Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone here been to Citi field in NYC?

Anyone here been to Citi field in NYC?

I am going to a game in early August. Went to the ole Shea twice, but this will be first visit to the new place and just wondered if anyone here had been and what they thought and what I should check out...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Anyone here been to Citi field in NYC?

It's pretty cool, I think. Mets fans seem to hate it for some reason, but I think it's more of a reaction to the lack of great baseball they have had there.

The food is good, and it is open enough to walk around the park and still see the action of the game.

I went last year for Reds vs. Mets. It's a great looking park. There are a few more obstructed views than you would expect out of a new park, and there isn't anything going on around the stadium. At least, there wasn't last year, so who knows if that's changed or not. All I know is that the junkyard outside the stadium is quite a "sight," to say the least.

The fans that they still draw seem very into the action. It's a good, passionate crowd. Not many Reds fans there, from my observation.

Take the subway. Don't drive there. Mistake I made

I've been to CitiField a bunch of times. It is definitely a big upgrade from Shea. There aren't too many bad seats in the place and if you do have one you can just watch the game from the bridge in right field. People say the Shake Shack is very good for burgers and stuff like that. However, there is a very long line. What I liked about CitiField is while you are waiting for food in the Center Field area there is a HUGE TV so that you don't miss any of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    The fans that they still draw seem very into the action. It's a good, passionate crowd.
    I had the great fortune to live in NYC a couple of years ago. It was before Citifield was built so all my 25 games or so were at Shea. That said I was enamored by the enthusiasm and passion Met's fans displayed. In typical New York fashion the language and other sundry stuff can at times get colorful but I consider Shea (despite the fact it was very ugly, dirty, noisy and had obstructed views) a true baseball purist experience. Knowledgeable baseball folks who live and die by the Mets.

When I think of fan bases that are known for being loyal the Met's fan base makes Chicago and St. Louis fans look wimpy and don't even get me started on the Reds fan base

Every stadium has its pros and cons. Check them all out and see for yourself! I agree, had the Mets been playing better ball since 2009, they would act more pleasant towards Citi Field. Mets knew they had to construct a new stadium if the Yankees were getting a new one.

Turn Off Ads?