Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubaldo Jimenez?

Old Red Guard Reject

Ubaldo Jimenez?

According to Rosenthal via MLBTR, the Rockies are getting calls on Jimenez. He is signed through 2014 on a low priced deal and has had a down year thus far. The Rockies are an interesting potential trade partner with an aging Helton at 1B and potential holes at 3B and in the OF. Could this be the ace the Reds need? How about Volquez, Fraizer, Alonzo and Stubbs for Jimenez?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ubaldo Jimenez?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    According to Rosenthal via MLBTR, the Rockies are getting calls on Jimenez. He is signed through 2014 on a low priced deal and has had a down year thus far. The Rockies are an interesting potential trade partner with an aging Helton at 1B and potential holes at 3B and in the OF. Could this be the ace the Reds need? How about Volquez, Fraizer, Alonzo and Stubbs for Jimenez?
    Good lord..why don't you just throw in Votto and Bruce for good measure?

Now that would be a coup if we could pull off a trade with them. I would be reluctant to give up Stubbs, as he's one of our few good options at CF, under team control for many years, and one of our best sources of power and steals... as frustrating as he can be, he's too essential to relinquish. I'd offer Volquez, Alonso, Francisco, Heisey (to be replaced by Sappelt), and Dorn as a throw-in.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I like the thought of making a run at an ace, but that's giving up a ton. Still, I'd probably do it.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I think the perception of how good Jiminez is was skewed by his outstanding first half last year. Over the past three seasons, his xFIP has been 3.59, 3.60 and 3.60. By comparison, this year Mike Leake's xFIP is 3.63. Now, I think Leake can certainly be an important contributor to a big league rotation, but would anyone really consider trading a combination of Volquez, Stubbs, Alonso and so on for another Mike Leake? If the Reds are going to go after a true ace, they should make sure they're getting a true ace back.

No way do I trade Chris Heisey with Volquez, Francisco, and Alonso in this deal. Volquez, Alonso, Dorn, and J Smith and see if they bite.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dude had a rough start to the season. His e.r.a. on May 27th was 5.86 after his first 9 starts. Silver lining is he has lowered it to 4.14 over his last 8 starts. In fact, in those last 8 starts, he has not given up more than 3 earned runs in any of them. Also, he had 30 walks in his first 9 starts, and has only issued 11 walks in his last 8 starts. Obviously, he has gotten his control problems under wraps.

His numbers are improving, and if the Rockies are ready to deal him, I'd be interested.

Alonso has always been that future trade piece blocked by Votto. If they need a future first baseman, obviously the trade starts with Alonso. And they'd probably want a pitcher in return to replace Ubaldo. The argument would be to give Volquez a change of scenery, so throw him in too. And then you probably have to give up a few more prospects with "potential".

I'd do it.

I like let us talk to them, we can work out something.

No

Technically he is only signed thru 2013, he can void 2014 if traded.

I feel like Jimenez is one of those guys that could totally lose control at anytime. I see him as a better version of Volquez because when he's on he's terrific, but he can also be prone to melting down.

I want to go for more of a sure thing.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I feel like Jimenez is one of those guys that could totally lose control at anytime. I see him as a better version of Volquez because when he's on he's terrific, but he can also be prone to melting down.

I want to go for more of a sure thing.
    I think if you could convince the Rockies that a change of scenery for Volquez/Jimenez would be a good thing, and that they'd be picking up their future first baseman in a former #1 pick, Alonso, to replace the aging Helton at first base...........I think they might consider it. Plus, while he's not making alot, Volquez comes cheaper than Jimenez.

just another option to think about...MLBTR is also saying that if the Marlins determine they are out of it Ricky Nolasco could become available

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    I think the perception of how good Jiminez is was skewed by his outstanding first half last year. Over the past three seasons, his xFIP has been 3.59, 3.60 and 3.60. By comparison, this year Mike Leake's xFIP is 3.63. Now, I think Leake can certainly be an important contributor to a big league rotation, but would anyone really consider trading a combination of Volquez, Stubbs, Alonso and so on for another Mike Leake? If the Reds are going to go after a true ace, they should make sure they're getting a true ace back.
    I totally agree, think he is a mirage and is more likely to end up a bust then a legit ace IMO. If we were/are making a big trade, I want a legit guy, not a flavor of the month.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Ken Rosenthal seems to believe that the Reds may be interested in acquiring Jimenez.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

Turn Off Ads?