Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Volquez now a center piece...

Re: Volquez now a center piece...

I'm not a baseball genius, but I got a very bad feeling from Volquez's implosion in the NLDS last year. It just seemed to me like he was out of his head, unable to get himself under control in the most important game of his life. And if I remember correctly, his head was the problem at Texas. You can be a flake and play right field or first base, but you have to be under control to pitch and I question whether the guy has the mental make up to live up to the talent in his arm.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    he was out of his head, unable to get himself under control
    that describes it, IMO.

There is no way this organization is giving up on Volquez. Not a chance. This may be his final wake up call, but his "morning" will last two more years at least.

-The Insider-

He'll be out of options next year. I doubt he'd get through. Maybe, if he drops off that much more between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I meant more what is the root cause of all that? Poor location? Bad mechanics? Bad pitch selection? Too predictable? Too easily shook? He seems to have the "stuff".
    Which, IMO, points to "it's in his head". I think he's a hyper emotional person who mentally allows himself to get rattled and it throws him off his game. He then starts to think too much, puts too much pressure on himself, and over corrects.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Which, IMO, points to "it's in his head". I think he's a hyper emotional person who mentally allows himself to get rattled and it throws him off his game. He then starts to think too much, puts too much pressure on himself, and over corrects.
    I think it has a lot more to do with the inconsistency of his release points. Apart from the first half of the first year he was here, he has been a pitcher who consistently gives up way more walks than is consistent with success. The problem isn't new, it's not solely attributable to the surgery, and he's not making any progress on it. I don't believe the Reds will give up on him; doing so would be unwise, as his trade value now is at probably its lowest point. This is why some of us advocated trading him earlier when he could still be made to appear to have some value--mostly in theoretical upside. So I expect to see him continue to work on his delivery and control in AAA and to see the club go ahead without considering him as part of the future. If he makes it back, or at least accrues some trade value, that's great, but I don't think anybody in the FO is counting on that any longer.

I know that 'quality start' is a pretty inexact stat but here goes.

As a Red April 2008 through 6/20/08: 12 QS out of 16 total starts
    The rest of 2008: 8/17
    2009: 3/9
    2010: 7/13
    2011: 5/16

It shows what my memory recalls. EV was really good in his first 3 months as a Red. Then he was not so good. Even pre injury he was bad in the 2nd half of 2008. This is what some folks seem to forget. I keep hearing about how it takes time to come back from TJ surgery. Yet is time really what is going to get us the early 2008 EV? Or will time simply get us the late 2008 EV? Call me pessimistic but I think early 2008 was a looooong way away & that EV is unlikely to return to that level of success.

Edinson Volquez as the new Dontrelle Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Edinson Volquez as the new Dontrelle Willis?
    I prefer the new Dontrelle Willis himself to EV. Or I suppose I hope we have the old Dontrelle Willis. From ages 21-25, DW pitched 1022 innings or an average of 204 per year, with a K/W ratio of 2.20 and 3 W's per 9. EV hasn't pitched half that number of innings in his entire career and only once has he approached Willis's 5 yr. mark for K/W--not surprisingly, this was in EV's one good year of 2008 when he hit 2.22. Willis has, in short, been a much more valuable pitcher than Volquez so let's hope for the new Dontrelle or, as I said, the one from the first five years of his career.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

It seems pretty simple to me. He goes to AAA, if he gets much better and we need a starter (injury, ineffectiveness, etc.) at the ML level, he returns. If he doesn't improve or we don't need a starter, he stays there. He's probably behind Wood in line to come back though, so it will be a long road. At this point I wouldn't trade him (his lowest value) unless he goes to another division and we get a really great return. I have doubts about him coming out of the bullpen. He is at his worst in the first inning he pitches, so we want to make every inning he pitches his first? I guess it's worth a shot if he never settles down as a starter, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I imagine there is an agent somewhere that is crying over that lack of a signature on last winter's contract offer.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I imagine there is an agent somewhere that is crying over that lack of a signature on last winter's contract offer.
    Volquez probably won't have the same agent next year since it was his agent who advised him against signing. This is why you should always take what's in front of you versus being greedy. Cost himself 12 or more Million.

Turn Off Ads?