Do you really think this team is soooo much better in terms of talent than St. Louis, or Milwaukee that being 3 games behind them is due to bad leadership? The worst thing that happened is having ownership that is content with their team winning a division, and not having goals higher than that.

Fans like me, who were born in 1991 or so...really are deeply saddened we saw the Reds win last year.

I think I'll go throw away my Champions shirt just because it meant we brought Dusty back.

Do people even think before they post this crap?

Dusty does make some moves (or doesn't) that do leave me scratching my head. But doesn't every manager? When a guy wins as many games as Dusty has, he is doing most things very well. I don't think Dusty is perfect, no man is. He is very successful at what he does. I don't drink the Dusty Baker "kool aid," but I try to be realistic. What manager is going to do better with what we have taking the field every day? I have to give Dusty the benefit of the doubt, he was a Marine. Semper Fi, do or die. The idea that winning the division last year was detrimental to the success of the team this year is absurd. The poor off-season decision making of the front office, and reversal of fortune are the reason this team is not performing up to our standards. You have to use your brains and analyze things, knee jerk reactions are far too abundant on this board, lately.

Sorry if my bad spelling or poor grammar is offensive to anyone. I don't want to go down that road.

Turn Off Ads?