Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker

Re: Dusty Baker

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    FIRE DUSTY! This team needs someone like Billy Martin as the manager. Kick someones butt and take names later. He has this team Oma complete mess. The bullpen is a mess.
    Would you want to work for someone like that? Why do fans want people to manage a baseball team that you wouldn't want to work for in real life?

2. Turn Off Ads?

We need a manager that throws a tantrum after a tough loss. It helps the players hit and pitch better the next day. Right now we just have broadcasters that throw hissy fits, but Brennaman hissy fits are largely ineffective unless they are sleekly coordinated with a managerial tirade in the clubhouse.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 07-10-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    We need a manager that throws a tantrum after a tough loss. It helps the players hit and pitch better the next day. Right now we just have broadcasters that throw hissy fits, but Brennaman hissy fits are largely ineffective unless they are sleekly coordinated with a managerial tirade in the clubhouse.
    The loss isn't really on any of the players except one (Cordero, again).

Both of these tough losses, Friday and today, could have been big for morale if we had won. Friday we had that great play at the plate by Hanigan, and today great pitching by D-Train and Aroldis Chapman. Not only did we lose both games after going into the 9th with a lead, but we lost the potential bump in the standings, in morale, and in momentum the wins would have given us going into the break.

BTW, Reds are now 13-21 in one-run ballgames. Ouch.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 07-10-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I just get this feeling that Dusty knows he might be on his last year and he would rather lose with his vets....in his own designated ways.....then take a chance on someone else, as obvious as it is. I have nothing else to fall back on here.

My country in the Copa America is doing the same thing after a good run at the 2010 WC....stubbornly sticking to playing a couple of older players and playing one of the best strikers in the world...out of his best position.

I know way different sports but they all seem to have fallacies within their management approach.

I wish Dusty had a brain in that "gut" of his.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

From what i read of the post game....he still did not take any accountability nor it seems...was he even asked what he was thinking.

When you can be a Teflon Manager......why would you even bother to explain, rationalize or change your ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I wish Dusty had a brain in that "gut" of his.
    I always that was about another male body part
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quatitos View Post
    Wasn't a thread almost exactly like this closed yesterday?
    Change the thread title and it probably wouldn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Oh look, another knee-jerk thread!
    A whole season of sporadic play and under performers leads to discussion over possible problems. Today by some was a microcosm of the season's entirety.

The board can rail Janish/LF/SS/SP/Cordero/whoever, but Dusty Baker is beyond criticism? When did this memo come out? Part of his job is game strategy, but a bigger part is player management/motivation. At this point he is struggling at 3 of the 3.

One of my favorites of the past, although I think Baker has gotten better...

A leopard doesn't change his spots...

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    The board can rail Janish/LF/SS/SP/Cordero/whoever, but Dusty Baker is beyond criticism? When did this memo come out? Part of his job is game strategy, but a bigger part is player management/motivation. At this point he is struggling at 3 of the 3.
    I'm not sure what message board you've been reading, but Dusty gets his share of blame every single day. You can't go a single game thread without Dusty getting criticism.

And criticism and redundant criticism made in moments of overreaction are very different. Don't think you'll find anyone that believes Baker is above criticism.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not sure what message board you've been reading, but Dusty gets his share of blame every single day. You can't go a single game thread without Dusty getting criticism.

And criticism and redundant criticism made in moments of overreaction are very different. Don't think you'll find anyone that believes Baker is above criticism.
    Timing issue asside, this thread is necessary. A thread devoted to the pros/cons of Dusty has been missing since the afterglow of last year.

Personally, I think the manager makes little difference in the outcome of a season. There are probably hundreds of stats people can use to compare managers, but the majority will have some flaws. Comparing manager to manager is jedi vs pokemon (sample sizes with the same team, different teams, using strategies based on current roster, etc. etc.) *Sample size noted* Baker is toting a 13-21 record in one loss games. He might not need to be fired, but debate is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    From what i read of the post game....he still did not take any accountability nor it seems...was he even asked what he was thinking.

When you can be a Teflon Manager......why would you even bother to explain, rationalize or change your ways?
    This angers me.

I believe every member of RedsZone understands the game of baseball, every team is going to lose games but when you give games away in bunches it does get frustrating. Let' all just hope for a better second half of the season.

Turn Off Ads?