HR-11/10
    RBI-31/31
    SB-5/11
    BB-37/45
    FPCT-.987/970
    AVG-.218/.217
    OBP-.347/.322
    SLG-.421/.365

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, I guess just to say I'm glad we don't have a guy like Jonny Gomes locked up to a mega contract like what the Nationals are paying for Jayson Werth, lol. Not that everyone didn't already know he was being extremely overpaid as soon as the deal was signed.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Jonny Gomes/Jayson Werth stat comparisons

One of the worst signings ever.

While I agree that Werth is overpaid...I would think the park factor and facing Atlanta/Philly contribute to his numbers. I think Gomes seems like a real swell guy, but Reds should go with Heisey and Lewis in left and bring up another LH bat for the bench(Hermedia).

A 7 year contract for Werth was bad enough. When you combine that it's also $18MM per year, it's crazy. And yes, playing against Philly and Atlanta is not the easiest, but Laynce Nix is having a career year over there, and Adam Dunn knocked out 40 HRs in that park. I would guess he's having a lot of trouble because he's trying to prove that he's worthy of the deal he received, much like Crawford and Uggla.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    A 7 year contract for Werth was bad enough. When you combine that it's also $18MM per year, it's crazy. And yes, playing against Philly and Atlanta is not the easiest, but Laynce Nix is having a career year over there, and Adam Dunn knocked out 40 HRs in that park. I would guess he's having a lot of trouble because he's trying to prove that he's worthy of the deal he received, much like Crawford and Uggla.
    It's interesting to compare the years Crawford, Uggla and Werth are having. With Uggla especially, and to some degree with Crawford, it does seem like they're trying too hard: they're swinging at more pitches out of the strike zone this year, which presumably accounts for some weak contact and changes like Uggla's spike in in-field flyouts.

Werth, on the other hand, is swinging at fewer pitches outside of the zone, and in fact is swinging at fewer pitches in general, as well as swinging and missing less frequently. He's also making more contact, but his power has dropped off a cliff, and so it almost seems like he's too timid in his approach at the plate. I obviously can't say how much of that has to do with signing a big contract, but it does seem at least somewhat plausible that playing with a lot of expectations might make him too nervous to swing as freely as he once might have.

Philly was such a perfect situation for him. He didn't have to be "the man" and he got to play in a great hitters park and get pitches to hit. Now, with the pressure of a new contract, and having to face great NL east pitching, he's struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    I think Gomes seems like a real swell guy, but Reds should go with Heisey and Lewis in left and bring up another LH bat for the bench(Hermedia).
    Did you see what the Brewers did this weekend: Craig Counsell, Nyjer Morgan, George Kottaras, Mark Kotsay. No Hall of famers, in fact a bunch of mediocre ball players. But they all hit left handed. And all weekend long they came off the bench and blasted our right handed pitching. The Reds can't do this and don't seem desirous of improving the situation.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Philly was such a perfect situation for him. He didn't have to be "the man" and he got to play in a great hitters park and get pitches to hit. Now, with the pressure of a new contract, and having to face great NL east pitching, he's struggled.
    Players always give themselves too much credit. And not enough credit to the hitters around them. Werth had a great lineup around him in Philly. Not so much now.

Turn Off Ads?