Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volquez now a center piece...

Volquez now a center piece...

Has to be said. Now that he is in his second tour with the Bats, he will not be back with the big club unless its an emergency. Willis and Wood both have jumped him on the pecking order. At this point he can become a very valuible trade piece in aquiring a certain SS or a upgrade in the rotation. (I leave out LF because 23 HR and 76 RBI from the current platoon combined, is a steal for the 3 Million they are paying for it) ... Now with a young pitcher with 2 years of control left, A legit 1B prospect, and some very nice parts, there isn't a talent they shouldn't be able to aquire or a deal they cannot trump. The trick is finding a GM who overvalues Volquez to maximize the return. CoughKennyWillamsCough...

Thoughts?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Volquez now a center piece...

As Marty said on the broadcast last night, I doubt he'll ever be back with the Reds at the MLB level again. I can't imagine that any trading partner will overvalue Volquez right now. As of today, he's a throw-in, rather than a centerpiece.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Just don't let the Cards ever get their hands on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Just don't let the Cards ever get their hands on him.
    He'd be Doc Gooden, pre 1990.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    As Marty said on the broadcast last night, I doubt he'll ever be back with the Reds at the MLB level again. I can't imagine that any trading partner will overvalue Volquez right now. As of today, he's a throw-in, rather than a centerpiece.
    Disagree. Young power arms that have won 17 games in a season are rare commodities. Any GM can look and see he will be on the cheap for a couple more years. Probably sign a LTC if he has a ok year next year with the mistake he made over the winter costing him Millions. I am certain some GM somewhere will get the fever, thinking if their staff can get their hands on him they could fix him. Teams on the bottom need to take risks like Volquez in the hopes of catching Lighting in a bottle.

You're not going to get anything substantial for him now. Yes, teams need to take risks like him but they aren't going to take that risk if it requires substantial cost in order to acquire him. Like Unassisted said, Volquez is a final piece/throw in right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

I disagree that he's necessarily done as a Red but it bodes well for the team if he is because that means Wood and Willis are doing well. But if they bomb at the ML level as well then Volquez could easily be back

Agree with you and Marty. This is the 2nd team for Volquez to get a poor rating from. Teams will be much more cautious in trying to trade for him. He will have be a throw in for someone to take him. Marty is entirely correct on this one. Unless the Reds have a bunch of major injuries to the staff in the near future he will never be back. Just reading between the lines of things it seems Dusty and Jocketty have had it with him. He keeps repeating the same mistakes time after time. You just can't have that on the MLB level.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Ah. Just don't see it. If guys like Alex Rios and Vernon Wells with Multi-Million dollar contracts can be moved for real MLB talent, a guy like Volquez who is a pitcher with a huge upside arm a low upside head, and about 2 and a half years of control for roughly 5 to 7 Million if he performs ok is alot more fluid as far as teams willing to bid on him. A package of Him, Cozart, Heisey, Boxberger and parts, should get you Reyes and Beltran.

I think I was one of those guys who overvalued our rotation. I never dreamed a 5+ ERA. I know we've had some injuries, but we really have 1 complete starter right now that gives you innings and low ERA. I am hopeful it will improve. I do predict Volquez will easily be back and starting at some point this year. I think he was just sent down really to give DW a shot and another pitcher up here after the long extra innings with the AS break coming up. The team has no spark and just can't win 2 games in a row. But I'm optimistic.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Volquez is not done. His arm is too live. If nothing else, he'll move to the bullpen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Can't see another team viewing Volquez as anything more than a reclamation project in value. Those are obtained for some longshot minor leaguer after a DFA these days.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

As Marty said on the broadcast last night, I doubt he'll ever be back with the Reds at the MLB level again.

I would bet Marty will be wrong.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I would bet Marty will be wrong.
    While that may be true, he is going to have to go down to AAA and really be impressive to get another chance with the Reds. Odds of that happening? I might betcha
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Dealing Volquez right now is the very definition of selling low. His trade value is close to zero at this point.

Turn Off Ads?