Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Just Eliminate the All Star Game Please

Worth The Wait

Let's Just Eliminate the All Star Game Please

Wow, what an absolutely joke this has become. The players want to be recognized as all-stars but no one wants to play in the game.

Just today, David Price pulled out of the game despite pitching Saturday. He was replaced by James Sheilds who is ineligible to play because he is pitching today. Shields was replaced by Sabbathia who is inigible because he is playing today. So someone will get the nod.

Scott Rolen probably isn't one of the top 10-12 3B in baseball, but he is an all-star.

Oh, and just like little league, every team gets at least one rep.

The rosters keep expanding to absurd levels, cheapening what it means to make the all star game in the first place. It's become like the Pro Bowl where no one wants to play buy everyone wants the free trip to Hawaii. It's become an embarrassment.

The all star roster should look much like a regular roster and the game should be played much like it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's...

They play 162 games... It is extremely doubtful than one extra game is going to do some sort of major damage.

And if the response is that you just can't take the chance, then let's do away with the game and make it a day or two of various exhibitions.

By the 6th inning of the game the diamond is full of average players that no one really cares about.

Yuck.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Let's Just Eliminate the All Star Game Please

I agree the roster expansion issue is ridiculous. You do not need 30 guys to play 9 innings. Give the best 3 SP in the league 3 IP each. Pitching problem sovled. Ask the starting position players to play the full game like they do every day. Problem solved.

But that's not what the game is really about. It's about a TV rating. And the more players you put on the team, the more incentive fans have to watch in hopes of seeing their favorite players. It's sad at this point. You have something like 12% of the league, 1 in every 8 players, on the rosters. It's stupid.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Worth The Wait

You know Rick, that might their reasoning, but I think it's based on a false premise. I don't think Royals fans are more likely to tune in because there might be a chance their average middle reliever might get to pitch an inning.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd be OK with eliminating it. It seems like ever since Bud made the game "count" for something, it matters less.

Continue to name players to the teams, so that players can get their bonuses, but play it as a video game simulation for the highest bidding video game company. (How many millions would a video game system company and publisher be willing to pay for the rights to be the official proxy to the MLB All Star game?)

Televise the simulation and give every player on every team the 3 days off.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

i haven't watched an All Star game in over a decade.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I love baseball tradition and history, but the AS game bores me to tears.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

It's a good 3-day period for me to get caught up with work. Before I was a lawyer and had a toddler at home, I used to go to the movies for 3 days straight. I'll DVR it in case there's a bench clearing brawl or if Bud Selig gets humiliated in some way (I loved 2002!), but otherwise it's not very compelling and about 60% of the players chosen are not among the top 30 players in either league.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Move it to after the World Series and fill out the rosters with the league leaders in stat categories.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

WOW! Thanks Ed for starting this thread. I can't tell you how silly MLB looks to me for putting on this farce.

Scott Rolen on the All-Star team!?! Who thought that up? His family at home will tune in for that but no one else will.

Making the 'little-star game' count to see who gets home field advantage in the WS!?! Bud has shot himself in the foot for about the 24th time. What a joke.

Players want to be named to the team so they get their bonuses but then they look for a way out. Not acceptable. If you don't play, you don't get the bonus---pretty simple in my estimation.

Come Tuesday I'll be watching reruns of Laverne & Shirley or something as equally inane but not as vapid as this farce.

Rem

I agree that the roster expansion has really dulled down the All Star game a bit but I still like it. Out of all the All Star games in the 4 major sports, the MLB All Star Game is the best. Giving players who don't play in the AS Game 3-4 days of rest in the middle of the marathon season is also a good idea, in my opinion.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    You know Rick, that might their reasoning, but I think it's based on a false premise. I don't think Royals fans are more likely to tune in because there might be a chance their average middle reliever might get to pitch an inning.
    I agree. I think they'd get better results with a real game between the real stars of the game.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Half-joke: have the game be a computer simulation where fans can vote on "key" managerial decisions online.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I've figured out how to fix the all-star game, and it will only cost an extra $26 million per year... which by the way is chump change for an event where advertisers pay more than $1 million per 60-seconds of ad time.

The solution: pay the 25-man roster and the manager of the winning team a $1 million bonus each; pay the losers nothing except a hotel bill, less incidentals, and for a flight home

Why it will work:
    There are two main reasons that the game is not compelling: 1. the players and managers aren't trying hard enough to win; 2. the best MLB players are, for the most part, not invited to the game.

My fix will correct both of these issues, and dramatically increase viewership. Even marginal sports fans will tune in if they believe that Coco Cordero can instantly lose $1 million by blowing a save and giving up a walk-off hit in the 9th. For the same reason, "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and "Deal or No Deal" earn viewers, this plan will do the same, and will more than make up for the additional funds spent on the prize money.

Here are the particulars:

1. The managers of each team will consist of the manager-of-the-year winner from the previous year - not the manager of the previous year's world series manager.

2. No fan voting and no league involvement whatsoever. The managers get to pick the rosters in their sole discretion. Think the managers will just stock the rosters with fan favorites or players that they're chummy with? I've got a million reasons why they would be fools to do so. I'd only put one limit on the manager's discretion, and it's below.

3. No more of the stupid one-player-per team quota. If the Oakland A's suck. No A's in the game this year.

4. If the manager of a team is working for a major league organization, he can pick no more than "x" players from that organization. [Off the cuff, I think four is a reasonable number].

5. The roster can be of any composition of players as the manager sees fit, except that they shall consist of at least 6 pitchers who were primarily starters that year and 3 pitchers who were primarily relievers that year. This gives a maximum of 16 position players, which is plenty.

6. The managers shall send out invites to be on the team at least 3 weeks prior to the game, and the players shall have 24 hours to accept (which I assume they will almost always do, unless they're seriously injured; no player is going to forgo an opportunity to earn $1 for one day's work in favor of sitting on the couch for 3 days).

7. Any starting pitchers who are selected to the all-star rosters must be deactivated by their MLB teams for the 2 games prior to the all-star weekend. This will assure that all starting pitchers have at least 3 days of rest and that relievers have at least one day of rest. This will also assure that the manager can start the pitcher whom he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. [To make up for this, the teams can activate another player to take his place for the final 2 days of games prior to the all-star game]

8. Once a player accepts a spot on the team, he can't be replaced. If a player gets injured prior to the game.... too bad. Your roster slips to 24, which is still plenty for one game.

Comments? I know. It's perfect. But for comparison, here's a less aggressive how-to-fix-the-all-star game column:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...ar_game_070411

I think he blows it with #2 though. First, it's not enough money. Second, in order to make the game compelling, we don't want to give a bonus to participants, but to the winners.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 07-10-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

83 players have been named all stars this years. For reference.

- 242 position players have 200+ PA.
    - 121 starters have pithed at least 80 IP
    - 177 relievers have pitched at least 20 IP

That's 540 "regulars" using my rough math. That means that more than 1 in every 7 every day major leaguers is an all-star this year. For ONE GAME, we have more than 3 full teams worth of players.

Guess what, Bud? If everybody is an all-star, nobody is a star. I don't know who this game is supposed to appeal to, but somebody needs to talk to MLB's marketing department, because when it comes to marketing their product, their stars, they stink.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If we end capitalism, the problem should be solved. Together, I think we can do it. Unite!

Turn Off Ads?