Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Midseason Top 20 Prospects

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Your Midseason Top 20 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Also, some people are not giving Box enough credit. Him being out of the top 10 is pretty bad.
    I am a huge Boxberger fan. Probably have more faith in him than just about anyone on here. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 right now. Just outside of it. The reasoning is simple.... He is a relief pitcher and their values just don't match that of even an average every day player or average every 5th day starter. In my opinion, even the best relief pitchers in minor league baseball aren't Top 100 prospects. If Aroldis Chapman were a relief pitcher for sure going into this year, regardless of the fact that he can throw a baseball harder than anyone alive, I wouldn't have put him in the Top 100 in all of baseball. Relievers just don't carry the same value to me as potential every day guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not going to do a whole list, but I agree with those who have listed Mesoraco and Grandal as the top two prospects. I'd probably put Cozart third.

The ability to play a premium position and be a two-way player is so important. So catchers, shortstops, true centerfielders, who can hit and field are key. Along with pitching of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Please review Juan Francisco's major league trials over three seasons and let us know how he has possibly stagnated into a AAAA power hitter, having just turned 24 years of age.

Thank you.
    I didn't mean that to be as harsh as I sounded, but I was referring to his more recent appearances (his 2009 work was admittedly impressive). He looked lost at the plate this season in the few at-bats he had, and his AAA numbers are close to identical to last year (though with an even lower walk rate). Like I said, there's not a whole lot of separation between Cozart and Francisco for me, but Francisco doesn't seem to be making the same forward strides that other AAA players have, so unfortunately he ends up at the bottom for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I didn't mean that to be as harsh as I sounded, but I was referring to his more recent appearances (his 2009 work was admittedly impressive). He looked lost at the plate this season in the few at-bats he had, and his AAA numbers are close to identical to last year (though with an even lower walk rate). Like I said, there's not a whole lot of separation between Cozart and Francisco for me, but Francisco doesn't seem to be making the same forward strides that other AAA players have, so unfortunately he ends up at the bottom for me.
    Francisco had a slow start this year and got hurt. I thought he looked excellent in his last game with the Reds, in which he got a key hit and later was hurt. He had very few opportunities this year at the major league level. In the minors, he did fine until his recent injury. I know, he still doesn't walk much at the minor league levels.

I know that his star is dimmer now, particularly with all the injuries, but I have confidence that he can be a good major league hitter, at least against righty pitching.

I'm sure he will slide down most of the polls, but I view him as a better prospect than some who are rated higher.

What I find most interesting in the farm system now is the Dayton team. The Reds MUST make decisions on most of the AAA crowd very soon. Then we can all watch the Dayton guys move up the chain and see who emerges from that group.

1) Mesoraco- he’s good
    2) Corcino- putting up great numbers and his upside is at least close to, if not equal to Stephenson.
    3) Grandal- would like to see him outside of Bakersfield for a while, but looks like another plus bat behind the plate
    4) Alonso- plate discipline should make for an easy transition to the show. A tick more power in the second half would be nice.
    5) Stephenson- tons of upside
    6) Cozart- probably wouldn’t be this high elsewhere, but there’s something to be said for pro caliber skills ready to contribute for six years.
    7) Yorman- plenty of bust potential, but the most likely of the young guys at Dayton to have that “click” moment IMO.
    8) Sappelt- less power, but possibly a better overall hitter than Heisey. Another guy to throw into the left field mix.
    9) Boxberger- limited value in the pen, but should be pitching some high leverage innings in the near future
    10) Frazier- I feel like he’s the next Cozart if Rolen can’t turn things around at some point. Showing impressive power
    11) Soto- Kind of the anti-Alonso now. Showing huge power so far, but plate discipline is still suspect.
    12) Sulbaran- frequently shows dominating ability and is still young. Overlooked pitcher IMO
    13) Torreyes- cant really ignore him anymore. Elite contact ability, good defense, and showing some surprising pop.
    14) Duran- strikeouts are alarming and I don’t expect him to put it together overnight, but showing signs of progress along with enormous raw power
    15) Hamilton- speed is great. the rest of his game is just so rough
    16) Guillon- horrible start so far, but looks like another high upside young arm
    17) Francisco- looking like a cautionary tale to kids who think walks don’t matter. I’d like to see him in the pros somewhere just out of curiosity, but not for us.
    18) Junior Arias- another rough start, but scouts were all over him last year
    19) Sean Buckley- hard to know what we have yet, but size and power is always a nice start.
    20) Gabriel Rosa- more of a hunch here than anything, but his draft video looks frickin nasty
    Last edited by Superdude; 07-12-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Francisco had a slow start this year and got hurt. I thought he looked excellent in his last game with the Reds, in which he got a key hit and later was hurt. He had very few opportunities this year at the major league level. In the minors, he did fine until his recent injury. I know, he still doesn't walk much at the minor league levels.

I know that his star is dimmer now, particularly with all the injuries, but I have confidence that he can be a good major league hitter, at least against righty pitching.

I'm sure he will slide down most of the polls, but I view him as a better prospect than some who are rated higher.

What I find most interesting in the farm system now is the Dayton team. The Reds MUST make decisions on most of the AAA crowd very soon. Then we can all watch the Dayton guys move up the chain and see who emerges from that group.
    Agreed. That's one reason I'm heavily in favor of a trade for Jiminez... we need to do something with these prospects instead of letting them linger for too long in AAA. Look at what's happened with Valaika; there's no reason to waste this value.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    1) Mesoraco- he’s good
    2) Corcino- putting up great numbers and his upside is at least close to, if not equal to Stephenson.
    3) Grandal- would like to see him outside of Bakersfield for a while, but looks like another plus bat behind the plate
    4) Alonso- plate discipline should make for an easy transition to the show. A tick more power in the second half would be nice.
    5) Stephenson- tons of upside
    6) Cozart- probably wouldn’t be this high elsewhere, but there’s something to be said for pro caliber skills ready to contribute for six years.
    7) Yorman- plenty of bust potential, but the most likely of the young guys at Dayton to have that “click” moment IMO.
    8) Sappelt- less power, but possibly a better overall hitter than Heisey. Another guy to throw into the left field mix.
    9) Boxberger- limited value in the pen, but should be pitching some high leverage innings in the near future
    10) Frazier- I feel like he’s the next Cozart if Rolen can’t turn things around at some point. Showing impressive power
    11) Soto- Kind of the anti-Alonso now. Showing huge power so far, but plate discipline is still suspect.
    12) Sulbaran- frequently shows dominating ability and is still young. Overlooked pitcher IMO
    13) Torreyes- cant really ignore him anymore. Elite contact ability, good defense, and showing some surprising pop.
    14) Duran- strikeouts are alarming and I don’t expect him to put it together overnight, but showing signs of progress along with enormous raw power
    15) Hamilton- speed is great. the rest of his game is just so rough
    16) Guillon- horrible start so far, but looks like another high upside young arm
    17) Francisco- looking like a cautionary tale to kids who think walks don’t matter. I’d like to see him in the pros somewhere just out of curiosity, but not for us.
    18) Junior Arias- another rough start, but scouts were all over him last year
    19) Sean Buckley- hard to know what we have yet, but size and power is always a nice start.
    20) Gabriel Rosa- more of a hunch here than anything, but his draft video looks frickin nasty
    Couple things I'd change, but this looks like the best list I've seen so far, or at least closest to mine anyway. I might bring Yorman closer together to the other Dayton hitters, and add a guy like Barnhart before Buckley, but overall this seems pretty good.

Couple other guys I'd place closer together would be Stephenson and Corcino, Sappelt and Alonso (although I prefer Alonso), and Guillon and Sulbaran.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not trying to knock Francisco, but I don't really even look at him as a big time prospect anymore. I think Superdude has it right with him at #17. I agree with his comment on him too.

Edit to add that I love superdude's top 5. Totally agree. My top 20 is coming tomorrow.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-12-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I've been trying to keep close tabs on this and here's my stab at it:

1. Devin Mesoraco – C
    2. Yonder Alonso – 1B/LF
    3. Yasmani Grandal – C
    4. Zack Cozart – SS
    5. Yorman Rodriguez – CF
    6. Juan Francisco – 3B
    7. Brad Boxberger – RHP
    8. Dave Sappelt – OF
    9. Billy Hamilton – SS/2B
    10. Todd Frazier – 3B/LF
    11. Robert Stephenson – RHP
    12. Daniel Corcino – RHP
    13. Juan Duran – OF
    14. Neftali Soto – 1B
    15. Ronald Torreyes – 2B
    16. Josh Smith – RHP
    17. Drew Hayes – RHP
    18. Ismeal Guillon – LHP
    19. Ryan LaMarre – OF
    20. Tony Cingrani – LHP

EDIT: Others Receiving Votes (in order): Kyle Lotzkar, Tucker Barnhart, Gabriel Rosa, Josh Fellhauer, Sean Buckley, Kyle Waldrop, Henry Rodriguez, David Vidal, Stephen Hunt, Daniel Renken, Alejandro Chacin.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 07-13-2011 at 12:17 AM.

1. Devin Mesoraco C (AAA)
    Best catching prospect in Cincinnati since Johnny Bench. Offensive power could mean he's the cleanup hitter the Reds need desperately.
    2. Yasmani Grandal C (AA)
    If not for Mesoraco, Redszone would be up in arms over Grandal, who's shown more at the lower level than did Mesoraco. The combination of the two is icing on the cake at this point.
    3. Daniel Corcino SP (A)
    A young Johnny Cueto? Yes, please.
    4. Dave Sappelt CF/LF (AAA)
    Power is underrated. He could play CF right now for half the teams in baseball. A possible All-Star up the middle with monster numbers for two years now. Problematic injuries keep him this low.
    5. Yonder Alonso 1B/LF (AAA)
    Looks like a Sean Casey clone to me. That's not bad at all-- but it's not a top prospect at 1B either.
    6. Billy Hamilton SS (A)
    Major problems early this season with the advanced level, but his bat is coming around. Speed is for real and glove-- though raw-- looks to be solid to Gold Glove level, as his range and arm flash well above average.
    7. Yorman Rodriguez CF (A)
    Yonder is in the same boat as Slidin' Billy, but without the world class speed. His power might play, but his attitude is reportedly a problem. Worrisome, to say the least.
    8. Ronald Torreyes 2B (A)
    All he does is hit. And field. And hit with surprising power. Great scouting reports and statistics show well. Small sample size, but all reports look promising.
    9. Zack Cozart SS (AAA)
    Looks great so far in Cincinnati, but not that good. Will play very good defense and show very good pop. Nice value for this low in the rankings.
    10. Juan Francisco 3B (AAA)
    Francisco is what he is-- a masher that plays below average defensively and won't walk very much. He'd be a monster bat if used properly. Still very young.
    11. Todd Frazier IF/OF (AAA)
    Could be flipped with Francisco, but he's older. Love the versatility and the power. Should be in the majors now.
    12. Brad Boxberger RP (AAA)
    Best season by a Red pitcher in the minor league, IMO. Has a closer-type arm and stuff. Looks like he might be ready as early as September.
    13. Juan Duran RF (A)
    Moved up in the rankings, but position and K rate are problems that need to be addressed. Still, should be in Billings at best. Nice season so far.
    14. Neftali Soto 1B (AA)
    Before you question the ranking, look at his numbers. Then remember his wrist and hamate bone injuries. This is how a 1B is supposed to hit.
    15. Tucker Brandhardt C (A)
    Love the youth and offensive prowess at such a tender age. Already a very good defensive catcher that also looks like he might be able to hit. Three pretty monster catching prospects at three levels.
    16. Josh Smith SP (A)
    Old for his level, but those numbers look great. Stuff doesn't seem too bad either, though you could say that about many Red pitchers.
    17. Donnie Joseph RP (AA)
    Really poor numbers this season, but I see that slider and think he could be useful as either a set-up guy or a middle reliever.
    18. Sean Buckley 3B (R)
    Nice combination of power and hit stick. A little old for the level, but a move to Dayton next season could cement Buckley as the heir apparent at the hot corner. One to watch, certainly.
    19. Henry Rodriguez 2B (AA)
    Has a 900 OPS as a 2B. 'Nuff said.
    20. Kyle Lotzkar SP (A)
    Still has that arm. Still has those injury questions. Still in my Top 20.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1. Devin Mesoraco C (AAA)
    Best catching prospect in Cincinnati since Johnny Bench. Offensive power could mean he's the cleanup hitter the Reds need desperately.
    2. Yasmani Grandal C (AA)
    If not for Mesoraco, Redszone would be up in arms over Grandal, who's shown more at the lower level than did Mesoraco. The combination of the two is icing on the cake at this point.
    3. Daniel Corcino SP (A)
    A young Johnny Cueto? Yes, please.
    4. Dave Sappelt CF/LF (AAA)
    Power is underrated. He could play CF right now for half the teams in baseball. A possible All-Star up the middle with monster numbers for two years now. Problematic injuries keep him this low.
    5. Yonder Alonso 1B/LF (AAA)
    Looks like a Sean Casey clone to me. That's not bad at all-- but it's not a top prospect at 1B either.
    6. Billy Hamilton SS (A)
    Major problems early this season with the advanced level, but his bat is coming around. Speed is for real and glove-- though raw-- looks to be solid to Gold Glove level, as his range and arm flash well above average.
    7. Yorman Rodriguez CF (A)
    Yonder is in the same boat as Slidin' Billy, but without the world class speed. His power might play, but his attitude is reportedly a problem. Worrisome, to say the least.
    8. Ronald Torreyes 2B (A)
    All he does is hit. And field. And hit with surprising power. Great scouting reports and statistics show well. Small sample size, but all reports look promising.
    9. Zack Cozart SS (AAA)
    Looks great so far in Cincinnati, but not that good. Will play very good defense and show very good pop. Nice value for this low in the rankings.
    10. Juan Francisco 3B (AAA)
    Francisco is what he is-- a masher that plays below average defensively and won't walk very much. He'd be a monster bat if used properly. Still very young.
    11. Todd Frazier IF/OF (AAA)
    Could be flipped with Francisco, but he's older. Love the versatility and the power. Should be in the majors now.
    12. Brad Boxberger RP (AAA)
    Best season by a Red pitcher in the minor league, IMO. Has a closer-type arm and stuff. Looks like he might be ready as early as September.
    13. Juan Duran RF (A)
    Moved up in the rankings, but position and K rate are problems that need to be addressed. Still, should be in Billings at best. Nice season so far.
    14. Neftali Soto 1B (AA)
    Before you question the ranking, look at his numbers. Then remember his wrist and hamate bone injuries. This is how a 1B is supposed to hit.
    15. Tucker Brandhardt C (A)
    Love the youth and offensive prowess at such a tender age. Already a very good defensive catcher that also looks like he might be able to hit. Three pretty monster catching prospects at three levels.
    16. Josh Smith SP (A)
    Old for his level, but those numbers look great. Stuff doesn't seem too bad either, though you could say that about many Red pitchers.
    17. Donnie Joseph RP (AA)
    Really poor numbers this season, but I see that slider and think he could be useful as either a set-up guy or a middle reliever.
    18. Sean Buckley 3B (R)
    Nice combination of power and hit stick. A little old for the level, but a move to Dayton next season could cement Buckley as the heir apparent at the hot corner. One to watch, certainly.
    19. Henry Rodriguez 2B (AA)
    Has a 900 OPS as a 2B. 'Nuff said.
    20. Kyle Lotzkar SP (A)
    Still has that arm. Still has those injury questions. Still in my Top 20.
    Your Soto ranking is awful. You ask for others not to criticize it, but I can't help it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Nice list, Scrap.

I would maybe move Duran up and Francisco down a bit, but overall very nice. I don't have a problem at all with Soto jumping back into big time prospect status. He's having a great year in AA and still very young. He might even be top 10 before the year is finished.

Turn Off Ads?