Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willis to Start Sunday

Willis to Start Sunday

"Dontrelle will start sunday and hopefully he brings us energy"--Dusty on Inside Pitch

And there you go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Willis to Start Sunday

If this was 2006 I'd be JACKED.

As it is in 2011, I'm reasonably intrigued but with low expectations.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He's still only 29. There's reason for guarded optimism here.

I like this. Sending the same players out there night after night and hoping they turn things around is fine about May 1rst. By mid season its past time to do something. Adding Cozart & Willis qualifies as 'something'. Is it as good as trading for Hardy & Felix Hernandez? No. But its better than the status quo. The status quo was going to fail. This may yet fail but we don't know. It has a chance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Willis has looked solid in Louisville. Good control. Better velocity than I expected (low 90's, touching mid 90's). Certainly worth a shot.

I like it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Willis has looked solid in Louisville. Good control. Better velocity than I expected (low 90's, touching mid 90's). Certainly worth a shot.
    That's the main thing. If he has control he will be an improved pitcher

Every year a veteran pitcher makes a good run of it, I'd love to see Willis revive his career for the Reds. I'd love to see him become our #2.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I guess the Jim Bowden days revisited begins--start throwing retreads, career minor leaguers and other marginal arms at the wall and see if something sticks. Ugh. Maybe we can bring Gully back for a special assignment to start fixin' 'em again.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess the Jim Bowden days revisited begins--start throwing retreads, career minor leaguers and other marginal arms at the wall and see if something sticks. Ugh. Maybe we can bring Gully back for a special assignment to start fixin' 'em again.
    But Bowden's speciality was bringing in never-were's. Willis is a legitimate has-been.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The difference is, in the Bowden years, those pitchers would be slotted for #3 in the rotation out of spring. Not be signed to a minor league deal with zero risk, only to have to earn their way onto the big club in July.

Apples and oranges, I'd say.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Not that I expect it to happen at all...but the coolest possible way for things to go this season would be for a re-born Willis to lead the Reds down the stretch to the division crown.

"So Fla Red"

Definitely worth a shot to catch lightning in a bottle. Volquez is simply painful to watch and needs to bore AAA audiences to tears for at least a month. Addition by subtraction.

Will he bat cleanup?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But Bowden's speciality was bringing in never-were's. Willis is a legitimate has-been.
    Faint praise indeed.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?