Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zach Cozart was...impressive

Zach Cozart was...impressive

I was really impressed with Cozart this weekend. He had a hit in each game and played some pretty good short. I think we can all say that we expected him to be better then Janteria but this is a blessing right now. He will probably go on a cold streak and everyone will call for his head but the kid deserves some thanks!
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zach Cozart was...impressive

Agreed! I look forward to watching him develop as a major leaguer.

The thing that makes me feel good is that he's just as good with the glove as anybody we had, plus his swing has bad enough intentions that he's gonna put some pace on some balls.

Yanish's batting average didn't even accurately reflect how pathetic he was in that he didn't have enough bat speed to even create good outs. He literally couldn't lift a fly ball deep enough to right field to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd.

Yanish has a genetic problem with his forearms. They are pencil thin. he literally has no whip through the zone. he could play on a b league slow pitch softball team and not have the power to consistently go yard.

Yanish, sadly for his career, just didn't have the ability to hit as a regualr at the major league level. Not enough ingredients to even give himself a chance to be successful.

Cosart will look like Ernie Banks compared to yanish.

Lets play 2!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cozart may crash and burn, but defensively, he's already shown me he's as good as Janteria. And the limited amount of at-bats, still showed me he looks like a major league hitter. We shall see though.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

And it took em 2 months to realize this.And we wonder why this team is where it's at.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Cozart has been the only breath of fresh air the past couple of weeks. I think we've found a really good shortstop.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I think Cozart can be a solid hitting shortstop for a long time and we already know he can field well. I like this kid

Solid for sure...not sure I am ready to annoint him the heir apparent though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    And it took em 2 months to realize this.And we wonder why this team is where it's at.
    Bingo!

Definitely nice to see Cozart up this weekend. I loved the play he made on Hart ranging into the hole in the 3rd inning on Thursday night. Saved a run on a nice throw. I really wish Janish would have worked out. I love watching him play SS, but the hitting was just brutal. I can't figure out what happened to him. He was never a great hitter, but the last 2 years he at least had gap power, and last year he even showed some HR power. Based on last season, I was expecting 10 HRs this year. I'm not sure he would have hit 10 to the track...

I loved what I saw from Cozart this weekend as well, but I am a bit worried that he's been playing over his head so far this year. His .310/.357/.467 slash line at triple A this season looks great, especially compared to his .255/.310/.416 line last year.

Unfortunately, however, his ISO has actually decreased a tick from last year to this year, and he's walking at the exact same rate. His elevated slugging and OBP, then, aren't signs of more power or better plate discipline; instead, they're propped up by a higher AVG. Now, that could mean he's hitting more line drives or making better contact in general, but it might also mean he's just had some good breaks with more ground balls sneaking through the infield, etc. I'd be interested to know if anyone on the board has had a chance to watch Cozart in the minors the last season or so, and might be able to shed some light on whether he's changed his approach or looked better at the plate or anything this year.

Some guys take a little while to figure "it" out. Cozart might just be a late bloomer so to speak. Not on the grand scale of a Jose Bautista, but could turn out to be a solid major league ball player. The shortstop postition has been abysmal for this club. If Cozart is league average it is leaps and bounds better than what we have experienced thus far in 2011. If we could only get that Mesoraco kid up here somehow...

If my spelling sucks, my bad.

Do you think with Cozart possibly emerging into a full time big leaguer, that we have seen the last of Janish? Or, maybe the Reds will keep Janish as a full time back up from this point on... if they decide to bring him back up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegsFan View Post
    Do you think with Cozart possibly emerging into a full time big leaguer, that we have seen the last of Janish? Or, maybe the Reds will keep Janish as a full time back up from this point on... if they decide to bring him back up at some point.
    I would hope that at some point Cozart starts full time, and Janish is the glove off the bench so to speak. This would also be the more cost friendly c.o.a. moving forward.

There are other moves I'd like to see with minor leaguers... but, can't really fault the way Cozart's been handled or when he was brought up. The timing seems perfect for me. He seemed to adjust to each level slowly, Every year he was promoted he'd drop in in OPS, but both times he got a second year at a level he'd show a significant gain. I think maybe a few weeks late, but not months.

Turn Off Ads?