Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Were you around for the BRM era?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I wasn't born yet, old enough, or wasn't a Reds fan at the time

40 36.36%
  • Yes, but I was too young to appreciate it

20 18.18%
  • Yes, fond memories...

50 45.45%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Were you around for the Big Red Machine?

Were you around for the Big Red Machine?

Simple question -- I'm curious how things balance out these days. Were you alive & a Reds fan during the BRM era?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-11-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Were you around for the Big Red Machine days?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Simple question -- I'm curious how things balance out these days. Were you a Reds fan during the BRM era?
    Yep. 75 & 76 were my Junior and Senior years of High School. 69-76 was an amazing time to be a Reds fan.

Re: Were you around for the Big Red Machine?

what corkedbat said

I was 20 and 21 for the two back to back years. I won a case of Carling Black Label from a Yankee fan who worked in the Baltimore terminal of the trucking company I worked for in 1976. Hey, Mabel...
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I was not born. In fact, my parents were still in high school and had not met yet.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Were you around for the Big Red Machine days?

69-76 was an amazing time to be a Reds fan. They could be down 6 runs or more in the fifth inning and you still felt like it was just a matter of time until they came. Often as not they did. Mainly because it often didn't occur to them they might lose. An extremely confident bunch (understatement). I count my self blessed to have witnessed it.

They went on one stretch here they were like 59-6 (can't remember the exact numbers) that was as amazing as anything I've witnessed in sports. Truly a Machine.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I was not born. In fact, my parents were still in high school and had not met yet.
    Damn, I'm old!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Damn, I'm old!
    It's OK. I'm realizing very quickly that it's a realization that comes on all of us sooner rather than later lol
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I was born during Game 2 (literally during the game) of the 1975 NLCS.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Shoot, I remember the '61 Reds...

The Machine was amazing to watch...what I remember is they seemed like they ALWAYS got the runner from first to third, they ALWAYS took the extra base, and they ALWAYS beat up on bad starting pitching. Maybe memory is selective, but I never remember some kid coming up from AAA and baffling them; that's a phenomenon that more recent editions of the Reds have introduced me to.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Yep, I was 8 in 1969, and first became aware in a real way, and was 19 in 1980, when they won the last divisional title with John Mac at the helm.

It was the best of times, the best time EVER to be a Reds fan, and for many years afterward, I was spoiled and expected far too much of my Redlegs.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    The Machine was amazing to watch...what I remember is they seemed like they ALWAYS got the runner from first to third, they ALWAYS took the extra base, and they ALWAYS beat up on bad starting pitching. Maybe memory is selective, but I never remember some kid coming up from AAA and baffling them; that's a phenomenon that more recent editions of the Reds have introduced me to.
    I agree- they were the consummate professional ballplayers. They prepared to win, and they expected to win. And after they got over the hump in 1975, their confidence levels were sky high.

Randy Jones had their number though, without looking, IIRC.

I leaned back in my chair here and thought back to those days...

For the '70 WS, I was a snot-nosed freshman at Ohio U. Watched it on the Sargent Hall TV in the lobby. In those days, the dorms had one (1) TV set for the whole dorm that we watched (Star Trek was big and the first Monday Night Football game was then and Homer Jones went nuts). That was the series that Brooks Robinson put on a show. Since the Reds being in the WS was a new thing, I was just glad they made it.

In 1972, I had transferred up to Ohio State for my junior year and living in an apartment at 9th and Indianola. Watched Gene Tenace and Joe Rudi blow up the Reds. I was p-o'ed because I swore the Reds were better and expected them to win.

1975, I was a college graduate, recently married to future ex-Mrs. Tucker, and trying to get used to the world outside of college. Game 6 forever sticks in my mind. We were at some friends' apartment, ate a lot of Mexican, and drank a boatload of tequila. Our hostess was puking when Carbo hit his homer. That really was an epic series.

In 1976, the future ex-Mrs. Tucker was well on her way to earning the ex- title and I got drunk a lot. The Reds blew through the season, blew through the Phillies in the NLCS, blew through the Yankees in the WS, and I thought the BRM would go on forever (just like my marriage). Little did I realize that both of them were already over.

One comment I'll make is that with 20-20 hindsight, the BRM was a juggernaut. But living through those times, it all wasn't as certain as it looks now. There were a lot of ups and downs and thrill of victories and blah blah. RZ would have had a field day then.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Mine too -- they met senior year of high school in 1975.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?