Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dusty Baker

Re: Dusty Baker

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    My biggest gripe (after going to Cordero), is not having someone warming up beside him after how he's pitched the last 2 days, and seeing how he didn't have it today. At least give yourself the option.
    This I can't disagree with.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Ondrusak only threw 7 pitches Friday and 14 pitches Saturday,

Bill Bray only threw 6 pitches Friday and 10 pitches Saturday, per Lance McAlister's blog.

The blame for today's loss should be laid at the feet of Dusty Baker.
    5 days in a row is a lot. Friday and Saturday were on top of Wednesday and Thursday.

Bill Bray, no matter what anyone claims, is a glorified loogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    From what i read of the post game....he still did not take any accountability nor it seems...was he even asked what he was thinking.

When you can be a Teflon Manager......why would you even bother to explain, rationalize or change your ways?
    That's deplorable that no one ask Baker about his reasoning for using Cordero yesterday. There were two questions that had to be asked:

Why did you use Cordero for a third straight day? and

Why did you leave him in the game in the 9th inning,especially after he walked a weak hitting Kotteras?

I don't care if Dusty goes off and curses you a blue streak you have to ask those questions. If he says no comment then so be it. You did your job. But it seems the reporters didn't. It's a shame there can't be at least one reporter who can ask the tough questions to a manager. The Reds fans deserve better than that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My biggest gripe (after going to Cordero), is not having someone warming up beside him after how he's pitched the last 2 days, and seeing how he didn't have it today. At least give yourself the option.
    Arroyo was actually warming up beside Cordero, at least for part of the time.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Arroyo was actually warming up beside Cordero, at least for part of the time.
    Nah.....he was getting his throwing in, not warming up. I mean Masset, or Bray. I'd have even strongly considered letting Chapman start the ninth (can't remember the PH situation), he was money in the 7th and 8th.

For the most part I have thought Dusty is a good manager. Sat night I was watching the game with a buddy of mine and he said "Do you still put Cordero in the game after they broke it open in the 10th?" My answer was yes. Even though it wasn't a save situation you get him back in there after the debacle that was the night before.

Yesterday was the first time I actually thought "would you fire Dusty?" This team hasn't played with the same sense of urgency this season. But putting Cordero in there yesterday was just wrong. They should have won 3 games against the Brewers this past weekend. You blow saves from time to time but what happened against Milwaukee was unacceptable. IMO the manager gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses, but a team with high expectations playing poor baseball is a reflection of its manager. If he wasn't signed to a multi year deal it would be prime time to make a coaching change.

Nah.....he was getting his throwing in, not warming up. I mean Masset, or Bray. I'd have even strongly considered letting Chapman start the ninth (can't remember the PH situation), he was money in the 7th and 8th.
    That makes sense. I thought maybe he was warming up for an out-of-the-box relief appearance, with the All-Star break coming up. Or most likely, I just wanted to believe that Cordero wasn't really going out there again, after what we saw the previous two nights.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea. But do you guys really think it is Dusty, or is it lack of performance?
    To be fair, this is correct. The lack of performance from too many key players has put the team where they are today. However, I think what is upsetting a lot of posters is Baker tends to make too many decisions out of loyalty instead of putting the best player in a particular spot to succeed. Yeah, Coco is the "closer", but it was clear he didn't have it and hadn't been right the last couple of games, so why not at least have another option ready to go when the ninth started.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    To be fair, this is correct. The lack of performance from too many key players has put the team where they are today. However, I think what is upsetting a lot of posters is Baker tends to make too many decisions out of loyalty instead of putting the best player in a particular spot to succeed. Yeah, Coco is the "closer", but it was clear he didn't have it and hadn't been right the last couple of games, so why not at least have another option ready to go when the ninth started.
    I just don't see why telling Cordero "you've thrown a lot this week, I know you're the closer, but you've been overworked, let's let X handle this one" would have been so difficult for Baker or Francisco to handle?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's deplorable that no one ask Baker about his reasoning for using Cordero yesterday. There were two questions that had to be asked:

Why did you use Cordero for a third straight day? and

Why did you leave him in the game in the 9th inning,especially after he walked a weak hitting Kotteras?

I don't care if Dusty goes off and curses you a blue streak you have to ask those questions. If he says no comment then so be it. You did your job. But it seems the reporters didn't. It's a shame there can't be at least one reporter who can ask the tough questions to a manager. The Reds fans deserve better than that.
    You can bet that question would be asked in NYC, Philly, Boston, etc. Our writers/reporters don't generally rock the boat like that for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    You can bet that question would be asked in NYC, Philly, Boston, etc. Our writers/reporters don't generally rock the boat like that for some reason.
    And if they do, Dusty flips his lid. He really seems to me to be very thin skinned about such things. And least more thin skinned then the manager of a major league team should be.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    And if they do, Dusty flips his lid. He really seems to me to be very thin skinned about such things. And least more thin skinned then the manager of a major league team should be.
    And if he flips his lid so be it. That's two questions that have to be asked. I'm sure he would have given it his standard line that Cordero's his man and that's that. At least if he did flip his lid that would liven things up a bit. Maybe it would give the Reds that chip on the shoulder they may need. Who knows??
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It is never that simple.

Devil's Advocate: How much blame does Bruce get for getting thrown at at third?
    I see what you're saying but plays involving hustle are a bit different than that of a pitcher...a closing one at that. The ball could be mis-played, the throw could be off, the fielder could not apply the tag...a lot could go "wrong" for Bruce to be safe.

When your closer fails at his ONLY job (throw strikes and get people out), it's very easy to point blame. Cordero has 17 saves this year, but he now has the 2nd worst Save Percentage in the NL (among regular closers) at 77%. Kimbrel with the Braves has just as many blown saves (5) but he's also has 11 more Saves than Cordero.

Basically, if Coco will negate a win 25% of the time he takes the mound, I'd have a hard time putting him out there if I were a manager.

I am pretty pro Dusty and this I cannot disagree with at all. I am actually completely and utterly confused. I happened to miss the 8th inning and did not even realize Chapman went the 7th and 8th, I assumed Masset tossed the 8th, which made me even more irate.

I take that back, I wasn't even irate because I was so absolutely dumbfounded. I have never been so happy to see the all-star break here.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?