Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday July 8, 2011 Minor League Updates

Re: Friday July 8, 2011 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    anyone that little with that much hitting ability needs a nickname. do we have a nickname for him yet? If not, I suggest El Cargabates (the Batboy). I think it works. He's about the size of a batboy, looks like a kid, and carries a big bat.
    No, he's the "paperboy" because he always delivers...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sean Buckley has hit his second HR of the night to put Billings up 9-6 in the ninth. He's 3-4 and batting .321.

Brennan May looks like a nice pickup. His fourth HR helps put the AZL Reds ahead 7-2 after five.

James Allen struggles in the ninth, but not quite as catastrophically as Cordero. Billings hangs on, 9-8.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Alejandro Chacin - Barely 18 year old pitcher for the AZL Reds - 1ip, 3K tonight. On the season, 6.1ip, 1BB, 0ER, 15K.

No scouting report on him yet, but I have been trying. Hopefully I can get my hands on some information on this kid soon because what he is doing at his age is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Should we start getting excited about Gerson? Anyone have a scouting report on him?

In 6 starts between Billings and Dayton:

36 IP
    24 H
    7 BB
    28 K
    3 ER
    .75 ERA
    .86 WHIP

I know it's Billings and low-A (and he's not young), but those are some pretty fine numbers. I would assume he's not overpowering as his K numbers have never been too high, but he seems to have something going on.
    Dayton has an intriguing roster right now, especially on the pitching side. Last time I checked, they had the top 3 strikeout pitchers in their league in smith/corcino/renken.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by partisan View Post
    Dayton has an intriguing roster right now, especially on the pitching side. Last time I checked, they had the top 3 strikeout pitchers in their league in smith/corcino/renken.

All the more impressive when you factor in that there are 16 teams in the MW league.

Corcino and Smith are up there in WHIP and ERA too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    anyone that little with that much hitting ability needs a nickname. do we have a nickname for him yet? If not, I suggest El Cargabates (the Batboy). I think it works. He's about the size of a batboy, looks like a kid, and carries a big bat.
    How about "el Toro Nino"? The Baby Bull
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-09-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    That sounds awesome. I like it. But seriously how is he doing this? How does an 18 year old 130 pound second basemen even get a ball over the fence, let alone tear apart a league where kids his age, even top prospects, generally struggle? He's boggling my mind.

How does an 18 year old 130 pound second basemen even get a ball over the fence, let alone tear apart a league where kids his age, even top prospects, generally struggle? He's boggling my mind.
    Take a look at what he did in the VSL last summer. He visited wholesale wreckage there, against mostly older competition. I'm sure he's heard he's too small forever, and I hope he keeps hearing it.

Not bad. He doesn't seem very bull like to me though. How about just Bebe (Babe)?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

El Nino.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    How does an 18 year old 130 pound second basemen even get a ball over the fence, let alone tear apart a league where kids his age, even top prospects, generally struggle? He's boggling my mind.
    Bat speed and the ability to square the ball up very well. Torreyes, by all accounts, has very good bat speed. Bat speed is more important than raw strength and while raw strength can improve ones bat speed, it isn't the only factor in generating it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alejandro Chacin - Barely 18 year old pitcher for the AZL Reds - 1ip, 3K tonight. On the season, 6.1ip, 1BB, 0ER, 15K.

No scouting report on him yet, but I have been trying. Hopefully I can get my hands on some information on this kid soon because what he is doing at his age is ridiculous.
    Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    En enspanol it would be El Torrito...which means the little bull.

Turn Off Ads?