Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Running out of the box

Running out of the box

Obviously, Coco's third straight blown save, and Dusty's decision to stick with him, are the main talking points of this latest loss. But I believe there was another unfortunate play that may have contributed just as much.

Did you notice, when Bruce hit the ball off the right-field wall leading off the third, that he stood in the box and watched for a while? And then took off in kind of a brisk jog? He stayed in the jog well past first base, then kicked it in only when Hart missed the ball and it bounced toward the right-field line. Carlos Gomez, however, was hustling all the way, ran down the ball and made a nice throw to Weeks, who gunned out Bruce at third. One team played the game right, the other didn't, and we saw the results.

It seems to me that the Reds are too often guilty of that sort of thing. I generally love the way Bruce plays the game, but this time he screwed up. I also love the way Votto plays the game, but multiple times I've noticed him not running out of the box while he watches to see if the ball will land fair. That's simply not right. And they're getting away with it. And losing one-run games.

Chris Welsh pointed out that some of the Reds were watching Derek Jeter clips before the game, and the thing that stood out was the fact that Jeter never failed to sprint out of the box, or to keep sprinting until the ball landed in the seats. Obviously, the Reds didn't get the message.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Running out of the box

Big play. If it had been Phillips, there likely would have been an outcry. Pretty much swept under the rug, though, it being Bruce. Cost the team a run in a 1-run game.

i have to agree...that kind of thing runs rampant throughout the game. Long gone are the days of Pete Rose busting his butt to get to first following a walk. Also agree on Votto...it's almost as if he doesn't pick the ball up at first but as you point out should be running just the same.

I've never understood what a guy has to lose by running out every play...that kind of thing should be taught organizationally and there should be some form of consequences.

On a semi-related note...I love Brandon Phillips and it's been well documented that he is guilty of the above on a few occasions but aside from that does it seem like for a fast runner that he's one of the slowest guys out of the box? Maybe it's his balance following a swing or something related.

Yeah it has been a team-wide problem. Bruce was guilty today but he is usually pretty good about hustling out of the box. Votto stands and watches nearly every ball he hits before taking off. Phillips does it too. Gomes too. I think it is a problem that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff.

make them all run laps until they puke! No easy chairs for anyone in the clubhouse! Beatings for everyone!

I don't expect a Charlie Hustle out of the box, but when you hit it, just run. Every time. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post

On a semi-related note...I love Brandon Phillips and it's been well documented that he is guilty of the above on a few occasions but aside from that does it seem like for a fast runner that he's one of the slowest guys out of the box? Maybe it's his balance following a swing or something related.
    I've thought the same thing for quite a while. Many times, he'll hit an easy grounder that you think he might beat out, and he's out by three steps. I believe it might be part of the reason that he hits into so many double plays. That said, it seems to me that lately--just the past few weeks--he's been getting down the line much faster.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    make them all run laps until they puke! No easy chairs for anyone in the clubhouse! Beatings for everyone!
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Agreed. Nobody really commented on it at the time (other than to say Jeter runs hard), but Bruce would have been there easy if he busted it out of the box. You know out of the box that you at least have a double. If it clears the wall you can jog home. If it doesn't, don't want to be as far along as possible?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Big play. If it had been Phillips, there likely would have been an outcry. Pretty much swept under the rug, though, it being Bruce. Cost the team a run in a 1-run game.
    The game thread says you're wrong. Lots of bellyaching about it over there. So much if/dog/rabbit to me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

So you're NOT in favor of players hustling out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    So you're NOT in favor of players hustling out of the box?
    People have been complaining about hustling out of the box since 1863

People have been complaining about hustling out of the box since 1863
    I agree with that... just saying, it wouldn't have to go so far as beatings to get them to bear down a little more out of the box.

Turn Off Ads?