Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masset as closer?

Masset as closer?

I would love to see Dusty give Masset a chance to close.....especially after Cordero's pitiful performance tonight!! Tonight's loss hurts real bad! This team is spiraling out of control fast. It feels like the Reds brass thinks they will miraculously start playing better but that will not happen until players start to understand that there is competition for their spot. I would promote Masset to closer and give him a 2-3 week audition to see what he can do. As long as Masset can do the job, the Reds should consider trading Cordero to a team that will take him. I know everyone is going to say tha Cordero has actually pitched well but his performance tonight sums up his last couple of years with the Reds....no consistency. You never know if he is going to be on his game and sit the competition down 1, 2, 3 or just melt down like tonight! Can't have this inconsistency in a closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Masset as closer?

Chapman

not gonna happen

Chapman's been even more inconsistent. He's been good lately but I would have to see him maintain this over a couple of months.

BAKER12

I say it happens if Reds are 6 or 7 out they become sellers. Being 6 out in a division where barely above .500 wins division is a mountain to climb. In a couple of weeks I predict Masset will be the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbo View Post
    I would love to see Dusty give Masset a chance to close.....especially after Cordero's pitiful performance tonight!! Tonight's loss hurts real bad! This team is spiraling out of control fast. It feels like the Reds brass thinks they will miraculously start playing better but that will not happen until players start to understand that there is competition for their spot. I would promote Masset to closer and give him a 2-3 week audition to see what he can do. As long as Masset can do the job, the Reds should consider trading Cordero to a team that will take him. I know everyone is going to say tha Cordero has actually pitched well but his performance tonight sums up his last couple of years with the Reds....no consistency. You never know if he is going to be on his game and sit the competition down 1, 2, 3 or just melt down like tonight! Can't have this inconsistency in a closer.

Masset has 3 BS & Coco has 4 BS

BAKER12

As long as the roster stays this way, Cordero should be the closer. Just my opinion, but Chapman is not ready. If Cordero was not available, my closer choices: Masset, Ondrusek, Bray, LeCure, Chapman. There is no rule that the closer has to be a strikeout guy that throws 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Exactly, I'm as frustrated as anyone but Cordero is having a great year, no way you remove him from the closer role.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbo View Post
    I know everyone is going to say tha Cordero has actually pitched well but his performance tonight sums up his last couple of years with the Reds....no consistency. You never know if he is going to be on his game and sit the competition down 1, 2, 3 or just melt down like tonight! Can't have this inconsistency in a closer.
    Other than Juiced Eric Gagne, every closer goes through rough patches. Even Mariano. Relievers in general are inconsistent from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    At least two of those were in the first week in the season. I'm not saying remove Cordero, but Masset has been great lately.

With all the potential closers in house, I would take a serious look at selling high on Coco. His contract is up at the end of the year and I don't think the Reds want any part of re-signing him.... not at his current pay. If he (plus others) to a real contender will net you something useful, go for it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    With all the potential closers in house, I would take a serious look at selling high on Coco. His contract is up at the end of the year and I don't think the Reds want any part of re-signing him.... not at his current pay. If he (plus others) to a real contender will net you something useful, go for it.
    I would love it if we traded Cordero, and doing so would not necessarily be a referendum on our intentions to compete this season. It would just be a sound move. Problem is, if we move him, there is no one left in our bullpen with the designated "closer" tag. Imagine the difficulties this presents to a qualified Bakermetrics practitioner.

Bot 9, you're up 4-2. Time to go get the closer, dude. Closers close. Wait, what? We traded our closer? Um.....Bryan, what the hell can we do here? Can't close out a game without a closer, dude....yeah...I agree, Bryan. Ok, c'mere, Paul. Take this note to the umpire, dude. (Written on the note in large manuscript is "WE FOURFET, DUDE. NO CLOSER.")

That's why it simply can't happen.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

If we continue to slide, and we get to a point where there is no chance we make a run I do think we trade Coco. I am certain he would bring a decent return. Say what you want, but guys like Cordero are tough to find. I do think Masset/Ondrusek could close. If we are in contention, no way do I trade Cordero. Any ideas what we could get for Coco?

I wouldn't mind trading Cordero whether we are in contention or not, it would just differ on what we wanted back most likely. A LF or SS if we are still close, someone who can help us next year (3B?) if we are out of it. By that same token, if we are still contention I'm not against keeping him either.

Co Co is having an All Star season with two bad games this week.

Massett? Really

If anyone should be the closer over Co Co, its Bray.

Turn Off Ads?