Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From ORG - Volquez now a center piece...

From ORG - Volquez now a center piece...

Volquez now a center piece...

Has to be said. Now that he is in his second tour with the Bats, he will not be back with the big club unless its an emergency. Willis and Wood both have jumped him on the pecking order. At this point he can become a very valuible trade piece in aquiring a certain SS or a upgrade in the rotation. (I leave out LF because 23 HR and 76 RBI from the current platoon combined, is a steal for the 3 Million they are paying for it) ... Now with a young pitcher with 2 years of control left, A legit 1B prospect, and some very nice parts, there isn't a talent they shouldn't be able to aquire or a deal they cannot trump. The trick is finding a GM who overvalues Volquez to maximize the return. CoughKennyWillamsCough...

Thoughts?

My stats show a combined 14HR and 47RBI in LF based on the time served by Hermida, Gomes, Heisey and Lewis. Where in the world did he come up with 23HR and 76RBI???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: From ORG - Volquez now a center piece...

Homeruns/RBI
    Jonny: 11/31
    Heisey: 10/31
    Lewis: 2/14
    Hermida: 1/3

Total: 24/79

Now...whether or not Heisey was playing left when he hit all of those is another question.
    Last edited by KYRedLeg; 07-08-2011 at 11:17 AM.

If you look up "situational stats" on Yahoo you will see that when playing LF in 2011 those players hit this line.

HR/RBI
    Gomes 9/27
    Hermida 1/3
    Lewis 1/8
    Heisey 3/9
    Total 14/47
    Not 24/79

24/79 is an all star platoon. Every Reds fan would love that line. Instead we complain about what we have going out there almost every night.
    Last edited by Redsnake; 07-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.

I am going to help people view this another way.

There is another 27 year old pitcher with a power arm who has had TJ Surgury.

He is 24 -30 by Win/Loss record over the last 2 years plus. This year he is 5-7 with a 5.06 ERA. He is out of options so... His team is stuck with him. I would guess he would be avalible in a couple weeks as well. I would bet my sizable paycheck, that at least 40% or more of this board would move at LEAST, Mesoraco for him.

It's Francisco Liriano.

You think Minnesota is gonna use him as a throw in to pick up a rental Player? Hardly.
    Volquez is not a center piece unless it is a trade out of Cincinnati

He had 3 great months 4 years ago and that is it

The 1st half of 08 was amazing, but he has a 5.42 the rest of his career

This is a player that got buster for Roids, you can not tell me Roids to not have an impact on his 1st half in 2008. Roids and the fact batters were seeing him for the 1st time in a new league is the only thing have made those 3 months great.

It is time to see what if anything the Reds can trade him for
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 07-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Volquez is not a center piece unless it is a trade out of Cincinnati

He had 3 great months 4 years ago and that is it

The 1st half of 08 was amazing, but he has a 5.42 the rest of his career

This is a player that got buster for Roids, you can not tell me Roids to not have an impact on his 1st half in 2008. Roids and the fact batters were seeing him for the 1st time in a new league is the only thing have made those 3 months great.

It is time to see what if anything the Reds can trade him for
    x2

Teams are always looking for "projects," especially ones that have the kind of stuff Volquez does. The problem is his attitude and performance are equally awful. I don't think he is a centerpiece for any trade unless the return is a cheese sandwich. At this point he is a "throw in" if anything.

I never really liked the guy because of his body language and the fact that they traded my favorite player at the time for him. I knew at the time it wasn't a good trade but being a Reds fan I really wished it wouldn't have been this one sided. At this point, Volquez doesn't have much value. If he puts up dominating numbers at AAA, there always seems to be this "OMG he's back!" roll that people get on in these situations because he had one good season long ago. We can hope for that but there is no way that the Reds can really turn him into anything of value right now.

I think that it would be crazy to trade Volquez. Besides Chapman, he probably has the best arm in the reds organization. If they trade him, they are going to regret it because he will get it going eventually.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Teams are always looking for "projects," especially ones that have the kind of stuff Volquez does. The problem is his attitude and performance are equally awful. I don't think he is a centerpiece for any trade unless the return is a cheese sandwich. At this point he is a "throw in" if anything.
    For that reason, I think they'd have to package him with some other guys to make any kind of deal involving him more attractive. I do agree with others, though, that it's time for him to go.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Everyone knows Volquez has TOR stuff. His SO/9 shows that he has nasty junk, and anyone who watches him pitch will see that he makes hitters miss a lot. He also has been terrible with his control. But many teams are willing to take that chance with a young, cheap pitcher like Volquez. I think there will be teams that would want him. He did finish 2nd in the Cy Young in 2008 and is still recovering from Tommy John surgery. His peripherals are on a different level than every other Reds starter. As bad as he has looked, I still believe he will be really good at some point , though always a little wild.

I think it would be foolish not to shop Volquez, Jocketty knows he still has value.I suspect now (or if he makes a few good starts in AAA,before he is moved up) is the time to shop.I don't think you want to allow for Volquez's "3rd" strike,exponential drop in value then.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 07-08-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    May the Lord bless

I am not convinced that Volquez has the mental capacity to ever reach his potential. He has a history of needing to be micromanaged in Texas, where stories of his off-field "oddities" were rampant and enough of a concern that the Rangers FO essentially had to manage his life for him.

I just thank the Lord every day that he declined that LTC.

My stats show a combined 14HR and 47RBI in LF based on the time served by Hermida, Gomes, Heisey and Lewis. Where in the world did he come up with 23HR and 76RBI???[/B]
    Last year.

Stat geek...and proud

Volquez is still just 23 months removed from Tommy John Surgery. It takes 24-30 months to recover fully. Velocity comes back first, command comes back last. Just because you can pitch 10-12 months out doesn't mean you're "back." You're basically learning to pitch again from scratch.

Look up Francisco Liriano's numbers after his surgery and you've got a comparison. He gets next year to put up or shut up, or at least he should.

I could not care less about "attitude" or "body language" if he can throw strikes. He's here to get people out, not make friends.

And there is always the possibility that he never returns to his pre-injury form. Tommy John patients only recover fully 95% of the time. He could be one of the outliers. If so, his career will be over, anyway.

My biggest fear is that we move him and he goes on a tear after being fully back. Ryan Dempster sure would have looked good in the rotation the past few years.

Ubaldo Jimenez- This is the type of ace we need to acquire. Send them Volquez, Yonder Alonso, Grandal, and couple more prospects.

Turn Off Ads?