Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

  1. #1
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,105

    well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    but man is Dontrelle fun to watch or what? All of our expectations have changed over the last couple of years(and for good reason)but aside from the fact that I feel like I wasted alot of hours the last 7 days watching our Reds I still couldn't help but smile watching the D train today. He reminds me of those guys playing ball on that movie "Life" with Eddie Murphy because of his motions and overall "looseness" if you will. Can't wait to watch him again...especially at the plate.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,627

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    but man is Dontrelle fun to watch or what? All of our expectations have changed over the last couple of years(and for good reason)but aside from the fact that I feel like I wasted alot of hours the last 7 days watching our Reds I still couldn't help but smile watching the D train today. He reminds me of those guys playing ball on that movie "Life" with Eddie Murphy because of his motions and overall "looseness" if you will. Can't wait to watch him again...especially at the plate.
    Yeah Dontrelle looked like the D-Train of yesteryear. Definitely a good sign for the Reds. Jay Bruce is hitting the ball hard again. Aroldis Chapman looks like he has his mojo back. Zack Cozart looks like a huge improvement over Janish. The team is actually playing pretty solid baseball right now despite the tough losses. The baserunning mistakes and Cordero are the biggest problems right now.

    The Reds largely played good baseball during the Brewers series. It is very tough to beat the Brewers in Milwaukee. The Brewers are 33-14 at home, so the fact the Reds nearly won every game is actually a good sign. The losses were tough but losing a 1 run game to a good team is better than getting blown out. These 9th-inning losses are tough to take, but people shouldn't overreact and say the Reds are terrible.

  4. #3
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    I wasn't for the Cozart thing because despite Janish' anemic bat and occasional routine error I still believe in his defense BUT during this small sample size I've been really impressed with Cozart in the field and will gladly continue to eat crow.

    btw in a related note I still remain in the Jonny camp though I will admit that the LF position would be the easiest spot to try to help this offense. Haven't heard alot of Carlos Lee talk but I'm wondering if he wouldn't be a good fit. I can't imagine that the 'stros would care one way or another about trading within the division.

  5. #4
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    2,919

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    I just want to say before I type out my response to this thread, that I really appreciate this thread. We need to have more "on the bright side" threads on the ORG, IMO.

    I echo your thoughts, GA Dawg. I thought Willis was great to watch today, especially in innings 3-6. I am now to the point with the Reds where I think we have a chance every day.

    AtomicDumpling, I also echo your thoughts on Chapman and Cozart. Both of those guys have been better than expected for the last week.

  6. #5
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,804

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The Reds largely played good baseball during the Brewers series. It is very tough to beat the Brewers in Milwaukee. The Brewers are 33-14 at home, so the fact the Reds nearly won every game is actually a good sign. The losses were tough but losing a 1 run game to a good team is better than getting blown out. These 9th-inning losses are tough to take, but people shouldn't overreact and say the Reds are terrible.
    Good post. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm optimistic about the second half, but I'm not as pessimistic as I would be if the Reds were routinely getting their tails kicked. The line in baseball between "good" and "not quite good enough" can be very thin.
    Not all who wander are lost

  7. #6
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,027

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Did Willis look great? Did he look like the Willis of yesteryear?

    Willis looked good but I would hesitate to say he looked like the Willis of yesteryear. His velocity was hanging around the 88-89 mark on his fastball and he didn't look overpowering. He definitely pitched well enough to get another start but Im not ready to jump on the Dontrell is back bandwagon.

  8. #7
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Did Willis look great? Did he look like the Willis of yesteryear?

    Willis looked good but I would hesitate to say he looked like the Willis of yesteryear. His velocity was hanging around the 88-89 mark on his fastball and he didn't look overpowering. He definitely pitched well enough to get another start but Im not ready to jump on the Dontrell is back bandwagon.
    nope at this point he isn't the Dontrelle we all remember in Florida...from a velocity standpoint anyway...but he was the personality we remember and the point is he was fun to watch on the mound, at the plate, and in the dugout. When the Reds lose I feel like a loser too for some weird reason and I carry it around with me for some even weirder reason but it's really all about entertainment and today despite the loss I was pretty entertained.

  9. #8
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,329

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Come on, who didn't smile and laugh when Dontrelle flexed on second base after scorching a rocket down the RF line for a double?

    Two of my roommates, a Cubs and Tigers fan, watched the game while I wasn't even home, only because of D-Train. Both are huge fans, just because of his personality. That speaks huge, especially considering the huge bust he was in Detroit, and the Tigers fan still loves him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  10. #9
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,694

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just want to say before I type out my response to this thread, that I really appreciate this thread. We need to have more "on the bright side" threads on the ORG, IMO.

    I echo your thoughts, GA Dawg. I thought Willis was great to watch today, especially in innings 3-6. I am now to the point with the Reds where I think we have a chance every day.

    AtomicDumpling, I also echo your thoughts on Chapman and Cozart. Both of those guys have been better than expected for the last week.
    Abso-friggin-loutly. Most of this year, RZ has been painful to read & follow. Negativity abounds. Any chance to read something even remotely positive is greatly appreciated.

    In regards to Dontrelle, it just looked to me like he was simply very happy to be back in the bigs. He seemed overly hyped in the early innings, but settled in to just enjoy the experience from then on out. I'd take him over Volquez in a heartbeat.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  11. #10
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,027

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    nope at this point he isn't the Dontrelle we all remember in Florida...from a velocity standpoint anyway...but he was the personality we remember and the point is he was fun to watch on the mound, at the plate, and in the dugout. When the Reds lose I feel like a loser too for some weird reason and I carry it around with me for some even weirder reason but it's really all about entertainment and today despite the loss I was pretty entertained.
    He sure was fun to watch and fun to root for. It was ironic that Chris Welch said he was inconsistent when he was landing on his heel, when he landed on the ball of his feet he was much more controlled. It was a hopeful performance.

  12. #11
    Member crazybob60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    968

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    I can't wait to watch him in the second half and hopefully he will get a fair shake to give it another go in the bigs. We need him up here and we need his boost of enthusiasm and personality in the clubhouse. I was a little worried after that double when he grabbed the back of his leg, but I guess that that is ok. I hope he will get a few more starts, has there been any mention from Dusty or anyone as to if they will include him in their second half rotation?

  13. #12
    GO XAVIER! toledodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    overland park, kansas
    Posts
    1,800

    Re: well, today wasn't what I had hoped for....

    unless d-train gets shelled over his next few starts, keep him in the rotation. he had some nerves in the first but was very good after. i like the energy he brought with him.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.


    Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25