Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekend in Chicago. What to do?

Re: Weekend in Chicago. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    So you've never had the chocolate cake shake.
    I have but then I found out they put mayo in it and it was ruined forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post

hopefully, there will be parking on campus or the street if you drive to the university of chicago.
    The campus tour/interview is Friday. We plan to drive in REALLY early (like 6 am or so) and park in one of the university-suggested garages. School's out for the summer, so I have to guess we can pull that off. That will take us most of the day.

As for the weekend. I think we'll train in on Saturday and do as much as we can by foot and stay until the fireworks.

Question: Is it safe to walk around downtown at night?

Sunday. We'll have to drive in, park and finish off whatever we couldn't get done on Saturday and then start off down to St. Louis (another campus tour).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The campus tour/interview is Friday. We plan to drive in REALLY early (like 6 am or so) and park in one of the university-suggested garages. School's out for the summer, so I have to guess we can pull that off. That will take us most of the day.

As for the weekend. I think we'll train in on Saturday and do as much as we can by foot and stay until the fireworks.

Question: Is it safe to walk around downtown at night?

Sunday. We'll have to drive in, park and finish off whatever we couldn't get done on Saturday and then start off down to St. Louis (another campus tour).
    I went to U of C, and parking can be a nightmare, even for someone who knew where they were going. But you should be OK getting in that early on a Friday. It's a beautiful campus. You can also walk to the Lake, and a place called Promontory Point (which is near the Museum of Science and Industry). If you have time, it's a beautiful view. That museum is also OK -- probably more interesting for kids, but there is a WWII sub there that's pretty cool.

As for walking around at night, it is a big city, so you do have to use some common sense. Downtown is actually pretty empty late at night - the "action" is really north and west of the city and in about 25 other neighborhoods. If you are near where the fireworks are, though, I think you'll be OK, as there will be crowds.

Also: definitely take the train on Saturday. Driving in and out the suburbs is a nightmare at any time, but especially on a nice, summer weekend, which hopefully for you it will be.
    Last edited by top6; 07-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have but then I found out they put mayo in it and it was ruined forever.
    Well thanks for returning the favor.

I'm by no means a Chicago expert, but if its Chicago, and its the summer, there's a festival somewhere in the city worth checking out, garunteed.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    As for getting around. I have a car and we will be staying in the Suburbs (Elmhust/Oakland) and driving in as needed (or not).
    Was thinking of driving in, parking for the day and just getting around somehow.
    Is that a good idea? or should we...
    Take a train in? Get around by bus? The hop-on hop off trolley? Walk?
    The city is very walkable for the most part and you can get unlimited CTA (L train & busses) passes for less than the cost of parking.

That said, depending on when you arrive/leave, you can actually find reasonable day rates in the loop on the weekend, particularly on the west side of the loop that's mostly businesses. Check here: http://chicago.bestparking.com/. You could also take the metra (commuter rail) in from Elmhurst. It's fast & reliable. http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/m....ELMHURST.html

If you want to leave downtown at all and check out the neighborhoods, the CTA is the way to go. Otherwise parking can be a best, especially on the north-side.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?