Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Reds don't trade Ramon, they're asleep at the wheel

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If the Reds don't trade Ramon, they're asleep at the wheel

There are several contenders around baseball that could use a good catcher. (Giants, anyone?) The Reds need to trade Ramon Hernandez while his value is at an all-time high.

There are several other reasons why it's a good time to trade Ramon (as much as I like him) as well:

* The Reds likely aren't going anywhere this year.

* The Reds have the best minor-league catcher in baseball (sorry, Jesus Montero, but it's true) waiting in the wings at Louisville.

* If the Reds do work their way back into the race this year, the tandem of a veteran like Hanigan and a talented rook like Mesoraco would be just fine.

* If there is an injury to one of them, you still have a veteran like Corky Miller you can call up as the backup. And if all else fails, perhaps even Yasmani Grandal could fill in for a couple games as a backup in an emergency situation.

Basically, there is absolutely no reason to not trade Ramon right now. If the Reds fail to do this, I will start to lose confidence in a front office that I genuinely like.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds don't trade Ramon, they're asleep at the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    There are several contenders around baseball that could use a good catcher. (Giants, anyone?) The Reds need to trade Ramon Hernandez while his value is at an all-time high.

There are several other reasons why it's a good time to trade Ramon (as much as I like him) as well:

* The Reds likely aren't going anywhere this year.

* The Reds have the best minor-league catcher in baseball (sorry, Jesus Montero, but it's true) waiting in the wings at Louisville.

* If the Reds do work their way back into the race this year, the tandem of a veteran like Hanigan and a talented rook like Mesoraco would be just fine.

* If there is an injury to one of them, you still have a veteran like Corky Miller you can call up as the backup. And if all else fails, perhaps even Yasmani Grandal could fill in for a couple games as a backup in an emergency situation.

Basically, there is absolutely no reason to not trade Ramon right now. If the Reds fail to do this, I will start to lose confidence in a front office that I genuinely like.
    I don't think its that cut and dry. Catcher is the one position that is an incredible jump due to learning new hitters and pitchers. Its not like Mesoraco would be stepping in at SS where it just be about positioning. I do feel there is a difference between Ramon and Hanigan behind the plate and there would be a difference between them and Mes calling games. What have the scouts said about his gamecalling and handling of pitchers at AAA?

Plus Ramon with the year he's had I cannot believe would accept arby at this point and could bring something back as almost everyone always needs a catcher with the offensive potential of Hernandez. If you get good value for him thats one thing but to just trade him for the sake of trading him could be a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

I like Ramon but I agree. If we can get something we need to look. He will be a Free Agent again at the end of the year. Corky is a great back up if needed and he knows how to handle a staff. I thought he did a tremendous job last year. But now is the time to give the KID a chance and also allow him some time to get his feet wet. That way he can take over as the everyday catcher next year.

The question is what can you get for Ramon? Are we looking for AA prospects or some help with the Big Club?
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    I like Ramon but I agree. If we can get something we need to look. He will be a Free Agent again at the end of the year. Corky is a great back up if needed and he knows how to handle a staff. I thought he did a tremendous job last year. But now is the time to give the KID a chance and also allow him some time to get his feet wet. That way he can take over as the everyday catcher next year.

The question is what can you get for Ramon? Are we looking for AA prospects or some help with the Big Club?
    Good question. And I am sure the answer is "it depends." The Nationals flipped Matt Capps for their eventual starting big league catcher last year, which was a good return. If a team is close enough and really need a catcher, then they might be apt to part with a fairly valuable minor league player for Razor.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

It all depends, I guess.

Ramon is valuable to the Reds, and the Reds are still only 4 games out.
    Just about everything that could go wrong in the first half has gone wrong (Other than Cueto).

My confidence for making the postseason is getting diminished, just like everyone else's.. but why trade Ramon to the Giants unless they really make it worth our while? I guess if Ramon is traded, we are going to be targeting help for the future.. I'd want someone that is either contributing in the big leagues now (not likely to happen), or someone projected to be useful ..
    I'm not sure Ramon is worth that much. At his age, he really can't play every day and maintain this level of production.

I'm sure there's plenty of clubs willing to give us a Danny Dorn for him, but that's kind of pointless from the Reds point of view.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Wouldn't mind seeing Ramon + prospect for someone who can play some IF and Outfield at the major league level and be a dependable bat.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If the return is solid, then, yes, Ramon should be dealt this summer while his value is at its peak. Better than having him walk away without any kind of payback. A deal involving AA starting pitcher Eric Surkamp from the Giants would certainly work for me, giving us another potential horse for the rotation come 2012 or 2013.

In this scenario, Mesoraco would have to undertake a mid-season crash course to learn the Reds' pitching staff and the opposing batters. Undeniably, it would be a challenge for the kid, and there could be some stumbles along the way.

But the flip side, Mesoraco:

1. Is going to need to complete that crash course sooner or later anyway, so better to do it during a botched season than to have 2012 be marred by the same kinds of miscues and bad luck as 2011.

2. He does have some familiarity with the pitchers from spring training.

3. Hernandez's game calling isn't always the best, so Mesoraco doesn't have to be great from the start -- just good enough in that sphere.

4. Game calling can always be orchestrated by the coaches and from the bench if that's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    If the return is solid, then, yes, Ramon should be dealt this summer while his value is at its peak.
    This is the key. We can't definitively say "trade Ramon" unless we know what the return is. History shows that these types of deals usualy yields players like Matt Belisle and Micah Owings. If that's the case, I think we're best served by hanging onto him

I give a jaundiced eye to any "let's trade..." thread on RZ that doesn't mention a certain player in return. Unless we have an idea of that, how can we judge?

The Reds are 4 out. Last year, half the division winners were 3.5 games or more out on this date.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Depends on the return.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yep. That's the hard part about trades -- we can't go to the Hypothetical Trade Value Store and cash him in like a winning scratch-off ticket. The 29 other GMs are the only ones whose opinions matter, so unless there's one specific GM who wants and needs him badly enough to part with real value, no trade will happen.

It's easy enough to construct the scenario where a team like the Giants should want and need Hernandez, but maybe they don't see him quite as favorably as we do, or they think they can land a decent catcher elsewhere for less, or they won't part with the only players the Reds would accept in return. Who knows.
    Not all who wander are lost

The appropriate timetable for Mesoraco has to be, IMO, a priority. If he needs the rest of the season hitting AAA pitching and learning more about how to catch, then he should stay there. The kid's too big a potential talent to fool around with. That doesn't mean we shouldn't trade Ramon. But if we do, I wouldn't count Mesoraco immediately into the mix. Play Hanigan 6 out of 7 till Sept. 1, then bring Mes.

Ramon has been getting big hits all year and seems to be doing a great job with the pitchers. So I say we hang onto him and trade Hanigan. Let Ramon and Mes split time for the rest of the year with Ramon tutoring the rookie and helping him work with the pitchers. If Mes struggles and we are making a run in the playoffs then you play ramon more if we start to fall out of it then you play mes more. Hanigan is a nice piece but to me it looks like hes the one we need the least right now.

So, we're sellers now?
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Ramon + prospect for someone who can play some IF and Outfield at the major league level and be a dependable bat.
    Sounds like Todd Frazier.

Turn Off Ads?