Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why I think we should be sellers!

Why I think we should be sellers!

I am a diehard Reds fan and I truly believe that we have a solid team but I don't think we have IT this year. The Phillies,Braves, Giants are the favorites and we have too many maybes, so here is what I would like Walt to do. Trade anyone that is expendable/valuable that is not here for the long-term. Guys that fit this profile:

Cordero,Hernandez,Arroyo,Gomes,Lewis,Cairo

I didn't include Rolen as he is signed relatively cheap and he fills a position where we have modest depth in the minors and he is a veteran clubhouse presence. I think Arroyo will turn it around but with the deadline coming someone will want a mid-rotation innings eater and he may bring some decent AA prospects. Cordero is a no-brainer, he's a FA and can be replaced by Masset and we have Boxberger ready to fill-in. Hernandez is a commodity that teams will covet, and we have Mesoraco ready. Also, Alonzo is ready for LF now, we just need to clear a space!
    We have guys ready at AAA/AA to fill spots and audition for 2012, which would allow us to focus the offseason on acquiring SP and SS.

2012 FA shortstops:
    JJ Hardy, Yuniesky Betencourt, Jose Reyes, Jamey Carroll, Rafeal Furcal, Jimmy Rollins.

2012 Left Fielders:
    Ryan Ludwick, Josh Willingham,Pat Burrell, Carlos Beltran,Cody Ross,CoCo Crisp, Michael Cuddyer.

2012 Starting Pitchers
    Mark Buehrle, Edwin Jackson,Paul Maholm,CJ Wilson,Ryan Dempster,Hiroki Kuroda,John Maine,Roy Oswalt,Javier Vasquez,Jason Marquis,Jon Garland, Aaron Cook.

Just my thoughts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why I think we should be sellers!

Cordero and Hernandez might bring something back. You'd have to send a boatload of cash to get anything back for Arroyo. Gomes, Lewis, and Cairo aren't netting anything. Hernandez would be this teams biggest trading chip of guys anyone would want to get rid of.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Shark has jumped on us being buyers. We're 4 games out trending down and have three teams to leap frog.

I would make anyone and everyone available too. There isn't enough out there that can fix this team. Not now. They had the chance but they tried to win on the cheap with make-shift personnel and were too hard headed to bring up talent from AAA. They would rather sit on it and play .500 ball then bring them up and take a shot.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I agree on both accounts so far! I agree Hernandez and Cordero are our biggest chips and can be replaced through AAA.(mesoraco,Boxberger) Arroyo yes cash will have to be included to net a solid prospect, but I would dangle the bait to gauge interest! Yep we tried to go cheap and it bit us, the division is weak and was there for the taking, 85-87 wins will take the division this year IMHO!

If we're talking about selling off vets, I don't see anything we have to sell bringing back anything that would be an upgrade to what we already have and none of these guys represent financial obligations beyond 2011 (Arroyo won't be moved) so there is no payflex to gain.

IMO, the right approach is to hang in there for 2011 and deal some excess kids from among Alonso, Grandal, Janish, Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, etc. to address needs. Somebody like Anibal Sanchez, James Shields, or some other strong number 3 or weak number 2 starter should be on the shopping list. I don't see any of the few number ones or strong 2's in major league baseball available. If they could get a LH OF with pop who kills righties to platoon with Gomes in the 5 hole without giving up anything beyond the expendable fringe and taking on a small contract, they should do that as well.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I believe a thread was started about this exact topic two days ago.

-The Insider-

Arroyo isn't going anywhere. He's not doing "great" and no one wants that contract.

Turn Off Ads?